At Last - A Helmet That Really Fits

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuttle1988

Reaction score
First of all, let me say that I've never been a fan of Arai helmets. Too expensive, PIA visor change and I didn't think I had an "Arai head".

Well, we had the Cycle World show in Phoenix this past weekend. Had to go and check out the new bikes and stuff. I have to figure out how to buy a MV Agusta Brutale, not to replace the FJR but to keep it company. Absolutely beautiful. Anyway back on topic.

I've been thinking of getting a new helmet. I currently wear a HJC Symax and it's OK, but not great. So I wanted to check out the Shoei Multitec because I really like the flip-up convenience. Tried it and all the other Shoei's on but none seemed to fit quite right. The Shoei factory rep was there but pretty much said that's the way they fit and didn't want to bother with me.

I wandered over to look at HJC and then to Arai. The Arai rep came over, measured my head and made some recommendations. I tried on the helmets and they felt pretty good. He suggested I go across the aisle and talk to people from an outfit called "The Service Pavilion". Apparently they travel to the shows and races and all they do is sell and service Arai helmets. The rep said they would custom fit one for me. Since I wasn't quite ready to fork out megabucks and Arai does not have a flip-up, I just walked over to see what they did.

I stood back and watched them fit some other customers. They really seemed to know what they were doing and they would perform the entire fitting process, make a record of the fit and keep it on file so they would have the info for when and if you wanted to buy. No pressure, so I thought why not have it done.

Well they tried three different shells and determined the Quantum 2 was best for me. Then they went through about a dozen different liner and cheek pad combinations until the fit was perfect. Even showed me how to change the shield (it's not that bad but still not as good as Shoei's). They probably spent 45 minutes to an hour with me.

I couldn't believe how comfortable the helmet was. I've probably had twenty helmets over the years, some OK, some terrible but never one that really fit properly. So out comes the credit card. Go figure, never planned to buy an Arai and really wanted another flip-up.

They had 15% off for AMA members. With the discount their price for the Quantum 2 was $433 including tax. But they don't charge for swapping out the different liners and cheek pads which would be about $70-$80 to buy separately. By way of comparison, parts411 has the Quantum 2 for $383 and you would have to buy the other stuff (even if you could figure out what to get).

Anyway, just wanted to let you know if you are in the market for a helmet and will be going to one of the shows, give it a try. They also have a website www.theservicepavilion.com, but the key is to have them fit you personally.

Normal disclaimer - not connected to them in any way. Just wanted to pass on that rare experience with good customer service.

I had a "eureka" moment when I first tried on my Arai Astral-X. It was the first helmet I'd ever put on that didn't put any pressure on my forehead at all - it just "fit". I bought it on the spot.

A few months of riding with it and the honeymoon was over. The fit was still great, but Arai's shield change system flat out sucks, replacement shields are expensive due to the brow vents, and they fog up at the drop of a hat. The stupid little defog latch did nothing to keep the shield clear of fog, it just made it a pain to pop the shield open.

I will say that the paint and assembly quality was excellent, and the liner was great (although not fully removable on the Astral-X, which has been replaced by the Vector, I think, which still doesn't have a removable liner).

If someone would make a helmet to fit Arai's head shapes with a shield that's as fog-proof as Scorpion's and as easy to change as Shoei's, good venting, and a removable liner and cheekpads so I can customize the fit, I would be in heaven.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand all the grief Arai gets on the shield system. I can swap shields in less than 15 seconds.

Jazzzzz,

I somewhat agree. The shield remains the weak point, but when someone shows you how to do it properly, it is easier, but still is a PIA compared to others. I also don't understand why other manufacturers don't offer the multitude of liner sizes and options as well as different shell shapes. The Quantum 2 has fully interchangeable guts. For example, the Shoei rep pretty much said that's the way it is. With them you can try different cheek pads but nothing for the head liner. If they fit, great, if not you are SOL. At this point I'm willing to trade off some of the Arai shortcomings for comfort. Hope I don't regret it.

Randy,

I can't do 15 seconds, but since they showed me the right way to change the shield and with a little practice I'm less than a minute. I think it's the sound of all the snaps and pops that makes it a little scary. When I tried at the booth. I was sure I was breaking something. They just smiled and said not to worry. As I said, it's not that bad but I still believe the Shoei system is easier and less traumatic.

BTW I took a little ride today (2 hours) and the helmet was very comfortable and the ventilation was great. Also much less noise than the Symax. I always wear earplugs but I had to try it without just to see how it compared. No regrets so far.

Good info 1988. I finally found the helmet that fit me real well and that was the Arai Vector. Liner doesn't come out and it does fog up but all day comfort and the price was right. And the shields after a short while are real easy, on and off. PM. <>< :D

I had a "eureka" moment when I first tried on my Arai Astral-X. It was the first helmet I'd ever put on that didn't put any pressure on my forehead at all - it just "fit". I bought it on the spot.
A few months of riding with it and the honeymoon was over. The fit was still great, but Arai's shield change system flat out sucks, replacement shields are expensive due to the brow vents, and they fog up at the drop of a hat. The stupid little defog latch did nothing to keep the shield clear of fog, it just made it a pain to pop the shield open.

I will say that the paint and assembly quality was excellent, and the liner was great (although not fully removable on the Astral-X, which has been replaced by the Vector, I think, which still doesn't have a removable liner).

If someone would make a helmet to fit Arai's head shapes with a shield that's as fog-proof as Scorpion's and as easy to change as Shoei's, good venting, and a removable liner and cheekpads so I can customize the fit, I would be in heaven.
I experienced a similar eureka moment a couple years ago with the Astral and also bought it on the spot. Changing the shield can be exasperating, but overall it's a great helmet for me.

I concur with your findings shuttle1988! I started with a HJC Symax that I had for my V-Star before the FJR purchase. I didn't like it at all...heavy, hot.... When I purchased the FJR, I picked up a Shoei RF-1000 which I did like and used it for one riding season. I had tried on some Arai's when I got the Shoei, but I didn't want to pay the price for one. The Shoei just didn't fit quite right so this past spring I went back and was hoping the new Shoei Multi-Tech would work, but unfortunately, it didn't fit either. So, I ended up purchasing an Arai Profile and it is EXCELLENT!!! My wife wears the Shoei now so it wasn't a wasted purchase.

I do think the shield changeouts are easier on the Shoei, but it's not that quicker. I'm not in that big of a hurry I guess. The Arai was a little tricky at first but once you do it a few times, it's a piece of cake. The key is the angle at which you need the shield to remove and install it.

Enjoy your new purchase.

SIDE NOTE: I can't understand why Cycle World has their show in Arizona in October and the Chicago show is in February! It's so freaking cold and usually snow flying here in Illinois when they come that it's hard to get enthusiastic about bikes. I still go though so it's not bad enough to stop me.

You will be very happy with your Arai. I went from an HJC to an Arai Corsair RX7 and couldn't believe the difference. A bunch of us wear Arai's and convinced my buddy to go from his Shoei RF1000 to the RX7, he was amazed at the fit. As far as Service Pavillion goes, they are top notch. I never knew how to fit a helmet until I talked to these guys, found out the HJC I was wearing was too big. Bought the ARai from them and have had it back to them to make changes, etc. most of the time no charge.

Robert, the guy who runs Service Pavillion, orginally worked for Arai when they decided to go to the shows and events. Then they decided not to do that anymore, so he hit them up and asked them if he could do it independently. He's been doing it for about 6-7 years now.

They are a busy group because they go to all the Cycle World shows, plus the AMA events and MotoGP and I'm sure they will be out at Miller this year for WSBK.

Last edited by a moderator:
flyinlow,

Actually, Robert was the guy who worked with me. He does know his stuff. Originally I wanted the RX7 because of the ventilation (hot in AZ) but he convinced me that the shell shape was just wrong for my head. He tried a bunch of liner combinations, but just couldn't get it to work. As much as I liked the RX7, I'm glad I listened to him. I agree, they are top notch.

The Service Pavilion is top notch IMO also. Great to see them @ AMA & MotoGP events I've attended. They also stock parts & my son-in-law was able to get a set of side pods for an older Arai. Nice website too.

Well, we had the Cycle World show in Phoenix this past weekend. Had to go and check out the new bikes and stuff. I have to figure out how to buy a MV Agusta Brutale, not to replace the FJR but to keep it company. Absolutely beautiful. Anyway back on topic.
Anyway, back off-topic: I recently attended the Barber Vintage and, even tho there were beautiful bikes everywhere, there was one bike in the parking lot that just knocked-my-socks-off! Everytime I walked by it my knees got weak and I started to perspire. It had that, "I dare you to ride me" look...... MV Agusta Brutale!

Been thru dozens of lids. Arai is the only brand that I can wear for 24 hrs straight without pain. I love my C2 for the flip during my commute but my Arai gets the duty for the long haul.

Hi there,

Interesting post.

Glad you like the Arai.

Well, this June I had to replace my Shoei X-11 with another one (cage hit me). Thought a higher priced lid would be just fine. Man, this new X-11 has just been shipped back to Shoei for several problems.

1) Leaks when raining (visor locked and closed) from the top.

2) Vents near forehead, when closed, whistle like heck.

3) Visor will not seat well around seal (base plate adjusted by Shoei rep and me).

4) Chin strap showing sighns of wear after 4 months of use.

I like the Shoei, but last night I replaced my old (7 year old) Arai for a Quantum 2 Stellar red (nearly matches the Feejer) - :) )

For those of you looking at the X-11, please check the seal around the lid where the visor contacts the rubber surround. I checked at least 4 new X-11 helmets and not one of them sealed well enough (press pinkie on visor and you will see the rubber get "squashed".

The Shoei visor is much easier to change, but with the Arai the trick is to place the helmet away from you chest (helmet back to your chest), lift up visor to full open position, pull levers upwards until both "click", wiggle visor out.

Hope this helps.

Safe riding everyone.