ATTN: Anyone schooled in shocks/suspension HELP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVTNate

Reaction score
In a week or two I'm dropping off my FJR to my indy shop for what should be the final stage of maintenance/farkling for 2010. Part of that includes full RaceTech suspension. My question is regarding shocks.

RaceTech has three basic configurations - no reservoir, piggyback reservoir, and remote reservoir. Which one would you choose for mostly sweepers and occasional really twisty stuff? I want to get it right the first time, but don't want to go overkill.

My second question is regarding hydraulic preload. It's available on any of their shocks. What is it? Do I want/need it?

Yeah I didn't mention it because I've already got that sorted, but RaceTech gold valves and springs set up for my weight will absolutely be going on the bike.

Let em know if you ever intend to ride two up and or with luggage loaded. The adjustable preload is great if you ride alone sometimes and two up with full load other times. Just like the hi/low lever on your stock shock you dial up the preload when your riding fully loaded.

P.S. save the old stuff and put it back on when you go to sell, you end up making more, and so i can buy it from you when your done with it. :clapping: In most cases you do better selling the bike without all the farkles and selling them on the side.

I get my forks back from Racetech next week. Couldn't swiong the shock too. Can't wait to hit the BRP with em :yahoo:

I'd just like to post a follow-up to anyone searching for info on RaceTech shocks for our bikes.

I heard back from Josh at Race Tech today. The website was unclear, but apparently they offer exactly ONE shock for our bikes - the model with remote reservoir. The only option (aside obviously from the valving and spring rates which are custom-spec to your order) is hydraulic preload, which I won't be needing since I never change my load weight unless I take a particularly large crap between rides ;)