anyone disappointed by Garmin Zumo 550?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no longer blue FJR

Reaction score
It's Father's Day and better half said she would get me what I want. Am interested in Garmin Zumo 550 for my 05 FJR and truck. Does it come complete and ready to use or do you have to buy a bunch of other stuff to get it to work in 2 vehicles? Anybody have problems with the Zumo?

Yes, on the web they can be had for ~$680.

Which is probably cost or there abouts. I know some say there are issues with buying from "Non Garmin" certified dealers, but, my dad picked one up for $670, used it for two months and it 'died' Garmin replaced it, no questions asked.

There seems to be a percentage of first run units that had some issues.

I recently used one on the MD2020 rally and it worked out extremely well, except for running us down a road that was no longer a road. :(

I am very very happy with the Zumo.

Bullshite! Once you add the XM antenna and appropriate comm system wiring, mount, etc., you're looking at close to or over a grand. I was gonna upgrade my 276C after looking at bikeeffects 550 and when I got done figgerin' all the add-ons for both bikes, I said screw it. That thing ain't worth that kinda coin, IMO.

Bullshite! Once you add the XM antenna and appropriate comm system wiring, mount, etc., you're looking at close to or over a grand. I was gonna upgrade my 276C after looking at bikeeffects 550 and when I got done figgerin' all the add-ons for both bikes, I said screw it. That thing ain't worth that kinda coin, IMO.
Nothing bullshite about it... The Zumo 550 can be had for $680, and mounted for that price, it comes with all you need. Clicky

Now you might want to add XM, and it's true it doesn't come with the XM antenae. But that can be had for $180 if you shop around, you don't have to pay $300 for that and you're dumb if you do.

No matter what GPS you buy you're going to need a mount, and you may not like the mount it comes with.

The 27xx/28xx series might be a better value since it comes with the XM reciever. But the Zumo is smaller and I like that.

No matter what GPS you buy if you're going to tie it into a comm system there will be cables involved.

Yes, you can easily sink a grand into a Zumo install, but you don't have too.

thanks for all your help. I did find and read most of the posts on the Zumo 550. The nice people didn't yell at me to go there, simply helped upon request. This seems like a nice place.

Only one other thing to add to the guy's comments about being a small business owner. The other side of that coin shows up when a business offers such good prices and is forced to go out of business. The way I look at it is, I want then to charge me enough so they will be there the next time I need them.

Thank you for all your help.

Nothing bullshite about it... The Zumo 550 can be had for $680, and mounted for that price, it comes with all you need. Clicky
Now you might want to add XM, and it's true it doesn't come with the XM antenae. But that can be had for $180 if you shop around, you don't have to pay $300 for that and you're dumb if you do.

No matter what GPS you buy you're going to need a mount, and you may not like the mount it comes with.

The 27xx/28xx series might be a better value since it comes with the XM reciever. But the Zumo is smaller and I like that.

No matter what GPS you buy if you're going to tie it into a comm system there will be cables involved.

Yes, you can easily sink a grand into a Zumo install, but you don't have too.

Oh, I know you can get it for $680 and 180 for the the antenna, but add, as most of us will do, an SD card, Comm cable and Stem mount and you're at 1 large.

By the way, here's a little jewel I found at the Garmin site:

NOTICE TO DRIVERS IN CALIFORNIA AND MINNESOTA: State law prohibits drivers in California and Minnesota from using suction mounts on their windshields while operating motor vehicles. Other Garmin dashboard or friction mounting options should be used. Garmin does not take any responsibility for any fines, penalties, or damages that may be incurred as a result of disregarding this notice. (See California Vehicle Code Section 26708(a); Minnesota Statutes 2005, Section 169.71)

Remind me not to take you on as an Outside Sales Rep!

Oh, I can be convinced otherwise by a SBE.com Super Duper 75% Convincing Discount! :grin:

Did you look into a 376? All the mounting & wiring should be the same.

Oh, I can be convinced otherwise by a SBE.com Super Duper 75% Convincing Discount! :grin:
Drinking again, eh??