Axio Update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windchaser1942

Reaction score
I have been researching this all day and found some old (2006) posts on this subject but really no answers.

Today I was about to order the Axio Hardpack Tankbag from NewEnough when Nate who owns the place gave

me a word of caution as to how well this bag will work on the FJR. So far I have only found posts of people selling

used ones on this forum and only one post saying it worked ok but he quit using it after 3 months. Anyone who

has one of these I would appreciate your feedback. The word of caution had to do with the bags width during lock

to lock turns. Here is a link to the product:

https://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/tank_ba...e_tank_bag.html

Thanks for your input in advance!

I have been researching this all day and found some old (2006) posts on this subject but really no answers.Today I was about to order the Axio Hardpack Tankbag from NewEnough when Nate who owns the place gave

me a word of caution as to how well this bag will work on the FJR. So far I have only found posts of people selling

used ones on this forum and only one post saying it worked ok but he quit using it after 3 months. Anyone who

has one of these I would appreciate your feedback. The word of caution had to do with the bags width during lock

I bought one recently since it matched my Axio hardpack and was magnetic. I put it on my tank to make sure it would fit and it appeared to but I have not ridden with it. I plan to use it to go to EOM so I hope that it does not interfere with the steering! :eek:mg2: The magnets are small but fairly strong but I would not trust them without using the strap around the stem. The straps to go under the tank to not seem useable (or easy to use?) with the FJR. Maybe I should check it out before I am on the road.

Thank you for your reply. I am surprised as to how little the response has been to my question. This is even the case on the other forums...either it is a bad deal, which I don't think is the case, or there is little interest.

Anyway, when you place the bag on the tank and turn your handle bars lock to lock do they make contact with the bag in a major way? Would it be a hinderance while riding slowly? That is my only concern. I have had two other tank bags over the past three years but they age quickly. This bag is attactive to me by its appearance and the fact it could be set up electrically to hold my gps,and satilite radio. Thanks for you reply. Enjoy the EOM. The rides they have outlined are gonna be terrific I know them very well as I don't live very far from the area. I would also like to attend the meeting but I had already made a committment for that weekend.[

I can't answer about the Axio, but my Nelson-Riggs CL-300 interferes with the bars at low speeds. I would imagine (but don't know for sure) that the problem would be worse with a hard bag, that the bar couldn't squeeze as it contacts it, assuming it interfered at all. With my bag, I have to keep my thumb on the kill switch to keep the bag from tripping it on hard right. OTOH I have risers that move tha bars back a bit, too.

There may just not be that many Axio bags in use on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're out there - there's a number of threads that say "Oh, I bought it - I'll follow up with pics shortly" and then just stop. The only conclusion I can draw is that the Axio bags interfere with the steering enough that they've killed everyone who's ever tried putting them on an FJR before they could get to their camera.

...which is a shame, really, because I'm interested in the Axio hard tank and tail bags as well and would love to see some pictures of how well they fit against the tank/seat and what they might look like attached to one of Premiere's Sport Touring racks before I buy one.

They're out there - there's a number of threads that say "Oh, I bought it - I'll follow up with pics shortly" and then just stop. The only conclusion I can draw is that the Axio bags interfere with the steering enough that they've killed everyone who's ever tried putting them on an FJR before they could get to their camera.

...which is a shame, really, because I'm interested in the Axio hard tank and tail bags as well and would love to see some pictures of how well they fit against the tank/seat and what they might look like attached to one of Premiere's Sport Touring racks before I buy one.
I put my Axio on and, with it as far back as possible, full lock does touch it but I suspect most tankbags would. Tomorrow I hope to take it out and do some U-turns to see if there is a problem. If I get really ambitious, I will take some pictures. It is much smaller than my old tankbag so I may pull out my old one (which has never been on my FJR) to see how it would work.

I have been researching this all day and found some old (2006) posts on this subject but really no answers.Today I was about to order the Axio Hardpack Tankbag from NewEnough when Nate who owns the place gave

Here are the pictures I promised:

Tankbag attached high on the tank:

DSC01860Small.jpg

High on the tank, the bag interferes with full lock as shown in the following two pictures:

DSC01861Small.jpg

DSC01862Small.jpg

The following picture shows the tankbag as low on the tank as it can reasonably go:

DSC01863Small.jpg

In this position, full lock just contacts the handlebars:

DSC01866Small.jpg

DSC01867Small.jpg

With the large tank and the way the handlebars are swept back (mine are at the stock position), it seems that this will be a problem with all but the tiniest tankbag. Are there any good sized tankbags out there that do not contact the bars at full lock?

Here are the pictures I promised:

Tankbag attached high on the tank:

DSC01860Small.jpg

High on the tank, the bag interferes with full lock as shown in the following two pictures:

DSC01861Small.jpg

DSC01862Small.jpg

The following picture shows the tankbag as low on the tank as it can reasonably go:

DSC01863Small.jpg

In this position, full lock just contacts the handlebars:

DSC01866Small.jpg

DSC01867Small.jpg

With the large tank and the way the handlebars are swept back (mine are at the stock position), it seems that this will be a problem with all but the tiniest tankbag. Are there any good sized tankbags out there that do not contact the bars at full lock?
Hey guy...thanks for the pics...you have done me a real service I have a Rapid Transit bag on my bike. It is much smaller but it also

touches the bars on full lock. I still like the appearance of the Axio bag and just may go ahead a get it. Would you buy it again?

Hey guy...thanks for the pics...you have done me a real service I have a Rapid Transit bag on my bike. It is much smaller but it alsotouches the bars on full lock. I still like the appearance of the Axio bag and just may go ahead a get it. Would you buy it again?
Well, I like the look and it matches my Axio hardpack (the old version which is still available from kneedraggers and has an optional sleeve for my laptop). I can't answer your question fully until I go out and ride with the tankbag. The weather will not be good until Wednesday and I will take it out then.

Hey guy...thanks for the pics...you have done me a real service I have a Rapid Transit bag on my bike. It is much smaller but it alsotouches the bars on full lock. I still like the appearance of the Axio bag and just may go ahead a get it. Would you buy it again?
I finally took it out and I would still buy it again for the following reason: I really like the look and it matches my old style Axio hard backpack. It also seems to be as big as it could be and still useable on the FJR.

Please note that the map pouch is so small that a typical folded up map would be very hard to get into it due to the thickness. It really could only take a map which is 2-3 pages thick. I will probably cut up a map to put pieces of my route into the tankbag; or, better, use the GPS which I just ordered (Garmin Chartplotter 478).

My riding impression was that I really did not notice it there except in two different maneuvers. When I get it out of the garage and push my bike forward which is up hill, I really have to push my belly up against the tank bag in the low position which I had in my pictures. This would be solved if I put it in gear and used the engine power to move it forward. The other maneuver as you may suspect was the two left hand U-turns I made. I probably do not do the tightest U-turn but on one of them my left wrist touched the tank bag. For me, I am now confident that the bag will not interfere with my normal riding including U-turns.

Finally, my friend did not think it looked gay. He thinks my Yamaha trunk looks gay.