Backoff WigWag install problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevGuy

Reaction score
I've installed a Backoff WigWag brake light modulator but am having a problem getting it to work properly. Currently, only the left side blinks on and off while the right side does nothing. Both taillights are working and if I disconnect the Backoff device, both taillights and brake lights work normally.

I followed the instructions, or so I thought and have created an image of the wiring diagram I used but haven't a place to upload the image to at this time.

The wiring diagram is as follows:

From the WigWag,

the orange wire is unused

the black wire goes to ground

the red/white stripe wire goes to the yellow wire at the right brake light

the white/red stripe wire goes to the yellow wire at the left brake light

the red wire is connected to both of the yellow wires at the brake light

I cut both yellow wires near the brake lights and installed connectors. The connector from the brake light side went to the appropriate red/white striped wires from the WigWag while the other connection went to the red wire from the WigWag.

When I hook up a multimeter between the connections, both the left and right side appear the same (starts above 2 volts and jumps to 11+ when the brake is engaged).

Anyone have any ideas?

Lost in the dark,

Darcy

If you are certain that all wiring is correct, check the module and make sure it is working. Disconnect the red/white and white/red from the lights and check each side with the multimeter, make sure that you are getting the pulsed output from the modulator. If you are, double and triple check your wiring and your grounds. It's gotta be something simple that you are just overlooking.

Disconnect the red/white and white/red from the lights and check each side with the multimeter, make sure that you are getting the pulsed output from the modulator.
Good idea. I must have checked that incorrectly however as I did check the voltage but didn't see any pulsing even on the side that actually works. I'll check again though as I may have incorrectly wired the meter...

...double and triple check your wiring and your grounds. It's gotta be something simple that you are just overlooking.
Yeah I agree...after I check for the pulsation and the connections, if it still doesn't work I'll contact the manufacturer to see if they can tell me how to check for defects as well.

Thanks

...double and triple check your wiring and your grounds. It's gotta be something simple that you are just overlooking.
Ummmm...yeah...so I did a full re-check of all the wiring and found that it was installed correctly but when I hooked up the ground wire I managed to pinch one of the other ones. Doh! A bit of cleanup to take care of this problem and "eureka"! Problem solved.

Thats for the reminder to look for the simple things :eh:

Darcy