avon rear tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feejer/Weejer man

Reaction score
Went on the No. Cal ride on Saturday and put on just under 700 miles. Knew my Avon rear tire was geting a little thin. Almost to the wear bars.Went ot work today and parked it. Went over a couple hours later to get something off the bike and noticed the rear tire low, not just low nearly flat. Put it up on the center stand and spun the rear. Saw a little shiny thing sticking out. Just unloaded my tool bag with the tire plugger and air compressor at home this morning, damn. The lady where I was working had a bicycle pump. Gave it 40 lbs. and left for a little shop I do business with. He had another Avon rear in stock, squeezed me in, mounted and balanced the tire plus took it off the bike and put it back on. Took zero weight on the rear to balance. Yep saw it with my own eyes. $180 total, tax and $2 for recycling included. Not bad for an emergency. Needed the rear anyway and since he didn't have a front I'll just use the remaining tread thats left. Maybe might make it til the new rear dies. Better to be lucky than good.

How many miles did you squeeze out of that Avon?

Went back to my record of the last install, pair of Avons 9493 miles. Just shy of the wear bars, could barely make out some of them starting to peek through. could have probably got another thousand or so miles out of them if it wasn't for the nail. Not worth plugging unless I had to get home. I am very happy with the wear I got out of the rear. Front looks like it might not make it til the new rear wears out if I can get this kind of milage again. Only got about 6500 out of the original set of stones. . I change to Pilot Sports and only got about 4600 miles out of them. So it seems the Avons are bang for the buck.

Just checked SW Mototires, $133.95, the shop I used, Owner operated, charged me $137.95. Wow what a deal. he probably could have charged me a lot more in the situation i was in. i guess thats why i do business with him.