Aux wiring on the bike...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
OK so I'm wiring my wife's bike (2005 SV650) for some Hyper-Whites and I used standard crimp connectors backed up with a dose of electrical tape. It looks ok and I don't expect any issues from it down the road. Now... I'm starting to think about wiring up my 08 FJR with the aux lights and farkles like that. I've seen a lot of posts about soldering the wires, using extra think gauge wire and placing the wires in stainless steel braided sleeves etc. So - what are good ideas/techniques and what are a bit over the top in regard to adding wiring to your bike? I mean, I kind of look at it like, well if a wire disconnects or breaks, yah its a pain to fix, but its only an accessory - not mission critical to the bike. Hmmm, but wait, if a wire breaks for an accessory, I could have a short and that could drain the battery too. Oh heck, its apparent I'm a wiring newbie. :cap:

Thanks

Scott

PS: anyone know of any good books on motorcycle wiring techniques?

As for a book, Tracy Martin did a great job in writing his:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Electrica...s/dp/0760327165

Clicky to go straight to Amazon ad

As for techniques, everybody who answers will say that theirs is best or they know best. Personally, I keep it simple and fast. Twist the wires to make sure the crimp has something mechanical to bite, then use the proper size crimper, put in some dielectric grease to prevent corrosion, and I'm pretty well done. YMMV.

Bob

Point your web browser right on over to the Iron Butt Forum. Clicky Brian Roberts does a great job showing us electro-idiots how it's done.

Paul Peloquin

IBA #333

Monmouth OR

Thanks for the questions - very timely as I'm looking at adding a Starcom 1 now and Valentine One and GPS later this season - and trying to remember that red is positive (or is it negative??) and black is ground is about my understanding of electrical stuff.

The answers have been great and very helpful!

Latest posts