Avon Storms

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
I just wanted to mention I talked to the Avon guy at the IMS show in San Mateo friday who was at WFO5 this year in Reno as one of our fine sponsors there. I can tell just by talking to this guy,(I'm sorry his name escapes me) he is a standup person who cares for the FJR guys and girls and what we require. He is well aware of our board also. After seeing the new Storm tyre in person, I can tell you this tire has mega depth on the tread and is just aching to be on an FJR. This will be my next set of skins for sure on the 06 and I know Avon will back me up if any issues occur from our conversation. I think we need to continue the good faith support of Avon for their support of us. PM. <><

Last edited by a moderator:
I went for my first ride on a set of STORMS yesterday, and they are VERY sweet. I haven't given them the full shake down cruise, but I can say that I like them on the AE a WHOLE lot better that the OEM Metzler. It does roll over very nicely into the curves and feels very well planted. :thumbsupsmiley:

It was wet yesterday, and the STORM didn't seem to mind. Conversely, the old front Metz had lots of tread left (off center) and when it was slightly wet, it would lose traction... scared the poopey out of me when it broke free down in Hooterville couple weeks ago on a dewey curve going about the speed limit. I have to admit that the Metlzer seemed fine early on in it's life as far as wet traction goes. I'll be anxious to see if the Storm fairs better through the end of it's lifespan.

As to Pain's description of the tread depth, I have to disagree. About the front tire, anyway. The rear is a monster with gnarley grooves and very deep tread. The front has a smaller version of the same tread design, but the depth appears very shallow. Sorry, I don't have a depth gauge, this comment is just by eyeballing the tire, so it may not be any less (or more) than any other Avon or Brand X. Smitty actually commented the same thing out of the blue in a conversation last night.

I agree that Avon is there for us. They have an awesome road hazard warranty initially. And everyone I have met that works for them in the US has been great. And, oh yes, I think I'm going to love this tire. :thumbsupsmiley:

BTW, I'm running 42 psi front and 40 rear (for now) and the suspension is still all stock. I didn't notice any shake, rattle, roll, or walking with the tire. Nothing perceptible to me anyway. :thumbsupsmiley:

Which Pirelli's exactly?
Diablo Strada
Make sure to get the "E" spec (FJR specific) for the rear as opposed to the regular 180/55/ZR17
So, I take it these won't last quite as long as the traditional Avons, but they're a better handling tire?? If that's the case, I think I'll try the Strada's before the new Storms.

Which Pirelli's exactly?
Diablo Strada
Make sure to get the "E" spec (FJR specific) for the rear as opposed to the regular 180/55/ZR17
So, I take it these won't last quite as long as the traditional Avons, but they're a better handling tire?? If that's the case, I think I'll try the Strada's before the new Storms.
Mogan, which "these" you talking about? The Strada/Strada E (rear) is a great tire. And my understanding is that the Storms are replacing the Avon Azaro, so the tradition has changed. My comment about the front was very subjective, and I'm sure the Storm will last as long as the Azaro. And of course how long any of these last is also very subjective.

I didn't run in my Storms today. Decided to take advantage of 59 degrees and mulched leaves instead. Woohoo. :glare:

FJRocket, thanks for that heads up observation on the front tire of the Storms. I didn't see that tire at the show, just the rear. And the intial warranty mentioned Avon said if any issues pop up to have said seller just give them a call and it would be handled directly. And thanks TC for doing the group buy but I still have to wear out the Metzlers first. Probablly spring time or so Lord willing...PM. <>< :)

I went for my first ride on a set of STORMS yesterday, and they are VERY sweet. I haven't given them the full shake down cruise, but I can say that I like them on the AE a WHOLE lot better that the OEM Metzler.
Gorg's stone wheel is better than the Metzelers. ;)

I got to do some romping in the twisties today. Yum! This tire is luscious! Makes a bumbling fool-of-a-rider like me look good! I really like these tires, so here's hoping for decent mileage! I'd say, best yet for all-around riding ability.

Which Pirelli's exactly?
Diablo Strada
Mogan, which "these" you talking about? The Strada/Strada E (rear) is a great tire. And my understanding is that the Storms are replacing the Avon Azaro, so the tradition has changed. My comment about the front was very subjective, and I'm sure the Storm will last as long as the Azaro. And of course how long any of these last is also very subjective.

I didn't run in my Storms today. Decided to take advantage of 59 degrees and mulched leaves instead. Woohoo. :glare:
I was referring to the Stradas. Anxious to hear your thoughts on the Storms v. Stradas...

I was referring to the Stradas. Anxious to hear your thoughts on the Storms v. Stradas...
I like the Pirellis. Wouldn't hesitate to buy them in a heartbeat. They are easier to balance than the Avons, since the are actually marked. And they grip and wear quite nicely. Good grip in the wet, too. Very nice tire. Going to be tough to beat.

I have another set of Diablo Strada/Es and a set of Azaros sitting waiting in my garage. I think I'll be happy with any of the lot. But once I get through the Storms AND the rest, we'll see which brand I actually buy. Wouldn't be surprised if I stick with the Storms. Time will tell. I think I have enough tires to get through the 2007 season. Maybe.

I like the Pirellis. Wouldn't hesitate to buy them in a heartbeat. They are easier to balance than the Avons, since the are actually marked. And they grip and wear quite nicely. Good grip in the wet, too. Very nice tire. Going to be tough to beat.

I have another set of Diablo Strada/Es and a set of Azaros sitting waiting in my garage. I think I'll be happy with any of the lot. But once I get through the Storms AND the rest, we'll see which brand I actually buy. Wouldn't be surprised if I stick with the Storms. Time will tell. I think I have enough tires to get through the 2007 season. Maybe.
You're not making it easy to choose. Heck, you sound like a consultant!

I have the Storms on now. I went and tried one of favorite twisties yesterday. I have only been on the Bridgestones, Michellins and Avons. I think the Storms are the best tyre I've been on yet. It has all of the good attributes of the Azaro, but better in many ways too. They are my favorite motorcycle tyre of ALL time.