Anyone changed a wire-harness assy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
When I did the Barbarian mod... I kinda dicked up the wire, broke it in fact. I repaired it (soldered it) but it's not undoable.

I got the ECU notification today. Not that I've ever felt I needed it, but if'n I want to take it in for that I'm assuming I should undo my repair :unsure: or at least make it better.

Any idea what it the part costs? I'll give Mike a call tomorrow. I suspect it's not cheap.

They may not care, but then they might.

When I did the Barbarian mod... I kinda dicked up the wire, broke it in fact. I repaired it (soldered it) but it's not undoable.
I got the ECU notification today. Not that I've ever felt I needed it, but if'n I want to take it in for that I'm assuming I should undo my repair :unsure: or at least make it better.

Any idea what it the part costs? I'll give Mike a call tomorrow. I suspect it's not cheap.

They may not care, but then they might.
If your repair works, I wouldn't worry about changing the wiring harness. You're opening up a huge can of worms for a very small problem IMO. If you really want to fix that wire, you could possibly get a partial wiring harness from a motorcycle junk yard, and just splice into your existing harnes and replace the one fubar'd wire. The dealers arn't looking for ways to reject your warenty repair. They know there's a problem, and they have the cure, and mama yama is paying them to fix it.

I'm going to wager you'll end up paying $250 for the wiring harness.

It seems like alot of work just for a simple job IMHO. If you really don't want your dealer to see your little mess, you might want to considering asking Mike at U motors if he would work with you to get a replacement ECU. I seem to recall someone doing that with the TPS recall where they paid for the TPS, replaced it, and then returned the defective one for a refund.

Had a friend just fry the front part of his harness on his BMW. Seems they don't fuse the headlight circuit. (???)

There are 3 parts to "the front": The left front (turn, running, etc.), the right front (ditto), and the front front ( :) ).

IIRC: Each of the sections is more than $250 and the front front is closer to $500 to $800.

I mention this just to get you ready for sticker shock if it happens.

Last edited by a moderator: