Arai Corsair V after 2000 miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctfjr

Reaction score
OK I admit it - I am generally biased toward Arai lids. My previous helmet was the Quantum 1. It served me well for many years until its untimely demise a couple of months ago - I was rear ended, landed on my head but the fiberglass shell took a pretty severe whack. Athough outwardly, except for some really ground in dirt from the impact, it looked ok there was no way that was going back on my (now scrambled) head.

After searching for a replacement I ended up back at Arai's website. They show the different shape profiles for their various helmets and the Corsair V looked like the winner. Although I would have liked to buy it locally, no local mc dealers stocked them (and weren't too excited about ordering one for less than List price (~$900). Through the years I have purchased from www.helmetshop.com (no, I have no connection to them) and their prices were absolutely the lowest I could find on the web. After their discounts (and putting it in the cart) the price is ~$650, free shipping.

Their exchange policy makes me want to never go into a local dealer again for a helmet:

"You can exchange your order for a different color, size, or brand by calling our exchange department during store hours at 386-257-6434. No Exchange Fees. You only need to pay the shipping costs." It really was a no brainer. Two days later the brown truck dropped it off :)

First impressions: It was snug (XXL - what can I say, I have a big melon). The cheek pads were the issue. Arai does offer an assortment of replacement pads of different sizes. I decided to wear it a while to see if I/the pads adjusted to one another. They did. After several hours riding it feels perfect.

This Link will take you to the Arai site for all the features / specs on the Corsair V.

After riding with it for ~2000 miles here are my impressions.

It seems light although some would question that statement for a 3.85 lb helmet. It just seems light to wear.

There is some wind noise. I ride with the windscreen down in the summer and at speed earplugs are a must. I would wear earplugs on any ride of more than an hour anyway. With the windscreen partially up it is super quiet.

Ventilation - this is a hands down winner. Absolutely great venting options. Can't say enough good things here. I have ridden for hours in 90+ high humidity days and never had that "I can't wait to get this damn helmet off".

Wind buffeting - I don't know how they did it but with the windscreen down and at highway + speeds this Corsair is unbelieveable. There is no wind buffeting at all. Never had a helmet like this.

It could be in the several years since I last bought a helmet there have been great strides in manufacturing them. Whether that's true or not I don't know but this is the best helmet I ever wore.

ymmv

forgot pix:

Arai%20Corsair%20V%20Colin%20Edwards%20Replica.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome lid!

With excellent ventilation that the RX7-RR5 has, as well as it's predecessor RX7-RR4, comes wind noise. All to be expected from a front line racing helmet.

I went the opposite direction as you recently having ran with the Corsair RR4 for a couple years, I just went to the Quantum II and recently bought 3 of them! :lol: We're both lucky that our heads work in both shapes because technically, they are different. The Quantum II has been discontinued recently so I jumped in feet first and now have an inventory. The Corsair I have indeed promotes a bit more wind noise as well as ventilation.

You won't regret your purchase....especially if you really need it again, God Forbid!

My lineup.... :lol:

IMG_1380.jpg

That's why there're Chevies and Fords, chocolate vs vanilla, and other choices. I've got a Corsair V that I can't stand. It looks like a darker version of the right helmet in Tree Doc's photo.

To me it's noisy, the shields are overpriced, the obsolete sideplate design is too delicate/fragile, and plastic on top is too brittle when cold.