Anyone use this type of GPS brake hole mount?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaJudge

Reaction score
I have never owned an auto or motorcycle GPS before, so please forgive my noobishness.

After reading lots of threads (mostly here), reviews, articles, etc., I'm about ready to buy a Garmin Nuvi 750 for the Feejer. I want something that you can input/store your own routes and the 750 will do what I need for $169.

This is the mount I'm looking at - Mount

Any thoughts, opinions, recommendations re: this mount or others like it?

The mounts a standard RAM mount. They tend to move a bit with heavier GPS's. You might want to consider a waterproof GPS that's glove friendly (I don't know if that's a feature on the Nuvi or not)

I'm still not sure of the routing (on the computer), but the Nuvi 500/550 (one has topo maps, one street) will do custom routes on the GPS. The computer routing I've not used enough to know about, but it will accept 10 custom routes and iirc 500 waypoints. The 500/550 are ipx7 waterproof as well.

The mounts a standard RAM mount. They tend to move a bit with heavier GPS's. You might want to consider a waterproof GPS that's glove friendly (I don't know if that's a feature on the Nuvi or not)

Hmm. A waterproof unit that's glove-friendly and allows me to program in and store my own routes (i.e., a Zumo) will run about 4 times the cost of this Nuvi. I don't want/need a GPS that badly at this point. Since I don't ride in the rain much (and I can cover/remove/store it if needed) nad, the 750 is what I've decided to get.

I really just want to know about the usefulness/benefits/drawbacks of this mount.

I'm still not sure of the routing (on the computer), but the Nuvi 500/550 (one has topo maps, one street) will do custom routes on the GPS. The computer routing I've not used enough to know about, but it will accept 10 custom routes and iirc 500 waypoints. The 500/550 are ipx7 waterproof as well.
Thanks. I'll be sure to check out the capabilities of the 500/550. I've read in several places that, with the Nuvi series, you have to go to the 7xx or higher to prep and store custom routes, so I figured that was what I needed.

The lower 2/3rds of that mount is exactly what comes in the box with the Zumo660. The top piece looks study enough, but can't say for sure.

I use a Nuvi 750 with the RAM cradle and a short arm, but not the handle base shown on your link. I use a steering stem ball nut, available from a vendor whose name shall not be mentioned according to forum rules. PM me if you need additional info.

The 750 is a good bang for the buck. Multiple routes and a stereo MP3 player. A small zip-lock bag fits over it and has kept mine dry for 15,000 miles so far. If it gets wet I can replace it two times and still spend less than the cost of a Zumo.

The stem mount puts it between the handlebars, so if you use a tank bag you may want a longer arm.

I really just want to know about the usefulness/benefits/drawbacks of this mount.
The RAM Handlebar mount for the Nuvi is the bomb! Mine works just great with the Garmin 260 W that I use! Recently rode nearly 4,000 miles with the Nuvi and it never let me down. Not much vibration and it was perfectly touch screen accessible with a riding glove on. Bought it at COSTCO.