Bag locks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron

Reaction score
My new 06 did not come with locks on the bags. I thought the locks would come with the bike. The dealer says it is a option and would be glad to sell them. Did anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your dealer is a fool or a crook, ALL FJR's come with 3 locks!

2 locks for the saddle bags and 1 for the trunk.

Your dealer lost them or is trying to sell you what is yours.

Did you look under the seat?

My new 06 did not come with locks on the bags. I thought the locks would come with the bike. Them dealer says it is a option and would be glad to sell them. Did anyone else have this problem?

Ron, First, tell your dealer he's full of crap. They are included with the bike. He's obviously trying to jerk you around, and should be drawn and quartered for this. The locks are what keep the bags closed !!

Mine were in a bag under the seat - there are three locks - two for the bags, and one for the optional top case.

Now - can you tell us who the dealer is? I think that other's on this forum may have had similar experiences, and may want to share?

My new 06 did not come with locks on the bags. I thought the locks would come with the bike. Them dealer says it is a option and would be glad to sell them. Did anyone else have this problem?

Dealer is an idiot. If you got bags, you got locks. Otherwise, the bags will fall off your bike. Have your dealer check under the seat. There should be three locks - one for each bag and one for an optional trunk. They should be keyed to match your ignition lock.

Some dealers do not prep & uncrate the bikes. Ask the dealer if they did the uncrating and prep work, or if they farmed it out. If they farmed it out, find out who did it, get a contact number and call them directly to find out where your three locks are. At this point, you may need a key code or VIN to identify your locks from others so the key matches.

Regardless, they owe you three locks and you need to bitch until you get them, at no cost to you, and keyed to match the ignition.

Right click on my Avatar, then select "print picture". Clip it out and give it to your dealer.

Evidently, my dealer never looked under the seat and thought the locks were missing. He ordered new locks from Yamaha and installed them. So, I got 2 sets of keys on delivery. Then, when looking for the tool kit, I find the real locks under the seat next to the tool kit.

Just remember...

These are the same Yahoo's that will want you to bring the bike back to them for service to keep it under warranty :blink: :glare:

Uhuh, yeah :rolleyes:

Your dealer is a thief - did he REALLY try to claim the bike comes with unlocked bags that don't secure to the bike? Can you get him to write you up a quote for the locks you need? That way you can formally complain about him to Yamaha Corporate. You should have 2 locks for the side cases and one for the top box if you decide to get one.

You US-based? If not, then you should also make certain you got THREE keys with the bike - one of which is coded red to program the immobiliser.

If they couldn't find the 3 locks under the seat, maybe they also managed to lose (or hide) the programming key - if they did, they'll be buying you a $1000 module for your bike to go along with the new red key they'll have to provide.

Dealers - if I wanted someone to NOT read the instructions, I'd have asked my wife to assemble the machine.

...and run a bungee cord or something around those bags until the locks do come in, or you'll be buggin' the idiot dealer for a new bag, too!!

Pepperell

(Evidently your dealer's never sold an FJR before, either!)

Thanks for all the information. The locks were under my seat and the dealer got a ear full. They will be installing my locks in two days. Thanks again.

Tell them not to forget to locktight the little lockscrews or you'll be missing your locks - again. :glare:

Ron, I can't stress this enough. If you don't follow this advice, you could lose the contents of your bags, and the bags themselves, at speed. It's happened.

You need to check the screws after the dealer has installed the locks. The instructions specify to lock-tite the screws on the lock, else they back out and let the bag fly. You'll need a securty torx bit to do it with, available at sears or most auto parts stores. The hour you spend picking up the tool and threadlock could save you several hundred dollars. This dealer has already proven they don't read the instructions.

Ron, I can't stress this enough. If you don't follow this advice, you could lose the contents of your bags, and the bags themselves, at speed. It's happened.
You need to check the screws after the dealer has installed the locks. The instructions specify to lock-tite the screws on the lock, else they back out and let the bag fly. You'll need a securty torx bit to do it with, available at sears or most auto parts stores. The hour you spend picking up the tool and threadlock could save you several hundred dollars. This dealer has already proven they don't read the instructions.
+1

Your dealer is a stealer. That is like saying, your fjr didn't come with an ignition, but the stealer is willing to sell you one.

Mike

Thanks for all the information. The locks were under my seat and the dealer got a ear full. They will be installing my locks in two days. Thanks again.
Ron - I can't stress this enough, [SIZE=36pt]INSTALL THE LOCKS YOURSELF!!!![/SIZE]

It's not hard, just go buy the T-10 Security Torx bit and spend 10 minutes in the garage. Be very careful with the locktite, it eats ABS plastic. Only a drop on the screw threads is needed, NO MORE. Blue loctite or you'll hate life if you ever need to remove the locks.