Anyone use one of these?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, but just how lazy does someone need to be to get that? If I had a power failure while riding, I'd be stuck with it on my head because I can't get my glasses off.

Sorry I can't give you a review.

It's a non-DOT rated snowmobile shield. If fogging is an issue for you, get a Pin-Lock visor instead of this. They work exceptionally well and you don't have to plug it in.

It's a non-DOT rated snowmobile shield. If fogging is an issue for you, get a Pin-Lock visor instead of this. They work exceptionally well and you don't have to plug it in.
Aren't the CL-14 and CL-15 helmets DOT? And it says later:

"This accessory fits all current model years for:

- all bikes"

Not a lot of detail. Never thought it might be for raising and lowering the shield. Like OCfjr I thought it was designed to keep fogging down. I wear glasses so anything that helps is great... nice cool factor IMHO. If it works.

I've no experience with pn locks, but I've heard some say they are a PIA. Now I just crack the shield a bit, breathe down and wipe as needed. Anti-fog cloth works OK in conjunction as well.

But that is a separate issue. Wondering if anybody has real-world experience, just curious.

They are usually used in snow mobile applications as stated already. I can fog any shield including my scorpion so I just crack the visor. Gets kinda cold sometimes but it doesn't fog.

I did talk with the scorpion warranty department and they told me not use anything on the inside of the shield to clean it, just a microfiber cloth.

I did get a Respro Foggy and that worked really well in my shoei helmet. I could not fog the helmet with the Foggy in place. It does not fit my scorpion because I have the exo-100 and the button to pump up the cheek pads is right were the foggy velcros in. It fits over your nose and mouth and only allows the air to go down. I ride with the chin curtain out all the time. The Foggy is great in winter and in summer to keep hot breath out of the helmet.

Respro Foggy

Last edited by a moderator:
They are usually used in snow mobile applications as stated already. I can fog any shield including my scorpion so I just crack the visor. Gets kinda cold sometimes but it doesn't fog.
I did talk with the scorpion warranty department and they told me not use anything on the inside of the shield to clean it, just a microfiber cloth.
OK, guess you and OC gave me the answer. Thanks.

Aren't the CL-14 and CL-15 helmets DOT? And it says later:
Yes, the helmets are, but not this visor or any heated visor made for snowmobiling. I looked at these a few years back.

Not a lot of detail. Never thought it might be for raising and lowering the shield. Like OCfjr I thought it was designed to keep fogging down. I wear glasses so anything that helps is great... nice cool factor IMHO. If it works.
It's kind of annoying, looking through the lines of the heated shield. Maybe you get used to it, I only tried one on in the showroom.

I've no experience with pn locks, but I've heard some say they are a PIA. Now I just crack the shield a bit, breathe down and wipe as needed. Anti-fog cloth works OK in conjunction as well.
But that is a separate issue. Wondering if anybody has real-world experience, just curious.
I have a Pin-Lock on my Multi-tech Shoie. Been using it for a couple of years now. Most of the people that say it's a pita are trying to use one shield, removing the insert when not needed. It's not really intended to be used that way, and the insert has a very soft side to it that's easily scratched. Not a real problem in real life if you swap shields instead of removing the insert when not needed.

Unlike Fog City, the Pin-Lock is very clear and not hazy when in use. You don't need to crack the visor while riding and that helps a lot for glasses wearers. The inside stays warm. You can get away with leaving the shield closed at brief stops too, but I generally crack it for longer stops or stop & go on city streets.

+++ on the pin lock - I use it, it works, and IMO is all that is needed. I say this based on daily riding experience. Cheap easy, why fight it? Give in... go pin lock...

If you can fog a pin-lock equipped helmet, you're probably having sex in a sauna... ;)

+1 on the pinlock!

As posted, beware how you store the insert when not on your shield because the side that goes against the shield is very soft. Wrapping it in a microfiber towel still won't protect it if there is any kind of weight able to shift on it - the friction of the microfiber towel will still scratch it (don't ask me how I know).

Another +1 on the pinlock. As far as I'm concerned, it's not removable, because you damage it when you do. That's not a problem because I wear mine year-round, because you can fog a visor at night in summer in Florida, it's so humid. I've never had reflection problems, or haze, or any other issues.

I love the pinlock. Works AMAZING. You can see the fog all AROUND the pinlock shield, but otherwise it is crystal clear.

I use a clear pinlock and have a tint strip on the top of my visor. Head a little lowered for dusk and dawn, and it works great the rest of the time.

Alexi