Aux. Equipment : Relay + Switched source

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanfjr

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been doing some research for this but still can't get a confirmation :

I've added a relay + fusebox near the glove box on the left side. This will power auxiliary equipment (lights, etc, total 2-3 eq. with 5/10amp each).

12V power sources comes from the battery with a heavy gauge + a 40amp fuse.

Now, I need a switched power source, either ON when ignition is ON / or ON when ENGINE is ON. Both are fine to me.

Can I connect on Relay terminal 86 the Heating grips (+) cable ? (to get switched source : ON when engine is ON)

Will this have any (side)effects on the amps from the grip or so ? ...Or is it only to "trigger" the relay, and then 12V Battery + fuse will do their job ?

Many thanks in advance for the help

:) Van

Possible places in the vicinity: the supply to the glove box 12 volt outlet, green/blue, or the lid solenoid supply, brown, both of these are ignition switched. The grip controller green/blue wire is on with headlamps. No side effects with any of these (unless you blow the fuse for the 12V outlet by plugging in a tyre pump, then none of your auxiliary stuff will work
mda.gif
).

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible places in the vicinity: the supply to the glove box 12 volt outlet, green/blue, or the lid solenoid supply, brown, both of these are ignition switched. The grip controller green/blue wire is on with headlamps. No side effects with any of these (unless you blow the fuse for the 12V outlet by plugging in a tyre pump, then none of your auxiliary stuff will work
mda.gif
).
Thanks for your help !!

Also, if my aux. equipements are fused (by the fuse box / relay fused 40a) they won't be a risk of blowing the fuse of the switched circuit right (12v glove box for example) ?

mda.gif
).
Thanks for your help !!

Also, if my aux. equipements are fused (by the fuse box / relay fused 40a) they won't be a risk of blowing the fuse of the switched circuit right (12v glove box for example) ?
You will only have your relay coil current from whichever switched source you use. This will be a low current, maybe 0.15A, insignificant compared with the fuses, even the measly 3A fuse of the 12V outlet. Your loads after your relay won't affect this supply.

mda.gif
).
Thanks for your help !!

You will only have your relay coil current from whichever switched source you use. This will be a low current, maybe 0.15A, insignificant compared with the fuses, even the measly 3A fuse of the 12V outlet. Your loads after your relay won't affect this supply.
Great !! I'll do that !

I'm finally seeing an end to this ;)

Thanks !

Quick question, if I tap the switched power of the heated grips, there are 3 cables:

- white/black

-black/ green

- red

I guess I should take the red one ?

Quick question, if I tap the switched power of the heated grips, there are 3 cables:- white/black

-black/ green

- red

I wouldn't do that. Use the power to the glovebox outlet. It is about all it is good for. Each aux. load should be it's own branch circuit. It keeps things simple if there are ever any problems.

Quick question, if I tap the switched power of the heated grips, there are 3 cables:- white/black

-black/ green

- red

According to my diagram, the wire you want is green/blue on the loom side of the blue connector and brown on the controller side of the blue connector, see the picture below.

(Click on image for larger view)

If you do decide to tap the heated grip circuit for relay power, at the temperature controller you would tap the green/blue wire as mcatrophie mentioned in post # 2; if you tap at the grips use the brown wire. Do not use the red wire.

Edit: I see mcatrophy posted while I was typing. We even have the same info!

I as well as others, I have disabled the auto retract on the windscreen and used that as the switched power source. In my case, finding the wire to do this was quite well hidden as compared to earlier models than my 08?