Bar End Weights - Brand Preferences???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallara

Reaction score
This question may be posted in the wrong section... Maybe it should be in "Technical" or the like. I dunoo', as I am pretty new here. If it's in the wrong spot please just move it and let me know where it went...

Anyway,

I am a big believer in the near magical qualities of heavy bar-end weights to damp handlebars (and particularly aluminum ones...) to be as close to dead smooth as possible. Also, they do have an additional, IMHO, benefit of providing a bit more crash protection in the event of a low speed shunt.

I have been running "Ricky" (Renthal Fat aluminum bars) on my BMW with a Throttlemeister set-up, and it has been great. Throttlemeister and its twin bar-end weight for the left did much to smooth out the mirrors on my Beemer and make life easier on the hands.

Now I know the FJR is smoooooooooooooooooth, and mine is great in this respect, but there ar still a couple of buzzy spots in the rev range, so I want to try some aftermarket weights. I want to skip the Throttlemeister set-up as I have already purchased an Audiovox CCS-100 crusie control and one of Skyway's brackets for it. Out there in the marketplace are ones from Top Gun, Manic Salmander, Motovation, etc., etc., etc....

Question is - which one do some of you folks prefer, and why?

Any mount better and tighter, or look better, than others?

There seems to be a variance in weights between the different brands... Any particular weight the *magic number*?

Without a doubt the Salamanders are the heaviest I have found, but they do look... well... different.

Your thoughts, experiences, preferences, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dallara

I am a big believer in the near magical qualities of heavy bar-end weights to damp handlebars (and particularly aluminum ones...) to be as close to dead smooth as possible.
Question is - which one do some of you folks prefer, and why?
I think the tooth fairy probably has more magical qualities than bar end weights to damper handlebar vibrations but I have the Top Gun bar weights because they were for sale at FJR Goodies when I visited there one day. I couldn't tell any difference in handlebar vibration after I installed them but they stick out so far they should make good sliders if I ever go down.

I also have Top Gun Bar end wieghts. Can't say it make a whole lot of difference either. But you'll probably here otherwise from many different folks.

I agree with MCRIDER, I don't think my Top Gun (massive) bar end weights make a damn bit of difference. The damnpening quality is negligible. But the make great big handhold knobs (and sliders). Sometimes I actually hold the bar ends instead of the grips. Yes, I get quite bored at times.

Save your money. Buy something else. Bar ends are a waste of money.

If you just REALLY have to get some, there was a forum member who makes them and sells them here. I think they may even be larger than the Top Guns.

BTW, this should be in PARTS AND ACCESSORIES. TWN will probably let you know that. :eek:

BTW, this should be in PARTS AND ACCESSORIES. TWN will probably let you know that. :eek:
Beat him to it. Moving thread to it's new home for the FNG thread starter.

I'm in agreement that bar-end weights have perhaps a small amount of impact on vibes. A throttle body synch is, by far, more effective. And, I think a different set of grips.....like BMW sport grips helped.

Don't get me wrong. I have the top gun units and they're very cool and make my penis feel 1" longer than it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong. I have the top gun units and they're very cool and make my penis feel 1" longer than it is.

So that makes it feel.......oh...........like it's now a whole 2"?

:D

Tsk, tsk! I can't believe you left one out there for me. You're slipping my friend.

I have the Top Gun bar-end weights. Don't think they did anything for the vibes. Better grips were a big improvement for me. I can't see one manufacturer of bar-end weights being any different that another in terms of effectiveness. Strictly personal preference. I will say that FJRGoodies is a friend of the FJR community so I throw them some $$$ when I can. Owner Dan Denchel was instrumental in helping to gain constructive results in reference to "the tick", and is a major sponsor and co-organizer of this year's WFO, which will the THE fjr party of the year.

Here's a close-up of the newer, 2nd-generation Top Gun End Weight from FJRGoodies.com:

2ndGenLG.jpg

Thanks, Guys...

One, for moving this thread where it needed to be (I'll figure all that out here shortly, I promise...), and for all the feedback so far.

Funny all the FJR riders saying the difference was negligible...

They made a world of difference on my BMW, and they used to work wonders when we would put them *inside* our short bars on Honda CB-750-F's, CB-900-F's, and CB-1100-F's.

Still, I'll probably get some, if for no other reasons than I much prefer the appearance of big, brushed, semi-polished stainless-steel pummeling hammers out there at the ends of the bars, and that they may help some as sliders in a crash. Already got some GSG Moto sliders for the 2006, though I wish these had stainless steel or aluminum bobbins instead of plastic... so I guess taking some more prevention measures isn't a bad idea.

BTW, personally I can't stand the OEM Yamaha grips, and some BMW grips, just like those on my R-1150-R, are already on the way from Chicago BMW.

Thanks again, and please, keep those ideas and suggestions coming!

Dallara

I have the Manic Salmander ones. They have a different shape from others.

Do they work? They help. Right hand still gets numb at times. 3-4 thou. RPM's seems to be the worst area.

Buy a throttle lock to release your grip. Gives hand a break to relax.

I agree with all the negative remarks about the effectiveness ( or lack thereof ) of bar ends. If you think they dress up your bike, then get them. Otherwise, I find them to be totally useless.

I put mine on the day I got the bike... so I don't really know how much of an effect they're having. Regardless, I love the look... they are custom made by a guy named Jarmo (who occasionally posts on here and the UK forum).

Pretty sweet... :thumbsup:

Jarmo1.jpg

I got the Top Gun bar ends soon after I got my bike last year. I agree w/ other comments abt the effectiveness (actually, lack of) in reducing vibes. I'm hoping they'll make good sliders if that event ever happens.

I picked up a set of Bar end weights from www.motovationusa.com. I did notice a bit of a difference. I took a 100+ mile ride after changing them and it was smoother on the hands. I also got a nice set of Frame sliders too. Check them out...nice prices too I thought.

BTW, the weights are 300 grams, look very nice on the bike.

Bar End Weights

Frame Sliders

Forgot to mention...these links are for the '06 model, they also have others too.

I picked up a set of Bar end weights from www.motovationusa.com. I did notice a bit of a difference. I took a 100+ mile ride after changing them and it was smoother on the hands. I also got a nice set of Frame sliders too. Check them out...nice prices too I thought.
BTW, the weights are 300 grams, look very nice on the bike.

Bar End Weights

Frame Sliders

Forgot to mention...these links are for the '06 model, they also have others too.
I ordered the Manic Salamanders for the FJR because they are 1 lb each.

300 grams converted to lbs. is 0.661 lbs. that's less than 2/3 of a lb. :blink:

The heavier the weight, the better they should dampen the frequency. IMHO

As for the difference they make, I would have to say negligible.

Real benefits are handlebar extension/slider that is easy to replace if you go down, etc.

Which is best? IMHO, they are just dead weight, all about the same quality (assuming they are all machined Stainless) and it's all about looks and price when deciding on which one to get.

I have the above weights by Jarmo... bought ONLY because of the looks. I liked them better than the rest of the weights I saw. I would have bought something else if I liked it better. BTW, Jarmo's weights are top-quality and he is a stand-up guy.

Opinions are like... well you know... and we all have them!

I had a previous set from FJR Goodies. I removed them and went w/ the Manic Salamanders. They mount differently and I have felt a difference. They are worth the $$. Actually I bought the black powdercoat, but may swap out for the stainless ones.