AZ: US 93 Kingman to Wickenburg

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slab Pig

Reaction score
Two reports. The report from last year (bottom) is a night report. Thought someone might appreciate it.

Ride: 11-Apr-2010 PM Afternoon to Evening

Gas Available: Wikieup. Bagdad is 20 miles off the track, but there's an attendantless station there if you really blow it.

Construction: None.

Direction: South

Posted Speed: 65

Flora: Low desert

Fauna Encounters: 0

Road Condition: I-40 is a little worn out between Kingman and the US 93 junction. After turning onto US 93, the first quarter of the way is very good, the second quarter good, third quarter very good and last quarter good. First quarter is straight with intermittent sweepers. Middle two quarters are packed with well marked sweepers. Last quarter is straight. Passing lanes on the longer uphill pulls for the patient. Passing stripes abound between the sweepers for those who are not.

Smokeys Seen: 0. Not this time, but I have seen smokey deployed here in the past, at the edge of town after the reduced speed signs.

Cars Passing Same Direction: Many ( Returing from LV in a hurry. )

Cars Passed Same Direction: A few ( My clock showed ~72 most of the way. )

Cars Passed Opposite Direction: Intermittent trickles

Ride: July-2009, Friday, Late PM to Early AM

Gas Available: Wikieup. Bagdad is 20 miles off the track, but there's an attendantless station there if you really blow it.

Posted Speed: 65

Flora: Low desert

Road Condition: I won't comment on I-40 except that it seemed to be fine between Kingman and the US 93 junction. ( Postscript: I was riding an RS Venture in 2009. I suppose that's why I thought it was fine last year, but a little worn out in 2010.)

After turning onto US 93, the first quarter of the way is very good, the second quarter good, third quarter very good and last quarter good. First quarter is straight with intermittent sweepers. Middle two quarters are packed with well marked sweepers. Last quarter is straight.

Center reflectors go for the distance. Raised reflectors on both sides of the road in the corners. Reflector gaps are rare. Reflector condition is easily seen to very bright. This is an awesome road to take at night due to these excellent markers.

Passing lanes on the longer uphill pulls for the patient. Passing stripes abound between the sweepers for those who are not and who have the muscle. (Postscript: Again, last year I was on an RS Venture and a member of VentureRiders.org. Lot's of members on that site ride V-Twins. So, my comment about having "muscle" applies to those unfortunate souls. Members of this site need no such qualification, as you all have the requisite muscle to do whatever you like whenever it strikes your fancy.)

Smokeys Seen: 1, in Wikieup. Sherrif, lights on, busted a cager in the reduced speed zone (The bustee was someone who was tailing me by 100 yards or so; shining his lights in my mirrors for 10 miles, so I slowed down going up a hill to allow him to pass. Hee hee hee.)

Cars Passing Same Direction: few

Cars Passed Same Direction: about a dozen with half being semi's

Cars Passed Opposite Direction: low drip with intermittent low trickles

I was planning on an overnight in Overton, but the town was such a rat hole (present residents excepted, of course), that I decided to have a couple of beers, get a couple of hours sleep and bust out.

What turned out was a very nice ride on an awesome night road to get some much needed night riding experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ride: 16-May-2010 PM Noonish

Construction: None.

Smokeys Seen: 2

1) Milepost 188. Well hidden.

2) Near Rincon Road which is between town and Vulture Mine Road.

Cars Passing Same Direction: a few

Cars Passed Same Direction: 2 dozen maybe (?) ( my clock indicated 80 - 85 most of the way back)

Cars Passed Opposite Direction: Intermittent trickles