Are wheel weights now made of gold?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzip

Reaction score
Took my wheels off the bike, and took them along with a extra set of Avons I bought from a dealer last October, to said dealer to have the new tires mounted.

This is the 4th set of tires he has done for me. One set was tires I had not bought from him, and he was fine with mounting them, and the last 2 sets he had to give me a $95 "discount" to come close to matching SWMOTO. I prefer to do my business locally, unless they want to get too deep into my pocket. He has also made some bucks off me for valve adjustments, head and swing arm bearing repacks, oil, filters, etc., so I am not a total freeloader.

So my eyes kind of bugged out when he said they had to use 3 weights to balance the tires, and they were $9.50 each-- total $28.50! He was serious, and I paid the bill. I wondered if he was trying to tell me to take my business somewhere else, but all said, this tire change cost me $5 more than the last one, because they charged less for labor. :unsure:

So Yamaha parts # 42705-MCF-D50 and D60 must have some gold mixed in that lead. If I croak at SFO, I'll have the wife not only pull all my gold fillings, but also grab the wheel balance weights off the FJR. They'll probably go up in value in a couple of years. :glare:

B)

Oooohhhhh....

Those custom, ultra-svelte tricked-out wheel weights that clip on the center casting of the wheel.

Whooo-boy, I think I'll remain faithful to my stick-on weights. And people ask WHY I mount my own tires? :rolleyes:

Gold prices have gone up recently...Just say'in. I recycle, haven't had to buy a new weight in five years.

--G

C'mon, folks, YGTBSM, paying those prices for nasty-looking OEM wheel weights that scratch up you rims!! :glare:
Here.... this here be The Shit that you want for your black wheels: https://www.perfectequipment.com/ad_100360b.php

And for youse guys with silver wheels: https://www.perfectequipment.com/ad_200624n.php
Gunny Dat.

And if you go to the custom car shop that sells accessories and mag wheels to kids for their rice-rods you can usually get a few ounces for a couple of bucks, but I've had the owner hand them to me for the asking.

Hey, at least your dealer balanced them and mounted them in the correct direction. My dealer wasn't able to do either job successfully!

Hey, at least your dealer balanced them and mounted them in the correct direction. My dealer wasn't able to do either job successfully!
I had blue tape with an arrow stuck on each rotor just so I didn't screw up, and I figured he sure wouldn't be able to miss them too.

B)

Oooohhhhh....
Those custom, ultra-svelte tricked-out wheel weights that clip on the center casting of the wheel.

Whooo-boy, I think I'll remain faithful to my stick-on weights. And people ask WHY I mount my own tires? :rolleyes:
:poster_stupid: I hear ya brotha! Got me thinkin! Can't remember when anyone else has changed my tires! Been a looonnnnggg time!

Last edited by a moderator: