Audiovox installation note

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeemerGeezer

Reaction score
I've recently learned something about the Audiovox CCS100 cruise control that I haven't seen mentioned in the forums - and I thought I'd pass it along.

I installed the Audiovox, got everything connected up all right and proper, and decided to test it before putting all the various bits and pieces back on the bike. I figured to save myself some effort in the case that I'd got something wrong.

I told myself that I could test the installation by running the bike on the centerstand, in neutral. Raise the RPMs, press 'Set' on the control pad, slowly let off the throttle. The Audiovox would then keep the RPM setting I'd chosen and I'd know the installation was a success.

Except, that didn't happen. The Audiovox didn't dutifully keep the RPM setting I'd tried to set.

Rats, I must have got something wrong.

Okay, fine, time to troubleshoot. Out comes the multimeter.

Power? Check.

Ground? Check.

Brake signal? Check.

Engine RPM? Check.

Engine vacuum? check, good strong vacuum.

LED on the servo lights when the 'Set', 'Resume' buttons pressed? Check.

Mutter. Curse. I must have a bad servo.

Swap in the known-good servo from another bike: Nothing.

Head-scratch, say bad, bad words.

Call my friend Doug (Bugnatr here in the forum) and ask that he try his (working) Audiovox with his FJR on its centerstand: Nothing.

Put the bike together and go for a ride ... the cruise works great.

What in the wide, wide world of sports is a-goin' on here? The Audiovox shouldn't be able to tell whether its on the centerstand or on the road. All it knows is 12v, ground, brake light, engine speed, engine vacuum. But, for whatever reason, it just doesn't work when the bike isn't being ridden.

I hope to both save someone else the solid day of troubleshooting that I needlessly did and also to maybe learn just what it is that keeps the Audiovox from working on the centerstand.

Cheers,

tom the BeemerGeezer

I've recently learned something about the Audiovox CCS100 cruise control that I haven't seen mentioned in the forums - and I thought I'd pass it along.
I installed the Audiovox, got everything connected up all right and proper, and decided to test it before putting all the various bits and pieces back on the bike. I figured to save myself some effort in the case that I'd got something wrong.

I told myself that I could test the installation by running the bike on the centerstand, in neutral. Raise the RPMs, press 'Set' on the control pad, slowly let off the throttle. The Audiovox would then keep the RPM setting I'd chosen and I'd know the installation was a success.

Except, that didn't happen. The Audiovox didn't dutifully keep the RPM setting I'd tried to set.

Rats, I must have got something wrong.

Okay, fine, time to troubleshoot. Out comes the multimeter.

Power? Check.

Ground? Check.

Brake signal? Check.

Engine RPM? Check.

Engine vacuum? check, good strong vacuum.

LED on the servo lights when the 'Set', 'Resume' buttons pressed? Check.

Mutter. Curse. I must have a bad servo.

Swap in the known-good servo from another bike: Nothing.

Head-scratch, say bad, bad words.

Call my friend Doug (Bugnatr here in the forum) and ask that he try his (working) Audiovox with his FJR on its centerstand: Nothing.

Put the bike together and go for a ride ... the cruise works great.

What in the wide, wide world of sports is a-goin' on here? The Audiovox shouldn't be able to tell whether its on the centerstand or on the road. All it knows is 12v, ground, brake light, engine speed, engine vacuum. But, for whatever reason, it just doesn't work when the bike isn't being ridden.

I hope to both save someone else the solid day of troubleshooting that I needlessly did and also to maybe learn just what it is that keeps the Audiovox from working on the centerstand.

Cheers,

tom the BeemerGeezer
Simple.

The CCS 100 is designed to hold speed within about +/- 15% of the original setting. However, with no load, it accels/decels more than that. Free-wheeling makes even the tiniest throttle position change too great and the CCS100 shuts itself off for safety.

So, it's not that it didn't work. It's that the safety feature worked correctly.

You may or may not notice the throttle engaging while running on the centerstand.

It will take up the slack and engage, but as pointed out above, it will also disengage almost immediately.

Glad you got it sorted.

Shane

Latest posts