awesome in ear speakers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbwrench

Reaction score
Hi guys, after reading in the ear fuze topic, I thought I would let you know what I like without hijacking that thread.

Check out bigearinc.com the ones I like are the BE1C. they are flat on the outside and fit well under a helmet. They have about 30db noise att. and sound great.

The other earspeakers I have been using are Westone UM2's but they stick out enough from my ears to touch the helmet and they transmit noise. I had the UM2's from my previous professional musician stint and kept them to use on the bike. The um2's also are held in with a foam like earplug and are prone to move and then you lose optimum sound. The Big Ear BE1C's use a custom earmold and are extremely comfortable and stay in place.

best wishes, TBWRENCH.

I'm sure they are good, but for the $300 I'll have to take one of the kids out of college.

Hmmm, which one will it be? Which one will...

I'm sure they work great but no providers within 500 miles. :huh:

I wait patiently for the day when somebody makes these in-ear speaker/earplug combos that are bluetooth enabled. That will be sweet.

You have to go 500 miles to check out the International Motorcycle Show? Bummer.

I was going by the list of providers on the website bigearinc.com that TBWRENCH suggested.

Actually their are no International Motorcycle Shows near either. (250 miles)

Do they sell the ear speakers there?

You have to go 500 miles to check out the International Motorcycle Show? Bummer.

I was going by the list of providers on the website bigearinc.com that TBWRENCH suggested.

Actually their are no International Motorcycle Shows near either. (250 miles)

Do they sell the ear speakers there?
Most of the big rallys have a setup to take free impressions or your ears, they will then keep them for around 1-1.5 years. You can't get the speakers at the rally or any show as they are all made individually at the factory. It takes a week or two.

The best way to get them is direct, you supply the ear molds/impressions from your local ear doctor or hearing aid professional. Remember at rallys or shows they will take the impressions free. The ear/hearing pros. will probably charge a small fee for them. See the Big Ear site for impression info as you need your mouth open the thickness of a pencil or slightly more for a good fit.

Last thought, $300.00 is alot of money, but it will be the best money you spent on your ears in my opinion.

Hmm...coming to the Seattle motorcycle show this weekend. I may have to get a pair. I injured my ear with a pair of in ear buds which jabbed a bit too deep when I went to take my helmet off. Had an ear ache for almost a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have them also and like them, they stay in place no matter how many times you take your helmet on and off.

Has anyone tried to put on a pair of Oakley Thump glasses under their helmet? I've never even touched a pair, so I don't know if its even possible, but if you could get them on...Hmmmmmmm.

BTW...I ride with a pair of Koss in-ear speakers that keep out about as much noise as I'm willing to lose and have great sound. Haven't had a problem getting them under my helmet yet, but I am careful when I put it on...

I wait patiently for the day when somebody makes these in-ear speaker/earplug combos that are bluetooth enabled. That will be sweet.
I can actually see this as a feasible option is they actually put the R&D into it.

Each earbud powered by a rechargeable watch battery, And paired to your favorite audio source.

yep, I am waiting patiently also... :)

I can actually see this as a feasible option is they actually put the R&D into it.

Each earbud powered by a rechargeable watch battery, And paired to your favorite audio source.

yep, I am waiting patiently also... :)
You mean, like this???

Sony's DR-BT10CX portable headphones and in-line Bluetooth receiver let you enjoy the convenience of wireless audio on the go. You can listen to music from your Bluetooth-enabled cell phone or portable music player through the provided receiver. Its built-in rechargeable battery gives you up to 11 hours of continuous operation.

You can also answer incoming calls from your cell phone through the headphones, using the Bluetooth receiver's built-in microphone to carry on the conversation while keeping your hands free. Or connect wirelessly to compatible Bluetooth-enabled car stereos, for listening while you're parked or while riding as a passenger (headphone use while driving prohibited in many areas).

Read More

Compact neodymium drivers in the headphones deliver clear sound with full bass. The headphones come with three different sizes of earbud sleeves, to ensure a good fit in your ears and a proper seal to block outside noise. These soft, flexible sleeves keep the earbuds securely in place, even when you're active.

Details:

* Bluetooth headphones for use with Bluetooth cell phones and portable music players

* Bluetooth 2.0 certified

* in-ear headphones

o neodymium drivers

o frequency response: 20-20,000Hz

o includes 3 sets of interchangeable earbud sleeves for a comfortable fit

* Bluetooth transmitter/receiver

o built-in microphone for hands-free conversation on your cell phone

o play, pause and volume control

o up to 11 hours of operation with built-in lithium-ion rechargeable batteries

o range: up to 33 feet

o built-in clothing clip

* charging cradle

* AC adapter

* weight: 1 oz.

* warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor

* Want more peace of mind? Extended Service Plans Available

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a pair of BigEars last year at the show in NYC and I just can't wear them. They fit perfectly but I can't comfortably get my helmet on with them inserted so now they hang in their little hard pouch waiting for the day that I buy a new helmet. :glare: Unfortunately there is no way of knowing that this will be a problem prior to buying them. Anybody else have the same issue?

The $300 for each of us and taking a chance on then working in some fashion with the Cardio Scala is just too risky.

I've got the Bluetooth Cardio Scala rider team set and although we like 90% of it, the speakers just will not stay in place inside the Scorpion helmets, even with industrial extra tacky tape. Although the speakers are 'hard' wired to the Scala unit, I'm looking into substituting them with an inexpensive earplug style for experimentation. I've already bought a set of in-ear-canal types from Costco for about $40 to experiment. My concern is matching the impedance and making a reliable connection. I wonder if anyone else has explored this approach in lieu of the expensive alternatives?

That being said, for the driver is it a good idea to seal out all road noise or does the BE1C allow some noise through?

Personally, I've found some JVC HA FX300 in ear headphones to work best for me. Comfortable, good sound, allows outside sounds to come in somewhat (I can hear sirens, horns, etc.) but still cancel out most wind roar. Since they are an in ear design, they tuck inside the ear opening and allow my helmet to slip easily on without dislodging them. I use the memory foam plug covers on mine and I would only make one suggestion. I put a single drop of superglue on the backside of the foam ear piece and secure it to the ear bud body. This prevents the foam ear piece from detaching itself from the earbud and getting wedged in your ear canal for the entire weekend without you realising it. DAMHIK! (Yeah they're that comfortable.)