Audivox CCS-100 not recommended for FJR??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3386

Reaction score
Yamaha of Rancho Cucamonga, a recommended Southern California FJR service department by forum members, told me me today, when I inquired about whether or not they could install my Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control on my '06 FJR A (and also another on my buddy's '04A), said they'd rather not, citing 1) too much electrical draw on the alternator and 2) "What happens if it fails and leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere?" :blink:

Hmm. I thought the new FJRs have a bigger alternator. And stranded? Tire blow-out or running out of gas would fit that category too, no? (They recommended sticking with a mechanical throttle lock.)

Maybe I'll just take a cross-country ride (with a throttle lock) and have that helpful-sounding Missouri fellow here on the forum take a crack at the cruise...

Interesting, considering that it's fused at 3 amps. wow.

Gee - I wonder what the vacuum is used for?

And were it to fail, then, golly gee whiz, you'd just have to keep your hand on the throttle. Durnit.

And there are forum members that live much closer to you that have installed the CCS100 on the 06A

:ph34r: Like, ahhhh..... somewheres within around 25 miles from Long Beach. :secret:

You will be hard pressed to find a Yamaha dealer that will be willing to install the Audiovox CC.

Why?

LIABILITY.

Make the world a better place.............shoot a lawyer. :eek:

J/K!!!

So, it's due to liability they won't install it. Current draw and stranding are the ridiculous reasons they are telling you so they don't sound chicken, I guess. Instead, they just sound stupid. I know, they are a highly respected dealer, so why they won't level with you is beyond me. In the end though, really, you can't blame them. In our highly litigious society, they have to watch their ass.

You will be hard pressed to find a Yamaha dealer that will be willing to install the Audiovox CC.
Why?

LIABILITY.

Make the world a better place.............shoot a lawyer. :eek:

J/K!!!

So, it's due to liability they won't install it. Current draw and stranding are the ridiculous reasons they are telling you so they don't sound chicken, I guess. Instead, they just sound stupid. I know, they are a highly respected dealer, so why they won't level with you is beyond me. In the end though, really, you can't blame them. In our highly litigious society, they have to watch their ass.
Scoot, you nailed it. Liability.

Lee, had you considered installing it yourself with someone helping you? :dntknw: Is this an option?

Yamaha of Rancho Cucamonga, a recommended Southern California FJR service department by forum members, told me me today, when I inquired about whether or not they could install my Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control on my '06 FJR A (and also another on my buddy's '04A), said they'd rather not, citing 1) too much electrical draw on the alternator and 2) "What happens if it fails and leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere?" :blink:
Hmm. I thought the new FJRs have a bigger alternator. And stranded? Tire blow-out or running out of gas would fit that category too, no? (They recommended sticking with a mechanical throttle lock.)

Maybe I'll just take a cross-country ride (with a throttle lock) and have that helpful-sounding Missouri fellow here on the forum take a crack at the cruise...
First, let me preface all this with the blanket of "worst case scenario" and "retail customers suck ass" and such...

Not saying I wholly agree with their position, but I can understand their point. You're talking about a factory-certified place going ahead with a 3rd party add-on. It'd be real easy for you, the consumer, to have problems of nearly *any* type after the installation and point to their work and say "I never had these problems until that dealership installed this here cruise control!"

Would you rather have had them say something like "sure, but you realize that we wouldn't want to get involved in warranty work on that bike any more?" or "Sign this release form absolving us from any further problems on this bike."

Nah, it's reasonable for them to not want to do it. They have to protect their ties to the manufacturers for the long haul, and if it got back to Yamaha that Dealer XYZ is doing 3rd party upgrades that affect the bike's mechanicals and electricals, and still filing warranty claims and having customers make noise if something fails, it'd be within Yamaha's rights to drop that dealer.

Dealers will never willingly agree to put anything that affects the driveability of the vehicle, because if something goes wrong (particularly in California) they'll get sued and put out of business.

Having said that, the CCS-100 is an excellent unit and your bike will not vaporise or explode if you install one. It will not affect your warranty either.

Last edited by a moderator:

First, let me preface all this with the blanket of "worst case scenario" and "retail customers suck ass" and such...

Not saying I wholly agree with their position, but I can understand their point. You're talking about a factory-certified place going ahead with a 3rd party add-on. It'd be real easy for you, the consumer, to have problems of nearly *any* type after the installation and point to their work and say "I never had these problems until that dealership installed this here cruise control!"

Would you rather have had them say something like "sure, but you realize that we wouldn't want to get involved in warranty work on that bike any more?" or "Sign this release form absolving us from any further problems on this bike."

Nah, it's reasonable for them to not want to do it. They have to protect their ties to the manufacturers for the long haul, and if it got back to Yamaha that Dealer XYZ is doing 3rd party upgrades that affect the bike's mechanicals and electricals, and still filing warranty claims and having customers make noise if something fails, it'd be within Yamaha's rights to drop that dealer.
Factory dealerships add 3rd party add-ons all the time. How many will put a PCIII on a bike? Quite a few do it. They put all kinds of aftermarket stuff on bikes. Most dealers are willing to install whatever you can order out of the catalogs they have.

Factory dealerships add 3rd party add-ons all the time. How many will put a PCIII on a bike? Quite a few do it. They put all kinds of aftermarket stuff on bikes. Most dealers are willing to install whatever you can order out of the catalogs they have.
Good point, but those items are typically designed specifically for the bike, not shoe-horned in to make it work. I should have been more clear.

+1 to what Scooter and KaitsDad said. Virtually impossible for it to strand you unless something mechanical got badly jammed. Just don't see how it could happen with a decent installation. I never had a problem and it ounds like there's upwards of 100 other FJR riders who can say the same. Too bad the dealer didn't just say, "We don't do that, but you can do it yourself."

What's that sound? Do I hear this thread moving to Parts & Accessories?

Last edited by a moderator: