Anybody install a dual headlight relay harness...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus
Reaction score
Headlight modulator search got me thinking and I checked out

1) Comagination Solid State dual H7 harness kit

looks plug n' play to me

2) Eastern Beaver Non H4 Universal Relay kit

Mechanical relays and non plug n' play

anybody using a relay harness on their headlights ???

Which one, how effective, how did it go, recommendations ???

yes, I did a search and came up empty :blink:

glad it's a "non Friday", :rolleyes:

Mike in Nawlins'

It isn't the relays (actually, there is no high-low relay), it is the skinny wiring they use - you lose about 10% of your light output due to voltage drops.

The typical solution is to run a larger gauge wire through automotive relays run back directly to the battery. The relays are driven by the factory wiring.

I've been toying with building and installing a harness . . . but I've got lots of other things to do queued up ahead of that project, assuming no one buys my bike.

Headlight modulator search got me thinking and I checked out1) Comagination Solid State dual H7 harness kit

looks plug n' play to me

Not using a headlight harness right now but have been considering installing one.

I don't see why you think the Eastern Beaver H4 Dual Headlight Relay Kit kit is not plug and play, this one is exactly that, and the one i've been thinking of buying.

Although technically the statements about the solid-state relays are correct, i don't see how using 300 mA to energize the mechanical relays by the bike's wiring & switch designed to power 2x55W bulbs is any kind of serious consideration. The mini relays used in the EB kit are rated at 20A vs 15A for the solid state relays and are made in Japan so they are of top quality.

Headlight modulator search got me thinking and I checked out1) Comagination Solid State dual H7 harness kit

looks plug n' play to me

Not using a headlight harness right now but have been considering installing one.

I don't see why you think the Eastern Beaver H4 Dual Headlight Relay Kit kit is not plug and play, this one is exactly that, and the one i've been thinking of buying.

Although technically the statements about the solid-state relays are correct, i don't see how using 300 mA to energize the mechanical relays by the bike's wiring & switch designed to power 2x55W bulbs is any kind of serious consideration. The mini relays used in the EB kit are rated at 20A vs 15A for the solid state relays and are made in Japan so they are of top quality.
As I understand, our Feejers have H7 bulbs and Eastern Beaver only sells a plug n play H4 kit

All FJRs definitely use H4

Gen I

SKU: 5V2-84314-00-XX

BULB (12V-60/55W) (H4) HALOGEN

Gen II

SKU: 2F9-84314-00-00

BULB (12V-60/55W) (H4) HALOGEN

Yes, on my HID's. IMO, you won't be happy enough with the results on your stock lights, so why go through the trouble? HID's! They're seen better....
There's no reason to use a harness to gain voltage for HIDs because the ballast is self regulating - and the plasma ball is a single brightness once started. That the HIDs draw 30% less poweer than the H4 also obviates the need.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently installed the Eastern Beaver plug n play harness as I needed to replace the bulbs anyway

There's a obvious improvement in lumens down the road in the dark over stock

I'm happy with it

YMMV

:yahoo:

Most of that gain is new bulbs, Mike. Bulbs coat the glass with tungsten as they age, even halogen bulbs, and a new bulb will have more light than an old one at the end of its life.

Not that I enjoy being argumentative just for the sake of argument. . . . . :argue:

So when you gonna convert and get a car tire?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I enjoy being argumentative just for the sake of argument. . . . . :argue:
youtalkingtome.gif

mooning.gif

So when you gonna convert and get a car tire?
Not at this time, in the near future, (or ever I'm guessing)

I'm quite happy with the feel of PR2 rear tires, I mail order them for around $145 total and pay $20 to have it mounted

For me, it's good for over 15k miles. I can easily live with that cost ratio. I have a spare rear sitting in the garage ready.

For what it's worth, I change out the front about every two rears...last one went 25k+

I'm not a particularily spirited rider now at my age, and am happy to ride distances on the slab with my cruise set

YMMV (hah!)