Anyone have/had a TomTom One XL-S??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerous Dave

The older I get, the faster I was...
Reaction score
Started to put this in another related thread, but afraid it will get lost in the shuffle. As the subject says, I'm looking to get the wife a GPS. It would be for car use only (already have a waterproof Garmin for the bikes), and user friendliness is high priority...I don't want this to end up on the shelf with all the other gadgets I've bought her. Price is also important, just in case it does end up on the previously mentioned shelf. So I found a refurbed TomTom One XL-S for $121 shipped, just trying to ascertain if it's worth it, if it will fit the bill, or if there's a better choice, given my criteria. Any and all useful info is appreciated.

Tanks,

I have a TomTom One and a XL 730 (IIRC) along with a dozen or so others including Jensen, Hardon/Karmon, and of course Garmin. They are all about the same as long as you're not in rally mode. For typing in an address and getting there they're all about the same.

TomTom One I got my mom works great and she is about as technilogically challenged as they come.

I think the only difference is the screen size of the XL but she has had it a yr and no issues whatsoever.

I have one as well. The only cons are those usually listed in the reviews, and they aren't really bad. The "keyboard" for inputting addresses and such isn't in qwerty format, which for me take a second to adjust to. Also, the way you enter addresses is a little weird at first.

However, other than those minor quibbles it has worked admirably. It got me everywhere I wanted to go, and the text to speech function was a definite plus.

PS I also got a refurb unit from buy.com