Bar Weight - manic salamander

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I gave a thumbs-up last year in the vendor/mfg forum.

Got the brushed s.s.

Very happy. About to revisit them as I am going to mount handguards (BMW R1150).

In the picture, they seen very large? long. I just dont know if the weight will help with the vibration.

Yes, I gave a thumbs-up last year in the vendor/mfg forum.Got the brushed s.s.

Very happy. About to revisit them as I am going to mount handguards (BMW R1150).

In the picture, they seen very large? long. I just dont know if the weight will help with the vibration.

A buddy of mine has them on his FJR. They are pretty large, as you note, but they look good. He likes them a lot and feels like they help. I just ordered some based on his feedback and the way they looked on his bike.

I just put a set on my bike recently. What I have noticed is that they don't necessarily remove/reduce the vibration itself, but reduce the vibration frequency. I still feel vibration, but it's not as "buzzy" and irritating; it's just there. If your goal is to eliminate vibration, these won't do it. If you're just aiming for more comfort, they seem to work well.

I was concerned about the size also, but they look like they belong there:

completed_bike_rider_view.jpg

Looks good.

Great picture.

I just put a set on my bike recently. What I have noticed is that they don't necessarily remove/reduce the vibration itself, but reduce the vibration frequency. I still feel vibration, but it's not as "buzzy" and irritating; it's just there. If your goal is to eliminate vibration, these won't do it. If you're just aiming for more comfort, they seem to work well.
I was concerned about the size also, but they look like they belong there:

completed_bike_rider_view.jpg

I have the Stainless Steel throttle lock version, and I like them. They look nice and each side is a full 16oz. And they are cheaper and easier to use then a Throttle Meister, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't slam me, but here's a thought that I wanted the knowledgeable ones to look at and suggest.

My hands go numb in the first half hour of riding, especially the throttle one from the buzz in the bars. I am aware of various solutions out there to mitigate this issue. However, not sure if this has been tried before - would some kind of rubber isolation between the bars and the triple tree help reduce/eliminate the vibration? Or is that a daft idea from a safety viewpoint?

Please don't slam me, but here's a thought that I wanted the knowledgeable ones to look at and suggest.
My hands go numb in the first half hour of riding, especially the throttle one from the buzz in the bars. I am aware of various solutions out there to mitigate this issue. However, not sure if this has been tried before - would some kind of rubber isolation between the bars and the triple tree help reduce/eliminate the vibration? Or is that a daft idea from a safety viewpoint?
Search for any of the million thumbs-ups for "GRIP PUPPIES". The only diff is you'd be isolating the "buzz" at the grips, not at the triple-tree connection.

RH

That's a good thought, but upon closer examination, it wouldn't work out very well.

The handle bars are 2 separate units which pin into and bolt on the top triple tree. The form a link between you and the solid handling of the bike. If it were possible to put a rubber joint at that location then you would have 2 independent levers. That would add a major degree of uncertainty to the feedback you get while initiating any steering inputs. In my opinion, it would destroy any confidence you may have during a brisk ride.

The best place to add any cushy material is at the hand grips. Grip Puppies is one product that work well, there are others. The thing that really seems to help is some type of device that holds the throttle open for you. It can be as simple as a Vista Cruise type of throttle lock, or as complex as a Motorcycle Cruise electronic cruise control. The idea is to keep the hands light on the hand grips.

I find that when you are no longer required to keep the right hand on the grip, at times you really don't have to hold on at all. :D

I have the bar end weights that Mr. Pickles posted a picture of, they do work as advertised. The buzz is at a different rpm range, they look cool too. B)

Keep searching, try a few things. Do the simple things first. It's your bike, you don't have to live with it the way it is - Make it fit you!

Brodie

I've always been a big fan of Throttle Rockers. I've been using one for years. The advantage is that you can move your throttle hand around from time to time to relieve the stress, and rather than having to grip the throttle, you can use your palm as a means to control it. On long trips it's a real plus.

Of course, the ultimate is to just install a Audiovox Cruise Control. For the LD rider, it's "a must," IMHO.

My old XS620 Special had rubber mounted handlebars. It was horrible. Not that it was a superb handling motorcycle to begin with, it just made the whole front end feel mushy. And it didn't do much to quell the vibes.

I've been using a throttle rocker for 13 years. Easy and cheap and works fairly well.

I've got MNFJR05's custom bar end weights with Grip Puppies...works great!!

BarEndWeights001-1.jpg

I've got the old style brushed manic salamanders and they did seem to help a bit with the vibes, plus they look cool.