Anyone put a "Goldwing Vent" in their Windshield?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommybarrettjr

Reaction score
I'm interested in the FJR, and have read many good comments about some of the larger after-market windshields. But I've also noticed a few comments about how the larger windshields could be a little warm, particularly in the warmer areas like where I live. So, as a person who once owned a 2007 Goldwing with the vent in the winshield, has anybody tried putting a vent in their windshield. The vents can be purchased from Honda and its a relatively minor job to cut the hole and install the vent. The vents were great in warm weather, can be opened or closed anywhere from full closed to full open, and most Goldwing owners found you could leave the vents open one click even when it was cool and the air would be direct up, not at you, and caused a noticeable drop in turbulent air behind the windshield. Anyone tried this on the FJR. Any thoughts or comments?

I wish I could say yes but I do want to thank you for putting the idea in my head!

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FJR1300prod.html

FJR06ws4.jpg

FJRws1.jpg

Tommy,

I'm not aware of anyone installing the Goldwing vent in their FJR windshield, but it may be an idea worth trying. I owned a 1996 Honda PC800, also known as the Pacific Coast. It was intended to be a commuter bike with trunk space for a helmet and briefcase. One of the windshield manufacturers (CeeBailey?) had a version of their screen that they installed the GW vent for the PC800, and it worked very well. One of the differences with the FJR, is that the PC800 windshield was not adjustable.

If you give it a try, keep us posted.

Bob

Yep, it's been done, see here .........

Goldwing vent
Thanks HIGHLANDER - Yep, that was me.

You DO feel some airflow through it, but it's questionable whether it makes a big enough difference to justify the cost/work. I'm tempted to try it without the vent assembly installed in the hole to see if the airflow increases significantly.

I just couldn't sleep until I tried it, though, and I still think it looks cool on my summer shield and gives me one more farkle to play with while riding. :rolleyes:

4683485777_b7464c4487_b.jpg

4684114162_8334fc0f31_b.jpg

4683486013_636c3d5317_b.jpg

4683486151_b9c3ddfe39_b.jpg

I installed the Gold Wing vent in my windshield to reduce the back pressure my wife felt during freeway or high speed riding. It really helped reduce the pressure on her back, but it does very little to cool the rider.

I installed the Gold Wing vent in my windshield to reduce the back pressure my wife felt during freeway or high speed riding. It really helped reduce the pressure on her back, but it does very little to cool the rider.
Hmmm, I was looking at the other thread on this (Highlander's link) and was almost sold on mounting one of these on my winter shield for when it warms up too early in the year to go back to the hot weather shield. So you're saying you don't feel a cooling breeze from this? What shield do you have it mounted on? Thanks.