ATGATT - Neck Restraint

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
Interesting... very interesting. Seems like a great idea and could prevent a few injuries. What ya'll think?

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/leatt-brace/

leatt-brace.jpg

Interesting.

During a few of my West/East rides where the winds whipped my helmet from south to north I had wondered if there was something out there that could minimize the strain...

I'm still thinking about a padded (cell) foam neckbrace... this contraption looks interesting :)

The neck restraint would be useful if it doesn't restrict movement, and this one seems to work well. There was a previous discussion where HANS-type devices came up, and those are too restrictive.

Kart racers wear something similar, a neck ring to support bottom of the helmet, keeping the head upright and keeping the helmet out of the upper bones. (My brother's helmet broke his collarbone in his track-day highside a number of years ago, but that was minor enough compared to other bits that it wasn't even addressed by the doctors.)

I think the airbag jacket is less than useless as presented in that article. Not enough material to provide any impact protection. An airbag provides impact protection by venting its gas, not by being a balloon. Maybe it could be a flotation device if you ride off a bridge or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been seeing alot of these at the MX races. My son received one for Xmas but has not used it yet. My younger nephews use them and have't complained about restriction. I never gave using it on the street much thought. When I get some time I'll try it on with my Nolan N102 and give you a report. Since we're expecting 3-6" of snow I can make vroom vroom sounds and imagine what it would be like to ride again, :yahoo:

I've been seeing alot of these at the MX races. My son received one for Xmas but has not used it yet. My younger nephews use them and have't complained about restriction. I never gave using it on the street much thought. When I get some time I'll try it on with my Nolan N102 and give you a report. Since we're expecting 3-6" of snow I can make vroom vroom sounds and imagine what it would be like to ride again, :yahoo:
Ok, I tried the brace with my helmet. It is the Moto GPX model. My helmet is a Nolan N102. The brace is lightweight and seemed comfortable. Movement was quite good. My bike is hibernating undercover at a different location so I couldn't sit on the bike. The biggest restriction is looking down, although I don't think that it would affect normal riding (viewing GPS and speedo) Looking side to side was slightly reduced, only by a few degrees. Lifting your head ( looking up), seemed unaffected. I would need to ride the bike to give a final verdict although I don't think that it would be too uncomfortable. I will breathe easier when my son is wearing it while racing MX. The older he gets, the bigger the jumps seem to be. :dribble: