Anything i should look for on a usde FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit

Reaction score
Considering buying a used FJR for my next bike. Looking between 2003 adn 2007. They sem to be falling imn my price range. Heard about Ticking? Any specific years that did tick? What is the couse of the tick? Any other issues thet certain years had that I need to look for? i usually ride about 30-40K miles a year. So i need to buy a good one. Thanks for any input.

You are obviously looking for the shortcut solution here, not searching and all...

But since it is NOT Friday, and I really can't blame you for not wanting to plow through all this useless fodder...

In the year-model range you specify, I would actively seek out a 2006. That year probably has the least number of comfort and control related issues of Gen-II models (2006-2008). 2006 issues tend to be faulty ignition switch or something similar.

2007 models have more intense issues of abrupt throttle response, although it's been my experience that the 2007s have better suspension quality control than 2006s.

So it's all relative. Every year model has it's issues. All can be corrected without major expense.

IMO, depreciation and the benefits of the Gen-II design changes, make the 2006 "the used FJR to have" at this time.

Just my $.02

Search for more info, or just hang around until Friday.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, "The Tick" is covered in the FAQ section...HERE....you'll want to read both Gen I and Gen II. That will have you better prepared to select whatever model you eventually buy.

If I were going to buy an FJR, I'd look real hard at a Gen II model ('06 and newer). That being said, I love my '05 (Gen I). Since Yamaha has been repairing "ticking bikes" under warranty, that wouldn't stop me from buying a Gen I if that's what my budget allowed.

Stuff you probably already know but if you don't:

Basically tickers are confined to Gen I (through 05).

Gen II are generally geared a tiny bit taller. My Gen I speedo was on the button, my Gen II is about 4 mph optimistic.

Gen II feels a bit more refined to my senses, Gen I a bit more untamed overall.

There are brake differences among the various models/years; ABS, or not; Linked, or not.

Gen II (07) get a ECU change due to altitude issues. Gen I generally put out much more heat on the rider.

My 05 seemed to want to Wheelie a bit easier than the 07 (gearing differences & a longer swing arm on the 07).

The seat on my 07 feels a bit harder than the one on my 05 did.

I got roughly the same MPG on both. Gen II has a mpg computer & outdoor thermometer, The Gen I can be changed from mph to kph the Gen II cannot. I'm sure others may have different views but that sums up most of my observations.

Best of luck on your search. Ron

PS The best overall M/C I've owned.

I am looking really hard at the gen 1 becasue my budget is about $8k. I want to pay cash, Havent seen any 2006 bikes near me in that range. Found a 2005 with 4700 mileson it for $8k and the guy will meet me half way (about 1.5 hours away) I know the heat wasnt fixed till 2006, but i used to ride a 2002 conie so I am pretty sure i can deal with it. Anything I should be concerned about with this bike?

I know the heat wasnt fixed till 2006, but i used to ride a 2002 conie so I am pretty sure i can deal with it. Anything I should be concerned about with this bike?
Yes, you already said it, heat.

Some call BS on the heat issue. I say bring your 05 and come ride with me for a day, then see if it's BS. I loved my 05, LOVED IT! But the heat was enough of an issue to cause me to trade it for an 07 before I faced another summer on the 05.

Your personal physical geometry and region/climate of residence has A LOT to do with whether or not 05 heat is an issue for you. Just understand, that with each year model, Yamaha leaned the bike more and more, and the 2005 was the most lean year prior to the heat mods.

Of course, my 05 ran like a scalded ape! It has taken me a full year to get the 07 to where the 05 was in terms of comfort, smoothness and performance. But I would not trade any one of those 36,000 miles away!

:)

The heat issue is relative.

I have an '05 w/ABS and am VERY pleased with her. There is a heat kit you can purchase that supposedly reduces heat to the rider...

I would consider ABS for two reasons.

1) Safety. Most experienced riders will never need it, but it's there if by chance it is neeeded

2) Resale. It seems the majority of buyers would prefer to own ABS and are willing to pay the $1k more to have it.

Honestly, the $8,000 price range cues me in on it being a nonABS bike. Now the question is:

~How many miles does she have?

~What condition is she in?

~What farkles are included?

~Maintanence records???

You can get a good idea of market value through KBB or NADA

Ticking is an issue with only about 30% of the Gen I bikes and as stated, Yamaha seems to be covering the repair with a slight twist of the proverbial arm. Nevertheless, I would listen carefully for ticking when buying a Gen. I bike.

Hope this helps

Sport

Search away, as plenty of people have asked the exact same questions pretty much weekly. If your Connie was as hot as the neighbor's that I rode, no FJR will bother you. But here's the bottom line:

They're all great, test ride what you can afford, apply common sense to your pre-buy inspection, and if you like it, welcome to the crowd!

Bob

2004 non-ABS

Take your time and search around for a while.

If you go with a GENI, there are also some heat mods that can be done. I have done the cromeit heat mod, and it certainly helped. There is also a tank blanket that can be had on ebay, if you can still find one. If not I think Smitty makes them. If the Connie is anything like my blackbird, you'll be very pleased with the amount of heat on a GENI FJR in comparison. My BB is a cooker!

One thing I really liked about the GENI, is that is has a slightly shorter wheelbase and slightly more peg clearance. In order to make use of this, you will however, have to install aftermarket suspension. But once you do, you'll be amazed at what these bikes are capable of.

You may be able to find one that already has suspension upgrades. That is priority 1 for me. But if you plan on doing a lot of touring, and not so much sport riding, then look for something with comfort mods, such as a russel seat, or heli risers, and an aftermarket windshield.

Either way you can't go wrong, but if you can afford it, you might just want to go with a GENII, especially if you like to ride in the summer. I'd also say ABS is a must, if you use it once, it's totally worth the extra $$.

I just bought an 06 May 1st. If you are buying it from a dealer ask for a copy of the service history when you pick up the bike. That will answer some questions you may have later. Questions I had after I bought mine were, was my ECU upgraded? My bike fell within serial numbers listed, that may have the altitude sickness problem. Service records I finally got from the dealer said Yes. It also showed the instrument cluster had been changed under warranty, which I already new about. Mine had the abrupt throttle. That was easily solved with the "Throttle Tamer" from G2 Ergo. I also found out that the reinforcing plate had been installed under the mount for the trunk.

I love the bike. :clapping:

While I haven't had my bike very long I took care of most of the heat issue for less than $10. I went to Menards (lowes/Home depot) and bought two packs of window air conditioner foam weather stripping, 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" x 48", and a roll of 1" double sided foam tape. I cleaned the backs of the fairings and stuck a continuous length of the foam just behind the side vents to block the air from coming through to me. It made quite an improvement so far. I'm sure it's been done on here many times before.

Other than that I just looked over the bike and test drove it same as if I was buying a used car. So far my 04' has 15k miles and runs great (only about 1k of that is mine).

+1 on asking for the service record also.

Much may depend on where you live. If you live in the southern states I'd highly recommend taking the Gen-1 on a long test ride, and be sure to pick a day when it's going to be in the 90's. Some Gen-I's are hotter than others. On hot days, mine was a blast furnace. Performing the heat mods helped a bit, but not much, I still cooked. The heat mod's basically block the heat of escaping from certain areas near the rider. I wasn't real comfortable with the fact the mods eliminated or at least reduced air flow around certain engine areas. On the plus side, my Gen-1 was great during the cooler months! :D