Aux lite wiring problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustHoward

Reaction score
I put on a set of aux lites, with a DPDT switch, so they'll come on either with bright lites only or on all the time. I tied into the bright light lead to one of the headlights, but I can't find a wire that is hot WHEN THE KEY IS ON. I don't want the switch (and hence, the relay) to be hot all the time, but only when the key is on.

Where is there a wire, and what color is it, that gets hot when the key is on, somewhere under the front ABCD panels?

I put on a set of aux lites, with a DPDT switch, so they'll come on either with bright lites only or on all the time. I tied into the bright light lead to one of the headlights, but I can't find a wire that is hot WHEN THE KEY IS ON. I don't want the switch (and hence, the relay) to be hot all the time, but only when the key is on.
Where is there a wire, and what color is it, that gets hot when the key is on, somewhere under the front ABCD panels?
The headlights won't light until the engine is running which is probably why you aren't getting any juice with just the key on. I don't remember the color wire, but someone who has done this recently (did mine almost 5 years ago and suffer from CRSS) or that has a shop manual can probably help with that.

Edit- I re-read your question. As the other guys have said (and I should have) find a 12V source from a running light or other source if you want power with only the key on (prior to the engine running). If you want the aux lites on only when the engine is running (like the headlights do) run your aux lites relay power source from the low beam side.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm understanding this correctly, one pole of your switch is wired to your high beams, so your aux lights come on with the high beams.

Now you need an ignition hot source to drive the other pole of your switch so you can turn your aux lights on independent of your high beams.

You can find switched +12V at the cig lighter connector in front of the glove box, the windshield auto retract connector, front running lights, and probably several other places. I don't know the wire colors, but that's what multimeters are for.

FWIW,

I removed the left hand front panels. Immediately under the speedo, bolted to the frame, is the headlight relay. There are five wires in this connector. The top wire, blue with green stripes, is the 'hot' wire that comes on with the ignition. I tapped into this wire, and now the aux lites work as they should. A fuxelock would have been better, but that's for the next time.

If I weren't so tired and pissed by the time I got this to work (1 AM), I would have taken pictures.

Howard