Anyone have the Shark Evoline?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KhromalusionaL

Reaction score
Guys,

I am thinking about purchasing a Shark Evoline absolute and was wondering if anyone has one and what there thoughts are on them. Hows the noise, function, etc. Let me know. I also will be pairing it with a Scala Rider intercom system. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great timing on this post! I just returned from a 100CCC ride, I had a full face and realized if

I were going to do LD rides, I would need a modular (Or flip-up). There are many reviews out

on this helmet, but different types of riders look for different features. Sport riders comment on

its "heaviness". The LD riders I spoke to, like its diverse abilities. Thanks for your post- now back

to the riders who know. B)

I had a full face and realized if I were going to do LD rides, I would need a modular (Or flip-up).
This is exactly why I have stayed away from a modular helmet. I see many riders riding with them open and I don't want the temptation, knowing that I'll probably not have time to close it before crashing, not to mention the recent incidents regarding modular helmets that weren't on the riders head when the crash was discovered.

The only thing I can think of that would have had Davo remove his helmet and strap it to the bike, would have been that the release mechanism failed, not allowing the chin bar to be flipped up for "doing IBR stuff?", so he removed it for the last few miles. I did not post this theory in the IBR thread, but it's the only thing I could think of for why he would elect to ride without a helmet.

I have always heard the flip ups had problems flipping open during crashes where a rider hit their face while crashing. They look like a great convenience but I will stick to my full face until those rumors have been proven wrong to me. If anyone has some proof please post it.

I totally understand the risks involved with owning a flip up and have been taking it with great concideration (sp). Is there anything good to say about the shark evoline?

yeah yeah yeah, yada yada yada

ya pays ya moneys and ya makes ya choices

speculation, possibilities, yada yada

I am happy there is such a thing as a flip compared to an open face helmet

For LD riding, I choose a flip

Many others do also

ya make ya choice

carry on,

Mike in Nawlins'

I don't use a flip, but have noticed that most now have the release mechanism on the inside of the chin area and some have 2 release points. And as a manufacture told me it is intended to help keep it from opening when you take the short trip down the button is not on the front so it wont hit and open -- looks like a good idea! but still not Snell approved (should that be a concern)

the shark evoline locks into place differently than most "flip ups". You have to decide for yourself

what safety risks you give up. For me, eating on the go, beef jerky up the nose is far too distracting. :lol:

I like the features it offers.

Looks great. I really like the convertible nature of the thing.

I have a Shoei Multitec modular that I'm very happy with. The bolts for the closing mechanism look solid. I never ride with the helmet flipped up, though if I were doing long distance in hot weather with the Evoline, I probably would.

I also really like the drop-down sun shield. I'd like that (and Bluetooth) on my next helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are riding with the helmet flipped up, the helmet is no longer considered DOT compliant and if there is an officer that knows what to look for expect a ticket if you ride where helmets are required.

If you are riding with the helmet flipped up, the helmet is no longer considered DOT compliant and if there is an officer that knows what to look for expect a ticket if you ride where helmets are required.

That would have to be one bored ass cop to not only pull you over, but ticket you for that infraction.

I got my Evoline this spring and have ridden with it all summer for about 15,000 miles. Current helmet collection includes, Arai, KBC Flip, Roof, Icon and Arai dualsport. All of these have been hanging on the wall since I got the Evoline. I really like this helmet. Much quieter than the KBC. Good fit and the sun shield is great. Only negative is that the shield tends to scuff a little where it rubs on the gasket at the top. Shield removes and installs better than ANY other I have ever encountered!

I would highly recommend it!

SteveF

2006 AE

That would have to be one bored ass cop to not only pull you over, but ticket you for that infraction.
Hey, I had a bicycle cop ticket me for an open visor, while I was sitting at a light downtown in 100+ degree heat. The cop didn't know that prescription glasses count as a visor, so it was simple to bring that up in court and get it dismissed. It was fun seeing the cop get dressed down by the judge for not knowing the law.

For shark money you should consider the Schuberth C-3, it has sunvisor, safe flip up and is ECE certified (better than snell arguably). Plus they make helmets for F1, and those guys crash more than us.

https://www.schuberth.com/index.php?id=362&L=1

But as for the shark there was talk on a group ride last night about it, and the guys who own s triumph dealership in town that sells shoei and arai told us to get the shark instead. FWIW

The Shark Evoline is apperantlly the only helmet made that is both certifed as a full face with the chin guard down and as an open face with the chin guard up. It is unlike a flip helmet in that both the sheild and sun visor can be used in both positions. It is approved by both DOT and 2 European standards.

It all boils down to everyone was a different head so try it on.

I tryed one on and it felt fine and didn't seem any heavier than my Nolon. :ph34r: