Backrest / luggage rack ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddysbike

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm close to ordering my '07 from the great folks at D&H. I'm going to need a passenger backrest for the 1-2 days/yr my wife rides with me. I had a Givi V46 on my '04 ST1300 and don't want to go that route (wife didn't think it was comfortable and I didn't like the ugly hardware that remained for the 99.9% of the time it wasn't used) I'm thinking a Sargent likely, maybe Corbin with passenger backrest. My ? is does the backrest on both easily go on/come off? also with it in place would I have room for a Cortech sport tail bag or similar to put on luggage rack for added cargo with wife?

For what its worth there is a '07 FJR at the shop near me sold to a rider that had the Givi installed and it looks nice. But with it I don't like all the hardware that would remain when not in use.

Thanks,

Steve

OHFJR sells a nice backrest/rack combo here.

Hmmmm, nice option. Do you think that luggage rack/backrest would work if I added a Corbin/Sargent/Russell daylong rider only seat and left the stock passenger? or even the rider and passenger Corbine/Sargent/Russell?

I always have to add a Sargent (maybe Corbin but hard) to every bike and was suprised at how comfortable the stock FJR seat felt so maybe I'll get lucky. I only sat on the bike in the dealer for 20 minutes but it does feel better than most stockers. I am expecting to have to replace seat though so want to find a good seat/passenger backrest/luggage rack combo.

Thanks,

Steve

OHFJR sells a nice backrest/rack combo here.

Hmmmm, nice option. Do you think that luggage rack/backrest would work if I added a Corbin/Sargent/Russell daylong rider only seat and left the stock passenger? or even the rider and passenger Corbine/Sargent/Russell?

I always have to add a Sargent (maybe Corbin but hard) to every bike and was suprised at how comfortable the stock FJR seat felt so maybe I'll get lucky. I only sat on the bike in the dealer for 20 minutes but it does feel better than most stockers. I am expecting to have to replace seat though so want to find a good seat/passenger backrest/luggage rack combo.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve

Our racks and/or backrest will work with any aftermarket seat you mentioned above. All of our racks are in stock and ready to ship. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Duane

I just got the Yamaha trunk when I ordered the bike, and, the wife has never had a complaint. I did get her a peg lowering kit, which addressed her only complaint(she's 5'10"). She's with me 70-75% of the time I'm FJR mounted.

Just giving you my perspective...

What's nice about OHFJR's rack is that you can adjust GIVI truck position about an inch, which my wife likes.

Some have complained that STOCK trunk MOUNTS push pillion too far forward.

And ugly GIVI mount can be removed from rack from 4 mounting bolts in 10 minutes

GIVI holds a little more that Yammi truck, but doesn't look anywhere near as good.

Also think Yammi backrest offers better cushion.

Wife wears jacket, so has not had a problem with no padding on GIVI

Steve, here's a pic of my 05 with a Sargent seat and backrest. This would work with Garauld's rack. The backrest can be removed with a firm tug and the bike then looks stock. My wife loves the seat and backrest. When riding single, the backrest is off as I prefer the look, when the better half is with me it's a 5 second attachment.

john

2006219.jpg

Steve, here's a pic of my 05 with a Sargent seat and backrest. This would work with Garauld's rack. The backrest can be removed with a firm tug and the bike then looks stock. My wife loves the seat and backrest. When riding single, the backrest is off as I prefer the look, when the better half is with me it's a 5 second attachment.

john

That is really nice, looks great, last I checked Sargean did not have the design ready for 06/07 bikes though.....

I have Garaulds rack w/ removeable backrest, exactly what I wanted, she likes it too. Fit my 06 perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, here's a pic of my 05 with a Sargent seat and backrest. This would work with Garauld's rack. The backrest can be removed with a firm tug and the bike then looks stock. My wife loves the seat and backrest. When riding single, the backrest is off as I prefer the look, when the better half is with me it's a 5 second attachment.john

Nice, I really think I'll be putting a Sargent on when they come out. Which material is that? The one I always go with is kind of slippery but o.k. I may go with the griptex I think with silver welt. Is that the stock luggage rack with the Sargent? I'd like to carry a 20+ liter size bag on back, that may require a larger rack, maybe one of the others that can be switched out quickly?

Thanks, keep 'em coming

Steve

The seat material is the Carbon Fibre X, the Griptex is actually slipperier. Seat and backrest is an awesome combination. The rack is standard but I believe Garauld makes two or maybe more versions. I know one clamps onto the standard rack.

The reason for my choice was I prefer a 5 second connect/disconnect for the backrest, no screws or brackets showing yet it very secure. Best of all it doesn't look like an addon. I tried Corbin but I decided to switch and I'm glad I did. Check out Sargent's website for attachment, unlike Corbin, it's not the seat that holds the backrest but a solid mount below the seat attached to the frame.

https://www.sargentcycle.com/yamwsfjr.htm

john

Steve,

I bought the Sargent seat w/backrest for my 05. Used backrest for a short while til I picked up a Givi V46. They won't both fit at the same time. Now when we take long trips, like to EOM, I pack the backrest in the Givi. It lays down nearly flat and doesn't take much room. Then when we head out for day trips, I can leave ALL the bags in the room and pop on the backrest.

I think OHFJR's topcase rack will work with the Sargent backrest. His rack looks good enough for full time duty even without the Givi attached. If I read correctly, you buy his rack and you don't need the ugly Givi mount.

Personally, I think the Givi looks pretty good on the FJR, especially with the color matched top.

I just got my Givi mounting rack back from Garauld, who powder coated it a nice satin black. It looks awesome!

OHFJR's topcase rack