Anyone Here Think The Wilbers Are Trash?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanktar

Over the hill--and going faster!
Reaction score
A moderator on the FZ1OA board, named "Desmo", has switched over from the FZ1 to a nice, used '05 ABS. While he loves it, the stock suspension is hammering him (not a surprise). He's looking at an Ohlins shock.

Meanwhile, another poster there, Apex Molester, told him the Wilbers was a POS. Personally, I think A/M is either pulling Desmo's leg, or is out of his mind. I LOVE the improvement in the ride from the Wilbers. It was a royal pain in the butt to get it--the thing took two months longer to get than promised, but, in the end (pun intended! :haha: ) it was worth it.

So has ANYBODY installed the Wilbers shock on their FJR and NOT been delighted with the improvement???? I find the ride is firmer and I "feel" the road more, but the rough sections and potholes are just swallowed without the spine-jarring toss-you-off-the-seat effects of the stock shock.

Some people equate price with quality. Works and Wilbers are both good. The Works has some "old tech" in them according to those who are "in the know" but that (they say) makes them easy to rebuild. The trick is that will the average rider see the benefit out of double the investment for an Ohlins? Most won't and, if the Wilbers of Works is set up right, the difference is minimal at best (again according to some folks whose suspension knowledge far outstrips mine).

Thanks, Bounce.

I'm not offering up any criticism of Works shocks--they are supposed to be fine. I'm just wondering if any of us are DIS-satisfied with the Wilbers performance--Obviously I am very happy with it.

One also needs to consider the source of this claim. I recall this Apexmolester from the old EZCrap board; doesn't matter what the subject was, the dude couldn't be made happy no matter what..... now where is my "asshat" emoction.... :haha:

To answer your question, the Wilbers on both my FJR and my Blackbird have been flawless for me.

asshat.gif
This one?

asshat.gif
This one?
Yeah, I think that's the one.

Yeah, Warchild, Apex Molester is the same guy on several boards.

'Nuf Ced!

PS: Guess I started this thread in the wrong place. Mea Culpa!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I haven't wanted to post up this before to avoid raining on anyone's group buy parade... but hey flame on if you must..

I'm not happy with the whole Wilbers experience. The rear shock was shipped with a crap spring rate from Wilbers, and I have to pay to return it to them when they fawked it up.

Even though I gave them my weight, pillion info, bags weight, riding style etc etc, they screwed up the shock rate. To correct the sag for solo riding I had to set the preload with 3/4 of the adjustment. Two up with fully cranked preload and I get 3 1/2" sag which is almost the full shock stroke travel.

Then the front springs... I took it to a reputable suspension tuner in the Bay Area, who's done three FJR's previously, he compress the springs by hand and states the spring rate feels the same as the stock spring. When they were meassured out they are indeed very very close. The Wilbers are two inches longer which is their way of adding preload instead of creating a stiffer spring. Anyway he wouldn't install them and put his tuning rep on the line, they would be fine on a race prepped 250, not a 650lb bike he stated.

Not tring to start any shit here but an opinion was asked and that's what the boards all about.. real life answers.

Apexmolester comes from a sportbike background and I think he's correct about the Wilbers shock, it's based on European touring styles, not US sportbike flogging style. For most guys it's their first aftermarket shock and a lot are happy with it, some guys with more experience are not.

I do know quite a few have returned the shock for rework, and I think it is a well machined piece of equipment, they just need to update their database with correct spring rates, and come out with a set of stiffer front spings.

Flame on if ya must. :p

For most guys it's their firstnced aftermarket shock and a lot are happy with it, some guys with more experience are not.
And just to make sure you don't paint a picture with too broad a brush, a lot of other extremely experienced riders are happy with their Wilbers.

I talked to Klaus about this spring issue, and he said out of the 100+ shocks he did the last Group Buy, there were indeed a handful that had too soft a spring. Those that contacted Klaus eventually got it straightened out. Sound like you were unfortunately one of them.

For most guys it's their firstnced aftermarket shock and a lot are happy with it, some guys with more experience are not.
And just to make sure you don't paint a picture with too broad a brush, a lot of other extremely experienced riders are happy with their Wilbers.
agreed :)

Information for anyone who is interested in getting in on a new Wilbers shock.

I weigh in at around 180lbs, so the initial spring size supplied from Wilbers rated at 9.5kg, for me, was simply way too soft. It left the back end of the bike severely squating under heavy acceleration and sag numbers were off the charts. Forget adding a passenger, it just bottomed out. I do not recommend this spring rate for the FJR, it felt softer than the oem I removed.

I switched out to an 11.0kg spring which skips the 10.0kg and 10.5kg Wilbers offers and now it feels just right with me on the bike, firm yet very compliant over harsh ground. This leaves all of the remote preload available for passenger, fuel cell, luggage etc, which IMHO is what you are supposed to shoot for. This setup has now also eliminated the rear end wobble that I would sometimes feel at speed with the yammi top box installed.

Both the 9.5kg and the 11.0kg spring rates came in under spec (9.1kg and 10.7kg)when tested by my local suspension guru, which is not unusual BTW, just good info to know. Based on the test results, the difference between the 2 springs offers an additional carrying capacity of 90lbs when an equal amount of preload is applied to both.

This is what I believe highlander is refering to above, so please keep this info in mind when you place your order with Klaus.

Well I haven't wanted to post up this before to avoid raining on anyone's group buy parade... but hey flame on if you must..Flame on if ya must. :p
Hey,

I can flame with the best of them but not this time. I wanted to know if there WERE any of us with an issue with the shock, who think it's a POS. You said "yes" to the first, "no" to the second and that they sorted it out for you.

No flaming from me for an honest, fact-filled answer.

No problems with mine-my wife doesn't like it, claims it isn't as "comfortable" as the stock-but to satisfy her I'd have to set it so soft the bike wallows-I'm completely happy with the Wilbers!

<...> the Wilbers shock, it's based on European touring styles, not US sportbike flogging style. <...>
Being European, define both styles please. :) (Not yanking your chain here, serious q)

<...> the Wilbers shock, it's based on European touring styles, not US sportbike flogging style. <...>
Being European, define both styles please. :) (Not yanking your chain here, serious q)
Part of my reasoning came from Klaus himself, when I called a few months ago to discuss the soft front spring rate he replied " that's because Americans set up their bikes too stiff ". He went on about how they were designed in Europe and there were no complaints from Euro riders.

There are many places in the western US where you can run very high speed for hours, sometime through or along mountain ranges. which really requires stiiffer spring rates. Running at three digits for extended periods requires stiiffer springs, if they are not then the shock / springs build up to much heat, causing bad handling . Also US body size is bigger , along with the gear most seem to carry on the bike.

In Europe the speed limits seem to be restricted a lot , except the Autoban , but I understand thats been reduced and it's no longer wide open as it used to be. The Alps and the ranges through France / Spain / Greece etc have tighter, narrower roads than the western US. From what I've seen the road surfaces don't seem to be as smooth as the western US. I don't think you could run elevated speeds for three hours.

I think Wilbers has designed softer rated to accomodate the Euro roads. Whatever data base they use to build the shocks needs to be updated in my opinion. Just my 2 cents, which is not worth much in Europe right now ! :D

Don't run at high speeds in Europe? The land of the Ferrari, Porsche and Citroen?

They may be lowering speeds in some places (like Britain, with speed cameras :angry: ), but I think it's an absurd stereotype to think only the Autobannen have the high, sustained speeds. Most states in the Union will issue a "Go Directly To Jail, Do No Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200" card to running triple digits, especially for 3 hours.

Yet, as long ago as 1976, I hitched a ride from Amiens to Lille (Northern France) on my way back to Bruges with two guys in a Peugeot. The speedo stayed consistently at 160-165kmh (100+mph). It was smooth, comfortable and undisturbed by "le Police". Even then, there was no way this could be pulled off in the US.

If you like stiffer springs, get stiffer springs. I'm sure CSW, Traxxion or one of the other suspension guys could get you what you want. Still, if you feel this is a problem with Wilbers, it's best to air it so those who are thinking of getting them can make an informed choice. I have the springs and so far, am not sure, but think they are doing well. Seem a little hard, but then Ivan put in 10 weight fork oil.