AVON Road Hazard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue

Reaction score
I got a nail in my rear tire today, How do I use the Avon road hazard warrenty?

I plugged it but I would rather not ride much on a plugged tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rogue...

You have to take the tire to a dealer for Avon tires ( perhaps to where you got the tire ). The settlement is predicated on the basis of how much wear you have on the tire. When I made my claim, I had only put perhaps 300 miles on the tire and Avon replaced the tire at no charge to me. There is a sliding scale to their formula. A well worn tire is probably not going to get much in the way of a settlement.

Rogue, I got a nail in a new Avon rear tire the first of Sept. You have to take it to a motorcyle dealer regardless of where you bought it. I bought mine from MAW. You have to take it to a dealership and they measure the tread depth then send that information to Avon. Also Avon has to ship to a dealer instead of an individual.Avon gives you 1.4mm of wear for the warranty. I talked with a great guy at Avon and he took excellent care of me. His name is Pat Dowd. I don't have the phone number for Avon USA, but if you go to the website you can get it. Call him and he will help with the procedure. I hadn't had a flat in 24 years with Dunlops, Michelins, and Metzlers. The first set of Avons I put on I get a screw after 50 miles and plug it. (This was before I found out about the warranty) The second Avon rear I get a nail at 16 miles. That's when I found out about the warranty. I've got 7,000 miles on the one I was sent to replace the last one and I just got a small piece of steel in it and it went flat. I think they magnatize the steel belts in those things. :bleh: I love the way the Avons handle and with the service I received from them, I will probably keep buying them.

GP

I got a nail in my rear Avon with only 4K on the tire. I temporarily patched it with a Stop N Go plug for 500 miles then I removed the tire and had a plug patch installed from the inside. The tire now has 8700 miles on it with no problems. I have full confidence with this type of patch.

It all depends on the tread depht of the tire.
True. My point is that with 4,000 miles on the tire, I can almost guarantee that the tire would no longer qualify for free replacement. You can get free replacement up to 1.4 mm of wear, which is about 20-25% of the total tread available. So unless he was going to get 16,000 - 20,000 miles out of that rear, he was well past the limit.