Anyone heard of them or have one?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know in the FZ6 community I came from, Top Saddlery seats were considered very good and were known to have some incredible sales from time to time on overstocks. French outfit IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know in the FZ6 community I came from, Top Saddlery seats were considered very good and were known to have some incredible sales from time to time on overstocks. French outfit IIRC.
Yes, they seem to have a pretty good sale going on at the moment on some overstock seats. Less than $400 shipped.

Looks nice, yes. Doesn't appear to be more than a new cover, however, so no improvement in comfort.

When looking through their zoomed in viewer, I noted the "heater" and "gel" options marked as "none". So the one I was looking at was essentially a stock seat with a new cover.

Plus, adding the options ups the price, then you need to do the conversion from Euros. I suspect in the end it might not be the bargain it seems like on first blush.

Looks nice, yes. Doesn't appear to be more than a new cover, however, so no improvement in comfort.
When looking through their zoomed in viewer, I noted the "heater" and "gel" options marked as "none". So the one I was looking at was essentially a stock seat with a new cover.

Plus, adding the options ups the price, then you need to do the conversion from Euros. I suspect in the end it might not be the bargain it seems like on first blush.
I didn't think it looked like a stock seat recovered. The back of the drivers seat where your butt would reat up against looks built up and built up in the front a little too. I looked at the "07" one up close. (right side of the page)

I agree it does look different. Given they offer options like adding heating, and gel padding, though, there's a good chance these are a "mostly" restyled stock seat. Again, it's tough to tell. We're both looking at the same images and interpreting them differently. Plus, *my* desire for greater comfort may be drastically different than everyone else. My butt might need wings, whereas other butts may not. ;)

Still, almost 200 Euros, translates to $260 today... so the real question is this, IMO:

Is the difference between this seat option cost and say, a Russell, enough for someone to take the plunge, buy one and see if it's a good seat?

It'd suck to spend $260 to learn the seat isn't all that hot sh1t. It'd also suck to pay over $400 for a Russell to realize you could have paud leass... ;)

I guess we really just need a tester...

Who's up for buyin' & tryin'?

The seat looks rounded on top instead of a bucket look, like most of your custom seats. I also read on another forum that someone had one on a ST1300 and said he couldn't ride long before it became uncomfortable.

Idonno, Seems to me that it has been reshaped from stock but nothing like a custom fitted Russel or Rich's seat.. The overstock could be a deal but what would interest me would be a heated gel seat. For that it'd be quite a lot more money. I'm gonna give the Yamaha 'comfort' seat a try. I don't have need for wider support so the gel might just do it for me. Worst case is I'll have a spare seat to send out for a custom rebuild! :)

And I'm thinkin I'd probably just heat my shorts anyway! :D

Sportsguy - I agree with you. I guess I was really hoping to see someone reply saying "Yes, I have one...they are great!" But I guess that's not going to happen. The website has VERY limited information on it which makes it really hard to even consider taking a chance on it.

Rod

Over the years I spent more than that $400 on all sorts of things in my attempt to avoid spending the money on a custom seat. After my first trip to Russell, I saved my money by going straight to them on the next bike(s).

Over the years I spent more than that $400 on all sorts of things in my attempt to avoid spending the money on a custom seat. After my first trip to Russell, I saved my money by going straight to them on the next bike(s).

:poster_stupid:

Yeah, I'm that stupid too. I bought a whole different bunch'a seats until I figured out the Russell was the real deal. I'll never do that again on any future bikes, and I hope I have lots'a future bikes (they all need Russell seats) and that they stay in bidness!

Triple here.

Tried an Airhawk for a while. Have a Rick Mayer that's pretty good.

But, next seat I'm saving the money and buying a Russell.

I took Bounce's advise and went straight to Russell. My only regret was in not doing it SOONER! :D