Bar end helmet locks?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

profireguy

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing some work to my bars (Vista, Bmw's, bar ends) and thought I would try these bar ends from Aerostich. I couldn't find any info on here about anyone using them.

I don't have big helmet storage issues or vibration issues, but these look like they would improve both situations. I am mostly concerned with whether or not there will be problems with these fitting in the FJR's bars, I have not have them off and do not know how deep the bar ends can go in. They do come in 7/8 ths, so diameter should not be an issue.

If anyone can weigh in on whether or not they think these will fit in the bars, or has used these ends, I would appreciate it.

1460ali.jpg

I've had a set of these on my bike for two years now. I think they're great - they look good, are well made, and work as advertised.

I have the set keyed for both sides so I can lock two helmets at once when needed.

BTW, I bought mine directly from Barenders.com

The manufacturer is a FJR owner and the customer service from him has been great.

I've had a set of these on my bike for two years now. I think they're great - they look good, are well made, and work as advertised.
I have the set keyed for both sides so I can lock two helmets at once when needed.

The manufacturer is a FJR owner and the customer service from him has been great.
just barender, no "s" on the end will take you there.

They look similar enough to the heavy throttlemiester, if they are close enough I might have to replace the left one with one of these.

Hrm...

They look similar enough to the heavy throttlemiester, if they are close enough I might have to replace the left one with one of these.
Hrm...
I was just thinking the same thing...

The barender web site says that the feejer uses the 6mm replacement bolt instead of the whole bar end, so it seems like you can keep the left end bar end you're already using. Double hrm...

Hrm...

The barender web site says that the feejer uses the 6mm replacement bolt instead of the whole bar end, so it seems like you can keep the left end bar end you're already using. Double hrm...
You go first :) I'll check it out at the Void Rally HQ :)

although it looks similar enough that I'd bet 99% of the people who look at your bike would never notice they are different.

-MD

Was the installation difficult/any special requirements? I bought a set of these a couple of years ago for a different bike, but when i tried to install them i discovered that that particular bike had the OEM bar-end nuts welded inside the bars. This was an older Jap bike so i naturally assumed that the new Jap FJR would be similar.

Basically my question is if there are any hurdles to overcome to get these to fit into the FJR bars?

ghost:

Can you lock your forks to one side and still lock two helmets without them banging the tank?

From the website it looks like the helmets will naturally hang upside down. Is there a way to lock them upside right so the inside won't get wet if it rains?

Thanks,

ooohhh now that I think about it, this isn't going to help me (or anyone that has a Nolan) at all.

They don't have D rings :/

I've taken to sticking the strap in my top case and then closing the case on the strap between the helmet and the catch. It would take about the same effort to ruin my top case as it would for any of the other locking situations.

-MD

I have a barender on my '06, right side with the matching "dummy" bar end on the left. They do use the welded-in nut inside the bar; installation wasn't any problem and they do look good. Very simple, very clever solution.

I only ride one-up so didn't get but the one lock. Not sure if the potential weight difference between a TM and the barender would make any difference... I have a VistaCruise on mine.

Brian

'06 FJR1300

'89 FJ1200 (for sale)

'90 K75S

'94 VFR750

'85 VF700C Magna

Thanks for the input, I ordered two locks from their website, they have a fitting chart on the site. Even though the FJR has 7/8ths bars, it takes 6mm ends, I would have screwed that up for sure.

I'll try to post up if no one else does, to answer the other questions raised when I get my ends installed. I still have to get the BMW grips and Vista ordered, better get on that....

Renegade- I though about your Nolan, and wondered if these would work if you found a cable like some people here use under the seat, that you could loop through your chin bar? If you search or have seen the other helmet lock threads, you know what I am talking about. That might be handy for coats and such, as well.

ooohhh now that I think about it, this isn't going to help me (or anyone that has a Nolan) at all.
They don't have D rings :/

I've taken to sticking the strap in my top case and then closing the case on the strap between the helmet and the catch. It would take about the same effort to ruin my top case as it would for any of the other locking situations.

-MD
I used goldwing helmet hangers, they slide thru the Nolan lock with no problem then hook loop thru the barender

I got the Barenders from the website yesterday, and am pretty impressed. I ordered the two lock set, so I got two ends that come off, and four keys that open both locks. $94 to my door. They are heavier than stock, didn't have anything to weigh them with, but you can feel the difference while holding them.

Installation should take you less than five minutes, and most of that will be getting the tools, an allen to remove the factory ends, and a straight blade screwdriver to install the barenders. Blue locktite if you feel like it. I am still waiting on my BMW grips, so I will wait till I am done working on the bars, then add the stick tite. They recommend a 3/16th gap between the end of your grip and the lock, which is pretty much where they are without any shimming with washers. If anything, they are a bit more than that with the stock grips. The gap is noticeable, but I am a function over form type of person, and it doesn't bother me.

Operation is simple, remove lock, hang helmet and reinstall lock. You can place the helmet on the bar with the faceshield hole down, at least with my RF1000. It's easier, IMHO if you remove the key and then put the end back on. It is not something I could do one handed, as the end is small, and there is not a lot of slack in the strap with my helmet. It does rest against the tupperware unless you place the helmet on the grip like mentioned above. The instruction included a useful tip, if you place your jacket sleeve on the handlebar first then your helmet, you can secure them both. Of course, "secure" means that your helmet strap could be cut and the whole works taken.

I only find vibes a problem north of 80mph, and for 30 minutes plus. I went out on the interstate, but only for ten to fifteen minutes. I could feel the difference, but not sure if it will be a cure. I think the vista will help more, but it wasn't a big issue that I wanted to resolve, more of a value added feature of the helmet locks.

At first, I thought that I would need to do something to fill the gap between the ends of the bars, even if it was something I removed when they were holding helmets. We'll see if it bothers me in a week, or if I space the new grips to make it less noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure if you are thinking that you are using a standard 6mm bolt, the barender has the bolt built in, it's not like the photo in my first post. Here is a picture of what I got. You can see one assembled lock, and one disassembled one. (maybe, I thought I could upload a pic. maybe not)

"Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed" What crap.

I tried to use my profile pic to get this on here, which makes it tiny. I have never had trouble uploading on any other forum, I can't seem to find any other place to upload a photo from my computer. If you have to webpic link everything, that sucks. Look at my profile if you want to see the photo.