Anyone try the...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SR-71

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the National Cycle VStream replacement windshield on their GenII FJR? Does it work? Downsides?

SR-71

I was initially concerned with the huge look of the VStream when I installed mine, but I've grown to like it. The curves of the shield seem to flow with the looks of the bike so that it really looks like it belongs there (even if it is huge).

The significant reduction of wind noise and buffeting (sometimes down to zero, depending on wind conditions and surrounding traffic conditions) at highway speeds is great. I sometimes wonder if a different shield could do better, but then I just remind myself that I am on a motorcycle going 70-80mph, afterall. At less-than-highway speeds I can always find a windshield position with zero buffeting and nearly zero wind noise. I'm 6 feet tall, btw.

As with any larger replacement shield, you will have reduced airflow when the shield is in the lowest position to cool you off in hotter weather. I have only noticed this once so far in a temperature of 95 degrees with high humidity. Lowering the shield and standing up on my pegs for a few seconds provided a nice cool-down.

It's awesome on my Gen1. I have taken it off for the summer, it's too hot, blocks too much air. Great for winter though.
I've been looking at the v-stream since I switched gen bikes and was wondering how it would work. Being in Tx, I was going to wait till winter to get the new shield.

I like my V-Stream for colder weather and prefer my Cee Baileys for everyday use. I have a CalSci on the way in my never ending quest for "The Sheild".

Personally, I'm shocked & surprised the "clicky" troll hasn't told you to do a search already!!!!!!! :blink:

I've been looking hard at this one also, but am concerned about blocking too much and overheating in the central valley summer heat. The CalSci has vents that allow more airflow, so that's in the mix for me to decide, too.....

Good info from all, thanks for starting this thread..

Personally, I'm shocked & surprised the "clicky" troll hasn't told you to do a search already!!!!!!! :blink:
I've been looking hard at this one also, but am concerned about blocking too much and overheating in the central valley summer heat. The CalSci has vents that allow more airflow, so that's in the mix for me to decide, too.....

Good info from all, thanks for starting this thread..
"clicky" troll????

Perhaps some of us are trying to instruct new member WHERE and HOW to search for the information they need or want rather than just our own opinions. Perhaps you think we should do the research and then write a rather lengthy discourse on the pros and cons? Maybe YOU should do the research and write the "Reader's Digest Condensed Version" for everyone else.

Try these links from our friends at Google (the alternative way to search the FJR Forum):

V-stream site:fjrforum.com

Vstream windshield site:fjrforum.com

I also have the vstream,and spacers. I like it. I did put the stock shield back on at the beginning of the season, but i already changed it back. i may try a givi. :D

Dean

Works well for me, I'm 5'6" and with it full up the top is about 3" above eye level sending air over my helmet. I feel like I'm in a fairly good air pocket, some variation with the environment. Not as good as the BMW R1200RT I test drove but good. I'd send you a picture but don't know how to attach it, I'm new.