Arai RX-Q

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacinRay

Living The Dream
Reaction score
I recently replaced my six year old Aria Quantum II with the new Arai RX-Q, size large with Oriental graphics. My evaluation is based on one week of riding and this is my third Arai helmet so temper my remarks with that knowledge.

Pros:

Typical Arai fit and finish

Great peripheral vision

Removable liner

Excellent venting

Arai’s easy to remove face shield

Cons:

Premium price

Cheek pads cost how much?!!!

Arai’s impossible to remove face shield

Graphics:

The graphics on this helmet are unbelievable. The design includes a dragon, koi fish, volcano, ocean waves, cherry blossoms and mountains. The colors and quality are top notch BUT some guys may be put off by the pink flowers in the design. I suggest you take a look at this design in person as the pictures on Arai’s website don’t do it justice (or just buy a color/design to you liking).

Fit/Comfort:

While it seems there is some conflicting information on whether the RX-Q is a direct replacement for the Quantum II, I believe the RX-Q fit is very similar. I wore the RX-Q helmet on a 5 hour ride on Saturday with absolutely no issues. (My old Quantum II was also size large.)

The major difference with the RX-Q is the shape of the cheek pads. The RX-Q’s are more rectangular and seem to spread the pressure over a larger area of your cheeks. Also, while I had to replace the pads in my Quantum with a smaller size, the RX-Q’s pads have a 5mm layer of foam under the liner, which can be peeled off to make minor adjustments. Removing this thin layer made my helmet fit perfectly. However, if you need to go smaller (or larger) you’ll need to spend close to $50 for a new pair.

Finally, unlike the Quantum, the RX-Q liner is completely removable so you can wash it. The liner material feels very soft to the touch similar to the old Quantum.

Venting:

Venting is similar to the Quantum with a chin vent, two brow vents on the shield and two top vents. There are also five exhaust vents on the helmet. Two on the top back, two on the sides and one below the neck roll on the back. I’ve been riding in temperatures as high as 90 degrees with no complaints. It just feels like the RX-Q flows a little more air than my old helmet.

Weight:

My size large helmet weighed in (on the company postage meter) at 3 lbs. 8 oz. and feels incredibly light. My Quantum II was a little over 2 ounces heavier.

Shield/View:

The RX-Q offers a very wide field of vision compared to other helmets I’ve worn and putting the Quantum and RX-Q face shields side by side confirms the wider opening on the RX-Q.

Sound:

Let me state upfront I normally wear ear plugs so sound is not much of an issue, but for this review I did back to back passes with the Quantum and RX-Q at 30 mph and 55mph and the RX-Q was significantly quieter at all speeds. My only comment here is that my new helmet fits a little more snug than my six year old helmet so that may account for the difference in noise levels.

Summary:

I’m very happy with the RX-Q so far; I just wish my old Quantum face shields fit! As far as shield replacement goes, I’ve always thought the Arai system was very easy to use. I’ve swapped from smoke to clear or vice versa many times from a tank bag while sitting at a traffic light! Others have found the system difficult to use.

I’ll try to post some pictures of the Oriental graphics here tomorrow, but as I said the pics don’t do the helmet justice.

Great to read your impression because I have been wondering how the fit would compare to the Quantum II. It is a bummer that after all these years, they changed the visors but it was bound to happen someday. If cheek pads and liners need to be exchanged, ebaY can be an excellent source for new, unpackaged take-offs from dealers. I have sourced several for both my Quantum II's and my Corsair, both old style, though. I have seen the new styles available, however.

One last thing...you mention the Quantum II liner as NOT removable. I've got 4 of them sitting here with the oldest dating back to 04/2006 and the liners and cheek pads have been removable and exchangeable with the Profile and Corsair since before that time. The old style Vector was the only Arai in that series without a removable liner for a lower price point. The new style Vector II has a removable liner now.

Great to read your impression because I have been wondering how the fit would compare to the Quantum II. It is a bummer that after all these years, they changed the visors but it was bound to happen someday. If cheek pads and liners need to be exchanged, ebaY can be an excellent source for new, unpackaged take-offs from dealers. I have sourced several for both my Quantum II's and my Corsair, both old style, though. I have seen the new styles available, however.

One last thing...you mention the Quantum II liner as NOT removable. I've got 4 of them sitting here with the oldest dating back to 04/2006 and the liners and cheek pads have been removable and exchangeable with the Profile and Corsair since before that time. The old style Vector was the only Arai in that series without a removable liner for a lower price point. The new style Vector II has a removable liner now.
My Quantum f and Quantum II both have removable cheek pads but the rest of liner is glued to the interior of the helmet. My quantum was manufactured in '04.

I replace a Quantum II with the new RX-Q and love it. Feels good and is quieter.

7X