Awfully similar Russell vs Mayer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring or no spring? leather vs vinyl

• Russell leather

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Russell vinyl

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Mayer leather

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Mayer vinyl

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Eric L

Not that kind of a doctor
Reaction score
Russell is a bit more money. Original design with spring. Mayer is 'newer designs with multidensity foam' Leather or vinyl? I don't really have a problem with vinyl. Did you guys spring for leather?

Either seat seems to have the uh... wider support I need versus the stock seat. It may come down to turn-around time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The seat sniffers get leather. Your butt, in riding gear, won't know the difference. Less maintenance, less cost, what's to think about?

If you're a heavyweight, (over 220?), don't bother with the Mayer, just go with the Russell. Mayer can't legally use the spring design, or they would for bigger riders, IMHO. Foam breaks down over time. The spring helps more as the seat gets older, I suspect. I've got over 120k on my Russell and it's still as comfortable as the day I put it on.

There are multiple "Mayer"s.

The old man, Bill Mayer, was the inventor of the Day Long saddle design, and he sold the patent rights to Russell.

The two boys still make custom saddles, but not as supportive as the original.

Bill Jr (Rocky) continues under the Bill Mayer name.

And his brother Rick makes his a little bit different at Rick Mayer

Most will agree that of the two, Rocky makes a better seat.

I've owned a Rick Mayer seat (along with a bunch of non-custom seats) and there is no comparison in comfort. I like my leather Day Long seat so much that I got a vinyl one made for my V-strom too. I only went with vinyl on the Manstrom because I expect to get it wet often. I actually like the comfort of the leather seat a lot more. There is a difference in how it conforms to your butt over time..

PS - price them out closely and there isn't all that much difference.

Talked about many, Many, MANY times before including MANY things that won't be said in this thread. Also easily findable with terms like +mayer +russell including my comparo here.

If I can figure out how to lock the thread I'll do that.

Geez, deleting or locking this seems harder to do that I would have imagined. <_<

Even shaking my computer violently from side to side has little affect. :huh:

I guess I'll try pulling the plu............

No that didn't work either. :banghead:

Russell is a bit more money. Original design with spring. Mayer is 'newer designs with multidensity foam' Leather or vinyl? I don't really have a problem with vinyl. Did you guys spring for leather?

Either seat seems to have the uh... wider support I need versus the stock seat. It may come down to turn-around time.
Just received a Bill Mayer leather seat and took it out for a ride this weekend. No complaints, but it was a short ride. It looks good and feels comfortable. I'll report again after I get a good, long ride in. Leather vs. Vinyl? I just like leather even if I don't sniff the seat! Maybe my ass is more discriminating than most :)

Ah so, I stand disciplined and humbled. If I can figure out how to lock the thread I'll do that.
Why would be disciplined or humbled? You've been around long enough to know that there's a treasure trove of information in this place if you take just a bit to look for it. Looks like seats have been talked about a half dozen times this month alone.

And you can't close or delete a thread. Let me know if you'd like to have it closed (as I see two threads pretty close to the same subject anyway) I can certainly oblige.

I just like leather even if I don't sniff the seat! Maybe my ass is more discriminating than most :)
Stop riding naked! Ewww. :bad: :lol:

edit: Fred does have a point about the leather conforming to your butt over time. I don't really care for that effect, but some do. I just like the seat to stay the same.

I went with Bill Rocky Mayer because he was close and I could do a ride in. I just completed a SS1000 on my BMS seat with out issue. I am 250 pounds and have no problem on my seat even though OCfjr says I should. I got leather because I liked the way it looked and felt. Mine has sat outside in the pouring rain without any problem. I just keep it treated with leather conditioner. Its not a lot of trouble. Good luck with whatever you choose.

If I can figure out how to lock the thread I'll do that.

Geez, deleting or locking this seems harder to do that I would have imagined. <_<

Even shaking my computer violently from side to side has little affect. :huh:

I guess I'll try pulling the plu............

No that didn't work either. :banghead:
Great post. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Group think made me decide. ;)

I am 250 pounds and have no problem on my seat even though OCfjr says I should.
Not now, but I suggest you may much later. How many years or miles down the road, I don't know. Just saying the original design lasts is all. Oh, and doood, you've lost weight! Congrats! :good:

i got my first one years ago when old man Mayer was still alive. he'd sold his original design and, after a few years of non-compete, had started back up with a new business. he flat out stated that the original (Russell) design was "better" and that foam-alone could get close but wasn't the same. that was good enough for me. now there are 2 Mayers (brothers) and one has a rep that's not what i'd be comfortable doing business with. since i don't keep up with the details i couldn't tell you which to go with Rocky or Rick Mayer brother.

i've stuck with Russell (velour the first timem, leather the next)

Another satisfied Russell Leather owner (who hasn't sniffed the seat since it came out of the box).

I will tell you, a recently conditioned leather seat is easy to move around on.

Rick or Bill Meyer?

Redding35001.jpg

now there are 2 Mayers (brothers) and one has a rep that's not what i'd be comfortable doing business with. since i don't keep up with the details i couldn't tell you which to go with Rocky or Rick Mayer brother.

i've stuck with Russell.
I've had two Rick Mayer saddles and three Russells. Rick Mayer is a great guy and a critical care nurse, so his grasp of anatomy and physiology is way ahead of any other seat builder that I'm aware of. Rick's saddles are also a good bit closer to a 'stock' appearance than a Russell, if that's important to you. Both of my Rick Mayer seats were built during "ride-in" appointments and Rick did all of the work, from shaping the foam to sewing and installing the cover.

Despite living just a few hours from their facility, two of my Russell saddles were done entirely mail order - I shipped them the pan, filled out their order form/questionnaire, provided the pictures requested and got the seat back from UPS. They were both outstanding seats - never had a moment's discomfort on either one and I rode multiple 1,000 mile days on each. I have had one seat built on a "ride-in" appointment at Russell and it is not quite as good as the others, but still very, very good.

My experience has been that the Russells are slightly more comfortable than the Rick Mayer products, probably because of the wider design and the use of the spring. I see no reason to do the "ride-in" process at Russell, because they do such a good job at building a comfortable seat without having you and your butt present for construction and fitting,

Leather is nice and rides a little cooler than vinyl, but I opted for vinyl in the 'large rectangle' design for my most recent Russell and it's just fine, probably because there are some seams to provide some cooling airflow. The vinyl seat in the 'half-moon' design is a little warm in hot weather - it has very few seams and is very weatherproof (which was the idea), but it's a little warm. I'll probably get a leather seating surface with the large rectangle design when I have a saddle made for the FJR (which will be the next group buy opportunity).

Pete Bansen

Truckee, California

Just to throw something different into the mix, Cee Baileys does seats now, and is developing a pretty good rep. My Honey has one on her 650 GS and loves it. LINKY Said to be slightly cheaper and faster turn around than the others at the moment.