Aux power fuse

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usgregp

Reaction score
2006 FJR1300AE
Why is there no fuse for aux power on this bike????????? There is supposed to be. I
accessed both fuse boxes next to battery and there is no 3 amp fuse or any mention of one on fuse box lid. This is EXTREMELY frustrating!!!!!
thank you for any good info.

There is!

I haven't blown it myself, but many have and it's been talked about many, many times. Usually when somebody plugs in an inflator or high-draw items.

Found a reference for you with the Search function. HotRodZilla knows his technical stuff.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/power-port-not-working.177849/#post-1432118
I checked again & a 10 amp fuse was put in its place. When I pulled glove box, I found someone had added a power line to the seat. likely for a heated something. I have put 40,000 miles on it with zero issues charging my phone. I recently added a wireless charger for my new phone. it should not blow a 10 amp fuse. I will check amp draw while charging. 10 amp fuse appeared good but in fact had blown. thanks for your quick response enticing me to re-check everything.

I checked again & a 10 amp fuse was put in its place. When I pulled glove box, I found someone had added a power line to the seat. likely for a heated something. I have put 40,000 miles on it with zero issues charging my phone. I recently added a wireless charger for my new phone. it should not blow a 10 amp fuse. I will check amp draw while charging. 10 amp fuse appeared good but in fact had blown. thanks for your quick response enticing me to re-check everything.
The wire that feeds the glove box outlet isn't suitable for higher currents - I wouldn't run anything close to 10A for an extended period of time.

I have put 40,000 miles on it with zero issues charging my phone. I recently added a wireless charger for my new phone. it should not blow a 10 amp fuse. I will check amp draw while charging. 10 amp fuse appeared good but in fact had blown. thanks for your quick response enticing me to re-check everything.
So, you're potentially falling in the same trap as the previous owner. Do you know what wire Yamaha sized for that 3 amp fuse? Will the wire degrade if it flows...say....9 amp over time? Why did Yamaha engineers choose 3 amps and not 10?

It's your bike, but if it were mine I'd put a 3 amp fuse back in and make it right. I'd run a separate line for powering things like heated clothing, inflators, and other things over 3 amp...like the line they ran from the seat, but make sure it's also sized properly and fused. I've been around too long to not have learned diagnosing electrics later on motorcycles with sketchy choices sucks and seen quite a few frustated members on this forum flail when the smart fellas tell 'em to keep it stock.

Good luck whichever way you go. ;)