Avoiding LA traffic?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevec677

Reaction score
I am planning a trip out west for this fall and was wondering if there is a way to avoid LA traffic? I want to work my way down the coast from San Jose to San Diego. Should I just make a huge loop around LA (ie.out by San Bernardino)? Is there a good time to miss the traffic? I have only driven in LA traffic once, and "driven" was not the correct word. I believe "parked" would be a better description.

Is there a good time to miss the traffic? I have only driven in LA traffic once, and "driven" was not the correct word. I believe "parked" would be a better description.
"Riding" a motorcycle is different than "driving" a car. Read up on and consider trying safe "lane splitting" in this wonderful place.

If you can, make the trip before or after commutes. Same principle as Albany rush hour--just much larger and longer. I find traffic after 9 p.m. and before 5 a.m. usually fine.

But, riding around LA to avoid traffic is like saying you want to go from Louisiana to Mexico, but not go through Texas. You can, but why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay away from LA on Friday afternoon, and any weekday commute hours. The times I have had to cross LA to get to San Diego. I just stop in the outskirts, Santa Barbara pier a few times if on 101, or Santa Clarita if I was on I-5, if I have already made my way into the Santa Monica Mountains then I just hang around Malibu, go have dinner or as many cups of coffee, or just relax by the beach as long as I have to while I wait for the traffic Armageddon to subside.

I have rode through several times on weekends (Sat & Sun) and traffic isn't bad.

Some locals might be able to provide you with better advice.

There are a few routes to consider. You could go directly to Palm Springs/Palm Desert or go through SR 2 Angeles Crest Hwy starting in La Canada and navigate to Palm

Desert and take Hwy 74 the Palms to Pines Hwy to SR 311 to SR 79 to Julian, a definite pie stop.

Continue on 79 along the Cuyamaca Hwy to interstate 8 west to San Diego.

It is about a 5 hour trip plus or minus from 74 to Dan Diego.

It is the scenic route but will keep you away from the L.A. traffic.

I hope this helps.

This is a great suggestion! B)

There are a few routes to consider. You could go directly to Palm Springs/Palm Desert or go through SR 2 Angeles Crest Hwy starting in La Canada and navigate to Palm Desert and take Hwy 74 the Palms to Pines Hwy to SR 311 to SR 79 to Julian, a definite pie stop.

Continue on 79 along the Cuyamaca Hwy to interstate 8 west to San Diego.

It is about a 5 hour trip plus or minus from 74 to Dan Diego.

It is the scenic route but will keep you away from the L.A. traffic.

I hope this helps.

I am planning a trip out west for this fall and was wondering if there is a way to avoid LA traffic? I want to work my way down the coast from San Jose to San Diego. Should I just make a huge loop around LA (ie.out by San Bernardino)? Is there a good time to miss the traffic? I have only driven in LA traffic once, and "driven" was not the correct word. I believe "parked" would be a better description.
"Work my way down the coast." What is it you want to see? To experience?

"I rode PCH all the way from San Jose to San Diego." Then sorry, but going to Palm Springs is going to invalidate that claim. Suck it up and deal with it. Most of PCH, or CA-1, is city streets once you get south of Malibu. It's not too bad, but it's not what I'd call a motorcycling destination.

"I saw the beautiful California coast." Twisty roads and scenic vistas will disappear south of Malibu. (Some would say Ventura.) Do Big Sur, get on the freeway at Morro Bay, and figure out a better route to San Diego. Saturday or Sunday mornings are great suggestions. Stage yourself north of town, get up at 6 AM, and Bob's your uncle.

"I got the full California experience." Here's a reason to stick with Highway 1. The iconic SoCal beach scene can be observed in Santa Monica, Venice, Huntington Beach, just to name a few. Park your bike, walk around a little, enjoy the local wildlife.

As a general rule, riding a 100 mile detour to avoid a traffic jam is generally not a time saver. Especially in SoCal, where even your detour is subject to traffic, this is no good. Time your ride to avoid traffic, or just split lanes through it.

I live in San Diego County and when I need to travel North I do I15 / I210 generally; there are variations on this theme.

For example if I go North I might take 15N to 91W to 71N to 57N to 210W to I5N.....

When you get to San Diego I can give you some pointers on the best rides in the county and adjacent counties...if needs be.

Thanks for the replies.

"work my way down the coast", I have to admit even I don't even know what that means. Nice roads - yes. Some scenery - yes. Not big into tourist type stuff, but I'd rather be moving then sitting in traffic. Based on everyone's suggestions, I will make sure to avoid rush hour.

Is LA rush hour: 7:00am to 9:00am & 4:00pm to 6:00pm?

I've been in traffic jams heading to Bite the Wieenie, which is 11 PM on a Saturday night. You never can tell. LA sucks. I think your most solid bet is early in the morning on a weekend. Get a room in Ventura and set the alarm clock.

By the way, San Jose isn't on the coast either. :) So I assume you're taking Highway 17 to Santa Cruz and hopping on HIghway 1 from there? Not a bad plan. Or are you starting further north, say, Alice's Restaurant? I would totally do that - Alices is at the intersection of CA35 and CA84. Go there for breakfast, then you have two options: A) 84 west to 1, then south. B) 35 south to 9 south to 1. Both are really great rides.

So LA rush hour = daylight?
Funny you say that, because the fastest I ever transited L.A. to San Diego was 3AM on a Saturday morning. :)

Even on weekdays - if I get a 0 dark thirty start from San Diego, I am past L.A. by the time the crazies wake up.

Whatever you do, avoid Friday afternoon like the plague.

A week ago I left Santa Barbara at 8:30am on a Monday morning and arrived in "downtown" San Diego at 12:30pm after a lunch stop and bio-break. I wasn't going sightseeing so I went 101 to 405 to 73 to 5. The only "mess" was from the 101/405 intersection to the 405/10 intersection.

If you want to see the "scenic" PCH South of Ventura, take 1 from Oxnard through Malibu to Santa Monica and get on the 405 at via 10 or 90. I have no idea what the traffic might be in the morning.

A few years ago I went out to my buddy's birthday party. I had the Feej shipped out to the now defunct Yamaha dealer in Marina del Rey. We were supposed to meet up for track days at Willow Springs so I decided to go over the Angeles Forrest Hwy. I left the shop at 10:30 on a Wednesday morning and came to a complete stop shortly thereafter on I-10 east. Had to basically split lanes all the way to La Canada. No accident, to road work, nothing, just traffic. And it's worse now. Lane splitting is the only way thru it. Glad I grew up there.

How much time do you have for a detour? This is way out of the way but try:

150 north out of Carpenteria to Hwy 33

Hwy 33 north to Lockwood Valley Rd thru Frazier Park (Be careful on 33, there are some decreasing radius turns that can really catch you DAMHIK)

I-5 south to Hwy 138 all the way to Hwy 18 and Victorville

Hwy 247 to Yucca Valley then down thru Palm Desert and south to S.D. by routes already suggested.

About a 400 mile loop but goes thru some stunning areas and not much traffic. Ways to shorten it would be to cut back thru Big Bear then south to Hemet.

Is there a good time to miss the traffic? I have only driven in LA traffic once, and "driven" was not the correct word. I believe "parked" would be a better description.
Read up on and consider trying safe "lane splitting" in this wonderful place.
Thank you, Ig. As a native Los Angelino (Palos Verdes Estates), I agree that Los Angeles is a "wonderful place" having many and varied treasures. It is much more than a congested freeway and does not deserve to be categorically dismissed out of hand. (When I have more time I will chime in on the question asked above....)

My 2 cents....

I have ridden into L.A. to spend the weekend and hit town at rush hour on Friday afternoon. As Puppychow says, No bueno. Lane splitting is a benefit, but traffic can be so slow and thick that it is very fatiguing. But I would agree with those above that you should just get on the 5 or 405 and cut straight through. Even if you were to swing wide, there's no guarantee that you won't run into problems out there, whether it's traffic or an accident. But all things considered, it'd be best if you could shoot for mid-day if a weekday, or a weekend.

Regarding the coast route, as Jerry said, Big Sur is nice, with some of the more spectacular bridge-cliff views. But you have to be patient. It's the go-to route, so there can be a lot of slow-moving tourists, including RVs. You can't be in a hurry or you may wind up making poor passing decisions, because there aren't all that many great passing opportunities. In any event, if you take 1, be cautious as you go south around left-hand curves where there are scenic pull-outs to your right: cars coming north around the blind curve in front of you may shoot across your path to get into the pull-outs.

Once in L.A., the South Bay (Torrance, Redondo, Hermosa, Palos Verdes) is really nice. Maybe Fairlaner can show you the way south around the Palos Verdes Peninsula to San Pedro. Beautiful country!

I like 101 between the Bay Area and L.A.: It's beautiful, mellow, and wide open. I'll be heading down 101 Friday morning to get to Santa Barbara, then Saturday down into L.A.

Let us know when you're in San Jose. Maybe we can get together for a meet and greet. Depending on timing, we could show you some of the rides we like around these parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cover your clutch and brake. You never know when a hypodermic needle might be laying in the road around the next bend. Also, crack whores have been known to dart across the road unexpectantly.