Any special considerations when bleeding ABS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knnelg

Reaction score
Hi,

I've asked this same query in another forum, but in the interests of gathering a broad responce, I've also posted here.

I want to replace the brake fluid on my 05 ABS FJR.

I'm comfortable bleeding brakes, but I've never done an ABS system before. Is there any special procedures or gotcha's with ABS, or is it just the same as a non-ABS setup?

Regards,

Glenn

Hi,
I've asked this same query in another forum, but in the interests of gathering a broad responce, I've also posted here.

I want to replace the brake fluid on my 05 ABS FJR.

I'm comfortable bleeding brakes, but I've never done an ABS system before. Is there any special procedures or gotcha's with ABS, or is it just the same as a non-ABS setup?

Regards,

Glenn
Glenn,

I have replaced all the brake fluid in my 2005 ABS FJR. From my experience there was no special consideration to the fact this is an ABS system. I treated the replacement just the same as a non-ABS setup. About 15k miles later, no issues. I hope this helps! Cheers!

The manual says to use an SST to cycle the ABS pump so you get fluid moving through there. Last time I bled 'em, I skipped that step.

I follow up every bleed on Frank with an overnight full application of the brake levers, as in a bungee wrapped around the levers to fully apply them, hard as I can. This allows the last little bit of air to migrate up to the top, and upon release of the lever, it escapes into the reservoir. This has worked on every bike I've owned, with great success, as the lever is always harder and the feel improved over just a good bleed alone. FWIW
Good luck!

The manual says to use an SST to cycle the ABS pump so you get fluid moving through there. Last time I bled 'em, I skipped that step.

I follow up every bleed on Frank with an overnight full application of the brake levers, as in a bungee wrapped around the levers to fully apply them, hard as I can. This allows the last little bit of air to migrate up to the top, and upon release of the lever, it escapes into the reservoir. This has worked on every bike I've owned, with great success, as the lever is always harder and the feel improved over just a good bleed alone. FWIW
Good luck!
Wots a SST?

Thank's for the replies guy's.

From the feedback i've received so far it seems there is no special requirements, so i'm going to treat myself to a new vacum pump and do the job.

Tocutter, I'm with dcarver... could you explain what an SST is?

Thanks again

Glenn

An SST is a doo-hickey that cycles the ABS pump. :D

To get ALL the old fluid out, the ABS pump needs to be cycled. Not really necessary IMHO, as you still get 95% out bleeding by traditional methods.

If you're really anal, bleed/flush brakes, go out for a ride and brake hard enough that ABS activates and then go home and bleed/flush again.

Last edited by a moderator:
SST - Special Service Tool. They'll sell you one or, with ingenuity, one can make or adapt one's own....