audiovox install kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CODan

Reaction score
I'd like to put in this cruise control but I'm intimidate by the complexity, to say the least.

So here's an idea - someone that has this all figured out should become a dealer for the AVCC, make up a kit of all the parts needed for a clean install and a good set of instructions with photos at every step. . Two versions of the instructions - one for direct wire to the battery, one for installation with a fuzeblock or similar . Sell it for a decent profit, make some $ and make everybody happy.

Or make me happy anyway.

I'd like to put in this cruise control but I'm intimidate by the complexity, to say the least.
So here's an idea - someone that has this all figured out should become a dealer for the AVCC, make up a kit of all the parts needed for a clean install and a good set of instructions with photos at every step. . Two versions of the instructions - one for direct wire to the battery, one for installation with a fuzeblock or similar . Sell it for a decent profit, make some $ and make everybody happy.

Or make me happy anyway.
Sounds like you're after an MC Cruise Kit

The MC Cruise comes complete with a FULL kit, down to cable ties. And a proper, safe setup for the throttle interface cable, the instructions are awesome. And the the cruise computer has numerous safety features specifically designed for bike applications. I've just finished installing an MC Cruise on my 07 and I am totally impressed with the level of detail and thought that went into putting this kit together to make it so straight forward to install at home...

You beat me to it.

I have lusted after the McCruise ever since I got my first S-T in '03. However I find the McCruise to be way overpriced - or maybe I'm just spoiled that I paid less than $100 for the Audiovox I have on my ride.

Having said that, I must say that the Audiovox is really only intimidating until you've gone and done it once. it really isn't hard to do. Not even the interface to the throttle pull (rather than using a screw I used a cotter pin to hold the chain. Not my idea).

One question; How do they handle the throttle interface on the McCruise? Because that is supposedly the hardest part of the Audiovox install.

Last edited by a moderator:
You beat me to it.
I have lusted after the McCruise ever since I got my first S-T in '03. However I find the McCruise to be way overpriced - or maybe I'm just spoiled that I paid less than $100 for the Audiovox I have on my ride.

Having said that, I must say that the Audiovox is really only intimidating until you've gone and done it once. it really isn't hard to do. Not even the interface to the throttle pull (rather than using a screw I used a cotter pin to hold the chain. Not my idea).

One question; How do they handle the throttle interface on the McCruise? Because that is supposedly the hardest part of the Audiovox install.
No argument that MC Cruise is not cheap, and I spent a lot of time thinking before I spent the $$$ on it, I even went as far as buying the AVCC & Skyway bracket (which are still sitting in the original box waiting to be sold). But the MC specific safety features built into the MC Cruise computer are IMHO worth it... The MC Cruise also is designed to work flawlessly without an air reservoir and is totally plug and play. I would go as far as to say it may even be better then some OEM CCs.

The MC Cruise uses a proprietary what they call a CIU (cable interface unit) which uses a third cable that is connected from the throttle to the CIU, the other two are the OEM and CC cables. Below are a couple of the many diagrams, from the install manual.

ModelspecificCIUdualspool_MCSU40-1.png

ModelspecificCIUdualspool_MCSU400V2.png

yamahafjr1300aeCC3.jpg

I also opted for their GenII AE mounting location on my FJR A to retain the use of the under seat area.

yamahafjr1300aeCC1.jpg
yamahafjr1300aeCC2.jpg

Okay, I wondered how I could have overlooked this great cruise control for so long. So I clicked on the link and remembered. $920!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It reminded me of how happy I am with my throttle lock.

So here's an idea - someone that has this all figured out should become a dealer for the AVCC, make up a kit of all the parts needed for a clean install and a good set of instructions with photos at every step. . Two versions of the instructions - one for direct wire to the battery, one for installation with a fuzeblock or similar .
The AVCC already comes with a BIG bag of hardware I only needed to go to the hardware store for one screw. I even fashioned a mounting bracket for the control pad out of the servo mounting bracket $00.00, take that Skyway :glare: The only other major pieces I used that didn't come in the AVCC box was a $2.79 fuel filter and a $1.79 one way valve for the vacuum reservoir. Other than that there were some ty-wraps and wire loom. You want instructions?? Here you go www.fjrforum.com :p the best source for all things FJR.

Sell it for a decent profit, make some $ and make everybody happy.
Or make me happy anyway.
OK, now send me $50 :huh: ;)

Seriously all the info is right here, no special tools, a little creativity, keep it simple and take your time.

The AVCC already comes with a BIG bag of hardware I only needed to go to the hardware store for one screw. I even fashioned a mounting bracket for the control pad out of the servo mounting bracket $00.00, take that Skyway :glare: The only other major pieces I used that didn't come in the AVCC box was a $2.79 fuel filter and a $1.79 one way valve for the vacuum reservoir. Other than that there were some ty-wraps and wire loom. You want instructions?? Here you go www.fjrforum.com :p the best source for all things FJR.
Seriously all the info is right here, no special tools, a little creativity, keep it simple and take your time.
I got my kit from Autozone during the great clearout last year, but I strongly recommend my friend Gary Murphy as a supplier extraordinaire (tell him Bram sent you, not that it'll get you any special deals) (Link to the CC product page) and I bought his mounting bracket for the control pad - simple, but effective (Link to the bracket page).

Note that Gary includes a large vacume bottle (supplied by Audiovox) that fits nicely under the rear seat on the Gen-II - though not if you have a Corbin Smuggler. If you prefer to make up your own vacume reservoire, I believe you can delete the bottle and save a couple of bucks - call Gary and ask.

As to what I needed that wasn't in the box?

- 2 new rubber o-rings for the water pipe

- a length of vacume hose for the vacume return

- a relay to interface to the brake system (I took no chances).

- electrical tape

- tie-wraps

As it happens, I had everything (except the o-rings and hose) on hand.

Do not use the insulation displacement connectors that come with the kit. Strip, solder and tape everything.

One of the things about the McCruise is that it uses an electrically actuated servo - no vacume required. You can do the same - Rostra (who make the Audiovox unit) also offer an electrically actuated unit. But it costs considerably more than the vacume unit.

Last edited by a moderator: