Autocom issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atxrider

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Wondering if you can help me with an issue. I was in the hill country this past week and trying to use my autocom setup, but the VOX was always staying engaged. I turn the VOX control all the way down and it still stayed engaged. I have it rigged to a midland gxt600...it seems to work fine at low speeds, but once over 50, seems to have this problem.

Anyone else have an issue with this setup? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Davy

Davy,

I've posted a couple of times in the past about wind noise getting to the mic in the rider or passenger helmet. Good placement and a good windsock on the mic will cure this.

I don't use an FRS radio with my Autocom setup, but could the wind or noise from the bike be activating the radio?

Davy,
I've posted a couple of times in the past about wind noise getting to the mic in the rider or passenger helmet. Good placement and a good windsock on the mic will cure this.

I don't use an FRS radio with my Autocom setup, but could the wind or noise from the bike be activating the radio?
Thanks for the response. Can you explain what a winsock is exactly?

Your second point is a good one. I did test GMRS radio...it is not transmitting while plugged in the autocom.

Thanks for the response. Can you explain what a winsock is exactly?
You've no doubt seen them on open face helmets with comm systems. They are egg shaped pieces of foam that cover the microphone. They are open cell foam so that sound will get thru to the mic, but they muffle out a lot of the wind noise that can get in and set off the vox.

Even on full face helmets they are often necessary. They often amplify a lot of other noises from the bike and helmet, even with the visor closed. The passenger gets a lot more of just plain wind noise because she is up higher and is getting the residual blast of air from the windshield.

The Autocom manuals can't emphasize enough the importance of correct mic (and speaker) placement. The mic must be located right in front of your lips, practically touching.

The speakers must be RIGHT on your ear canals for proper sound, volume, and bass response. Test the speakers by taking them out of the helmet, hold them on your ears like headphones, and play a good music source. They will probably sound awesome. Pull them away from your ears only 1/4 inch and see how tinny and crappy they sound. Case closed!

Back to the windsock, you can buy or make them. I used open cell foam from a pkg of FROST KING Air conditioner weatherstrip, 2 inch square thickness, from LOWEs.

Pieces can be cut and shaped with scissors, a sharp knife and I even used a bench grinder to shape it to fit my helmet. Each model of helmet will be different.

I may have some pics of finished product that I could e-mail you.

Charlie

[email protected] (put "FJR" in the subject line)

Agree with Charlie.

Autocom has a windsock cover for their microphone if you don't want to make one.

it solved almost all my issues.

I eventually also disconnected the "background" mic that goes in the helmet for noise cancellation.

This resolved the rest of my problems.

good luck

Well I did some checking and this Midland radio has its own VOX setting, specifically three different settings. It could be that you need to simply turn this feature of the radio off and use only the VOX on the Autocom. I have been using my Autocom for several years now and have not had this problem with their VOX. Here is a list of features listed on Midland's website for the GXT600:

* Up to 18 Mile Range

* All Hazards Weather Radio - Automatic severe weather/hazard information 24/7

* Vibrate Alert - Provides silent page/call notification

* Switchable Hi/Med/Lo Power - Allows you to adjust transmit power

* 22 Channels

* 121 Privacy Codes - Gives you up to 2,662 channel options to help block other conversations

* [SIZE=12pt]3 Levels of eVOX - Allows hands-free operation[/SIZE]. No need for an external microphone

* Channel Scan - Automatically checks channels for activity

* 5 Call Alerts - Different call tones to notify you of incoming calls from your group

* Silent Operation - Turns off all tones for quiet operation

* Auto Squelch - Removes annoying background noise

* Auto Battery Save - Provides longer battery life

* Keypad Lock - Locks in your selected settings

* Roger Beep - Indicates call completion

* Backlit Display - For easy nighttime viewing

* Monitor - Checks for any activity on your channel

* Water Resistant - Prevents damage from light water exposure

* Keystroke Tones - Audible tones with each key press

* Mic / Headset Jacks - For speaker mic and headphones

* Drop-in Charger Capable

* On / Off Volume Knob

* Package Includes 2 Radios and Belt Clips

* Uses 4 AA Batteries (not included)

* FCC License Required

Good luck hope this helps.

Gary

thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I will go to the dealer tomorrow and get a windsock. I will let you know if it does the trick. Gonna double check the VOX setting on my radio as well.

Regards,

Davy

Gary,

The Midlands does have three levels of VOX but you have to go through the AudioCom to get at them. On the original problem, the AudioCom VOX is probably the culprit. I kept hearing my MP3 audio level drop until I got the windsock. That should also trigger the GRMS/FRS to transmit unless the AudioCom output doesn't meet the VOX threshhold of the radio. Wind noise would have no effect on the GRMS/FRS VOX until the AudioCom triggers the radio.

Gary,The Midlands does have three levels of VOX but you have to go through the AudioCom to get at them. On the original problem, the AudioCom VOX is probably the culprit. I kept hearing my MP3 audio level drop until I got the windsock. That should also trigger the GRMS/FRS to transmit unless the AudioCom output doesn't meet the VOX threshhold of the radio. Wind noise would have no effect on the GRMS/FRS VOX until the AudioCom triggers the radio.
You are absolutely right. Once the Autocom is plugged into the radio the active microphone is the microphone in the Autocom headset. Should have thought of that.

Gary