Audiovox Cruise and Vacuum Requirements

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian T

Reaction score
Well I'm back with another question on the Audiovox cruise control. It trips out as it appears to do for many others on the forum. I thought I had it figured out with a loose connection on the filter (resistor) between the coil and the unit (temporary happiness). I just got back from a 5400 mile trip between Denver and the coast of Maine and unfortunately the cruise worked sporatically. I would have preferred to have a throttle lock than an intermittent electronic cruise. I've been hunting on the forum to find a solution to this problem but I have not yet found the holy grail. A working cruise is required or the bike must go (hate to do that since the bike is great otherwise).

Two related questions:

Has anyone found a solid solution?

I just syncronized the carbs and can only get 222 mmHG and that is with most of the screws turned in almost completely. Service manual calls for 250 mmHG and I can't get there (live in Denver but don't think that should impact this). I have the cruise connected to all 4 intakes with check valves on each one.

Any ideas on how to get more vacuum and could this have an impact on the ability for the cruise to function more than a few miles at a time?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Brian in Denver

Doesn't sound like you have a vacuum problem with your cruise. Vacuum (or lack there-of) might cause it to respond slowly or loose speed on hills, etc. but not drop out entirely. Have you looked at things like the brake switch that might be a bit hair trigger and causing the cruise to drop on bumps ?? What about any sort of signal generator on the tail/brake lights that seems to confuse some of the cruise installs??

Are you using a vacuum canister to accumulate vacuum after the check valves? It helps with the vacuum supply especially at altitude.

Being in Denver has all the effect in the world on intake manifold vacuum. Yes. Quite possibly the reason you can't find enough.