Anyone tried this H4 LED bulb yet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just installed 4 emitter bulbs from LED Rider on my Gen 2 . Light pattern and color temperature works for me. Saw complaints on various forums about

2 and 3 emitter bulbs. To do the install correctly I removed the headlight assembly. There was not enough room for my fingers to get the bent paper clip

to latch correctly. Hope this helps.

Walt Wunderlich

Sebastian, Fl

I have them on my Triumph and they do produce a lot of light, but how much it will throw down range depends on how well your reflector can focus all that light.

Mine do fairly well but I'm still not sure if it's huge improvement, more testing required. What I do like is the wide short range pattern and that too may be related to my reflectors.

All in all I'm happy plus they're claimed life span is 30,000 hours so I shouldn't need to replace bulbs for quite some time.
smile.png

I looked at one of these bulbs in person the other day. Looks impressive but light out is the most important. There are ALOT of LED H4 bulbs on the market. Some of them have been tried with not good results. I was wondering if anyone has tried this bulb with good results.
https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html
The LED emitters on these Cyclops units only appear to face (and therefore broadcast light) sideways. There appears to be four larger LED emitters positioned further away from the reflector and 4 smaller ones positioned closer to the reflector. One would assume that the larger LEDs are for the higher intensity beam, but that is the opposite to how an H4 halogen lamp is constructed, where the Low Beam filament is the one furthest from the reflector. Maybe the smaller LEDs are the brighter ones?

Also, I do not see any means to produce a sharp vertical cut-off for low beam operation on these, and they do not show any beam cast patterns.

There are some beam cast photos of the Cyclops H4 bulbs in an XR650L headlamp bucket in the ADV thread Gramps linked us to

Low beam

DSC_3317_zpsodywnejd.jpg

High Beam

DSC_3318_zpsrfljxbdw.jpg

Note that there are two staggered hot spots in both beam casts, not sure what is causing that but the fact that the left one is higher is exactly opposite to what you would want if intending on using these on-road in the right hand drive world. I would rate those beam casts as brighter, but poor patterns due to the vertical compression of the patterns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are right Fred. Cutoff or lack there of can be a problem. And it is important to note, that you may need to adjust the aim of your headlight(s).

I have their 3600lm bulbs and the pattern is not good (lots of scatter and high beam pattern is the same as low beam just 50% brighter). Supposedly the 3800's are better but I am taking a wait and see stance right now. I managed to get them installed without removing the headlight assy but there was much swearing involved.

The idea of retrofitting LED or HID for that matter, can result in what seems like "better" lighting.

What I have noticed with the aftermarket HIDs on cars is that the cut off pattern is poor or non existant and I expect the same problem with LEDs as well.

The bulb, reflector and lense must be designed as one system for best results. It's very difficult to get correct optical results with a retrofit light source.

I have even seen differences in cheap H4 vs quality H4 replacement bulbs in the same fixture.

There is a very good safety reason the cut off and beam angle are designed the way they are. We change this with poorly designed "improvements" and as a result, affect safety on the roads.

It might look better (or "cooler" ) to the driver but to the drivers of oncoming traffic are getting blasted!

When your expensive HID replacement lights are illuminating overpass bridges, on low beam, you might think something is not right.
rolleyes.gif

Now I'm sure someone will post that they have the perfect aftermarket setup, and maybe they do, but that is the exception.

I see loads of shitty HID retrofits every night on the higways I travel.