Any last minute prep stuff I should do before picking up my new FJR Tomorrow?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
I am going to pickup my 07 FJR AE tomorrow and would just like to make sure all my ducks are in a row. Is there anything that should be done to my FJR prior to pickup? Seems like they are supposed to include side bag liners, 3 keys, have some recall updates not sure what else. Can't wait. It's gonna be a great day, minus the heat. Also anything you would buy from the Dealer? I already have all my gear so I don't need any of that thanks to "New Enough."

Also here is the list of Farkles that I would like to do:

1. Skyway sliders: Question about these, I see some advertising uncut or longer sliders. Which should I buy?

2. Givi Trunk: Looking at the E52. What mount bracket is the best? I also want the tail light kit, backrest and matching Lid. Who Paints them?

3. G2 Throttle Tube

4. Zumo: Sucks cause I bought one last year and then sold it when I figured this bike was not going to happen for along time.

Anything else you would recommend so I can get doing some mail order?

Also with the above items is there a prefered place to buy from on the internet? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I will post up some pics for sure of the Big day..... Count down is T- 22hrs and counting.

Skyway sliders are a must, avail at skywaymoto.com

G2 is a must IMO, not sure where I got mine from.

Zumo is avail at buydig.com and pcnation.com for the lowest prices I've seen.

The Givi V46 comes pre-painted to match, not sure about the E52. However, someone on the board (Garald maybe?) has done a phenomenal job of painting other's lids to match.

As for the dealer, make sure they locktite the side case locks (if not, you need to ASAP). Also ask the pre-delivery install guy if he double checked the steering head torque.

See if it has the new ECM as well.

As for other farkles, I'd recommend the XM radio attachment to the Zumo and a communication system such as Starcom or Autocom.

Hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend :

Service manual.

Suzuki Handguards.

Throttle lock - Nep or Vista Cruise

Moly grease [ for entire drive-line and suspension links ] Synthetic gear oil - for final drive.[ which you will change with your first oil change, won't you ? Pick up a coupla extra oil filters and crush washers while you're at the dealers, too.

IMO, save your money on the Givi light kit and buy the rack for the top of the trunk { same price ]

" Speeder's Guide To Avoiding Tickets" from Whitehorse Press ....no kidding

Sliders are like life insurance, we hate to spend the money but those that don't are pretty selfish. I have sliders that I have yet to use, but again like life insurance, I probably will.

I strongly recommend you follow the break-in procedure outlined in one of the other websites. I left the dealer after picking up my new '07 and didn't shut it off except to buy gas for the first 200 miles. I ran it hard but never exceeded Yamaha's break-in guidelines. The stuff that I drained out looked like I was panning for aluminum and steel. I refilled with Yamalube 10W40 mineral oil and continued the break-in until returning to the dealer at 800 miles for the warranty service. I just changed the oil again at 3,000 and it looks very nice. I changed both the oil and filter each time and will continue to use 10W40 mineral oil until around 10,000 before switching to a synthetic blend (lots of room for debate here).

I added the G2 throttle tube and I probably wouldn't do it again. I didn't get near the improvement I did when I removed the gas tank and made a big cable "free-play" adjustment. The grip puppies were a pleasant surprise and well worth the few dollars they cost. I would definitely recommend a Throttlemeister or some type of throttle lock if you plan on any rides over 200 miles. I do a lot of highway rides and I wouldn't be without a lock of some type. I don't think the abrupt throttle can be removed entirely without a ECU program change such as the PCIII recommended by many folks here. I've ridden fuel injected motorcycles for many years (BMW's) and it just seems to be getting worse as emission requriements get more strict.

I added Hyperlites inside my taillight housings to help let those behind me know when I was applying the brakes.

Cycle Gear sells 1 & 1/2" "fisheye" mirrors that I have used on several bikes and like a throttle lock, I wouldn't leave home without them.

Most of my farkles have been tested on motorcycles used over the past 40+ years of riding. So what's valuable on one brand is usually valuable on another.

Have fun and ride safe.

OBD

Just curious on the size of the Yamaha Trunk compared to the GIVI Trunk. Would the Yamaha be comparable in size to the Givi 46 or 52? Thanks. Thanks for all the other replies, I am taking note and will be following alot of the suggestions....

sliders

Russell seat

lube the final gear

grip puppies

Heli triple clamp

throttle spring rewind

Fiamm or magnum horns

headlight guards

heated grips

Wild Bill's hwy mounts

pegs for Bill's mounts

cramp buster

power commander (group buy right now!)

tire inflator and tire repair kit

riding boots, gloves, reputable helmet, and motoport kevlar gear

ear plugs

gps unit

datel monitoring

another shield if you wanna avoid the wind

another suspension if you want increased improvement in this area

tank protection if you ride it like a baby monkey on its mother's back

helmet locks

bar ends

radiator guard if you're skittish about something going thru your radiator besides wind and water

hyper lites or back off lights

replace headlights with HID

Money to pay for all of this stuff.....

What did I miss?? ;)

Sliders were farkle #1 on my bike.

For riding in the heat, a Camelback full of iced water is necessary out here! I also wear a gel-filled Mira-cool tie around my neck and a wet bandanna on my noggin! It's supposed to be 107 here tomorrow!

I'll be riding my FJR to Mojave for work, so if you're interested, I could meet you in Tehachapi after work (5-ish) and show you how I've outfitted my bike. PM me if interested.

Just curious on the size of the Yamaha Trunk compared to the GIVI Trunk. Would the Yamaha be comparable in size to the Givi 46 or 52? Thanks. Thanks for all the other replies, I am taking note and will be following alot of the suggestions....
I don't know about the Yamaha case's actual volume Yamaha shows their case as 1.83 cu. ft. which is almost exactly 52 liters, but the Givi cases are wider, which give a more useable volume.

2. Givi Trunk: Looking at the E52. What mount bracket is the best? I also want the tail light kit, backrest and matching Lid. Who Paints them?
The light kit is for brake lights, not tail lights. They're not excessively bright, pretty much unnoticable in full daylight, but a nice extra at night. There is someone who makes an LED replacement for it, as the Givi set is plain ol' incandescent bulbs. If you want the kit, you want to use Givi's mount set (SR357 for GenII bikes) because that's where the electrical connection will go. The best source, just because shipping is cheap (10 bucks. period.) is here.

Seems like they are supposed to include side bag liners, 3 keys, have some recall updates not sure what else.

2 keys are included. 3 locks should be provided - 2 of them already installed in the sidecases and an extra lock that is used on the Yamaha top case so your key can operate all the locks on the bike.

Congrats and have fun!

So this is what I have ordered so far today:

Skyway Delrin Sliders

Real Time Industries Reflective Decals for Side Bags

I am really confused as to which GIVI to buy. V46 or E52. I am leaning towards the E52 cause I have alot of fire gear to haul between stations when working overtime. The other thing is which Mount to use. I really like the SW mount and there was another one I found using the search function but it seem like some people had some issues with the SW mount. Think I will order the GIVI from twisted throttle. They seem to have decent prices. Just not sure which mount to get. Any suggestions on what you like?

I also need to decide on a Tank Bag. I need something large but not impractical and one that is easy on and off. Did a search and there are tons to choose from. Most threads entitled which tank bag is best didn't even have a clear winner. What's your take?

Check your front axle pinch bolts. Mine were left loose. Amen to the loctite on the case locks. Mine were loose after about 500 miles.

I got a decent tank bag at a local Cycle Gear for like 45 bucks. Congrats on the new bike.

PS. What are the hooligans going to think of this new bike?

I read THIS and THIS before picking it up. I printed off the first list.

I bought oil and filter while at the dealership for the first oil change at 200miles. As someone already said, there are lots of bad things floating in that muck.

My first two farkles:

Sliders

Tank bag (Nelson Riggs CL-50 for me, the yamaha one is nice too)

It's a much longer list after the first year of riding :)

The rest will come as you ride the bike. My suggestion/opinion is to ride stock for a while and see what YOU need. While our lists are constantly growing, you might find that, like I have, some farkles are not necessary.