Autovox Cruise Install Problem - HELP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckydog

Reaction score
For those who have installed the Autovox cruise I need some advice, I have read and re-read the install's posted here and started to install the unit this weekend, it was all going very well untill....

At the end of the cable from the unit it has about a 1 1/2 inch threaded steel thing, this is the end that you bolt on beside the bike's throttle cable - well when I put everything together it snapped off, man was I pissed - so I managed to cut and remove the broken threaded piece and what remains is a 1/2 inch steel end cap that the cable(with ball end) comes out of. If you are still with me, thank you.

So at this point I simply attached the cable (now without the thread) and bolt the larger end so it can't pull out, okay this is my question.......

Can I simply attach the ball directly to the fish eye thing? the thing i attached to the tang....

Do I have to use the chain?

What is the reason behind the chain?

I have tested the full motion on the throttle and with it attached direclty (no chain) it has full movement and in the closed position it has a little bit of slack, to me this looks okay but before I completly put the bike together I want a second option.

Thanks in advanced for all your wisdom.

The chain is there to give the manual throttle room to move without bothering the CC cable. You can wrap your wrist without bothering the idle CC mechanism.

Without the chain, moving the throttle will move the CC cable as well, either by flexing it out of the way, or by sliding it back into the servo. Where does it go in there? Is it a bad thing? I can't tell you.

The main problem is where you want a bit of throttle while you're using the CC. With the chain, no problem: the CC backs off its cable while you run it up, thinking the bike needs to slow down. When you let go of the throttle and the bike slows down, the CC will resume the previous speed. Without the chain, the CC cable has nowhere to go except to squeeze the vacuum diaphram.

Bottom line is, there has to be some place for the CC to go slack when the throttle is operated manually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Question.....

It says to intall a PCV, does anyone know a part number at the local auto parts store? I went to two yesterday and told them I needed a Duel Port Check Valve 3/16 and they both looked at me like I was talking German.

Help, again.

Another Question.....
It says to intall a PCV, does anyone know a part number at the local auto parts store? I went to two yesterday and told them I needed a Duel Port Check Valve 3/16 and they both looked at me like I was talking German.

Help, again.

checkvalves -

Here's a couple - clean

or Good, but you will need to plug extra barb

And there's always McMaster-Carr - McMaster , look at part number 47245K35 - this valve is PVDF body with Viton diaphram that will outlast just about anything out there.

It's just a plastic one way valve that keeps the vacuum from bleeding away from the servo unit. Every auto parts store has them in the self help vacuum fittings area.

I you're not installing a reservior, you don't need a check valve. If you rely on the unit's built-in vacuum chamber, it's controlled by electric solenoids, one to allow vacuum, one to vent to atmosphere.

Where you'd want a check valve is between the vacuum source (intake manifold) and a tank or reservior of some kind. That would hold vacuum so even if the manifold is running low inches (which it will at good throttle) you have vacuum available for the CC servo.

I don't have a reservoir, but I live in Florida. I took the bike to Birmingham in October, cruise performed satisfactorily. I had to "help" it once or twice, but otherwise it was hands off. If I were in hillier country, I'd put a vacuum canister in somewhere.

I'm putting a reservior in, I really have to look at the directions again... I got about half way done, built the reservior and everything but I needed a Check Valve so I stopped. Now I will go and buy one - and finish this !!!

Question: May be a stupid question since I am at work and not looking at the directions, but which way does the PCV go, I assume it has an 'arrow' on it and I'm going to want that arrow pointing AWAY from the servo unit.... CORRECT?

Luckydog

FWIW, most pet stores and all aquarium shops carry high reliability check valves. If an aquarium check valve were to fail either fish die or expensive equipment dies so they are made to last. Most valves are plastic, ~$2 ea. Quality pet stores and especially salt water supply stores have or can get brass check valves. Most of the plastic valves are translucent so you can see the valve actually actuate. If you have access to professional parts from suppliers like McMaster Carr, MSC Industrial Supplies or Grainger for a few dollars more you can get rugged, industrial strength parts.

If you can't find a check valve, buy a vacuum canister from Murph. $17.50 with shipping.

murph

Last edited by a moderator:
Last question... I hope.

Has everyone used the "gray" wire to the turn signal? is this needed? can I just wire up the gray wire to my switched power supply like all my other stuff?

I seem to take two steps forward and one back with this farkle....

thanks!

Last question... I hope.
Has everyone used the "gray" wire to the turn signal? is this needed? can I just wire up the gray wire to my switched power supply like all my other stuff?

I seem to take two steps forward and one back with this farkle....

thanks!
If you've already got a switched power supply, that's perfect. The turn signal was a good source of switched power for those without terminal strips installed, that's all. It lights up when the key is on.

Okay, last night I took the beast out for a ride, and everything worked just like it should.

Wow, was I happy, a big thanks to everyone who helped me with my questions along the way- without a doubt the best thing I've done yet....