battery replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Jumped it this am and runs fine, batt. is 4ish years old, factory original.I have always doubted the resiliency of a totally discharged batt., so eventually will be replacing with? Yuasa GT14B-4 is a proprietary Yamaha model, sealed at the factory and Y dealers only, my thoughts are if is a factory originated, how long does it sit at the dealers? Do they keep the charge up? A direct replacement per my knowledgeable parts guy would be a YT14B-4, same dimensions,specs etc. and they get it in and service it up properly before selling. Input?

It will be another year or so before I replace my battery, but I always like to stay in touch with the facts. Nice test. Never heard of any of these batteries before. I suppose you can order them online?

GP

Among the lead/acid AGM batteries Motobatt has some actual tests that indicate that it may be a better battery. Certainly YUSA and Westco are well known names and both are successfully used by many here on the Forum. Then there is the new kid on the block that promises to smack down all the others but, 1) it is so new there is no long term history from which to determine reliability and 2) the price. Check out Shorai.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ballistic vs Shoria 2nd Gen Batteries... any opinions or preferences? After reading a handful of Posts I went to my local Yamaha dealer to buy a Shoria Battery and the parts guy suggested getting a Ballistic Battery. Unfortunately he was out of stock on either brand, but stated the Ballistic Battery has more cranking power, has a 3 year warrantee, and is more efficient in colder temperatures. An on-line Head to Head review of both batteries also commented that the Shoria terminal posts appear flimsy being constructed of sheet metal that would appear capable of snapping off either from stress and vibration or being slightly overtightened. Ballistic appears better constructed but they are brand spanking new, with no apparent track record which I could find on this Forum. Ballistic also does not appear to provide the foam pads (as Shoria does)to fit the smaller dimensioned battery securely. Both batteries retail for $189...ouch but they both claim atleast 200/300% lifespan over OEM. My 2008 stock is due for a replacement. Any one out there with the Ballistic Battery?

In case anyone sees this old thread and is looking for a Motobatt, I just ordered one HERE for $69 shipped.
Hi Harald,

How was the fitment of the MotoBatt?
I haven't actually installed my Motobatt in the FJR yet, but it looks to be identical in size as OEM. BTW, many others have already installed this battery with no known issues.

December20111.jpg

December20112.jpg

In case anyone sees this old thread and is looking for a Motobatt, I just ordered one HERE for $69 shipped.
Hi Harald,

How was the fitment of the MotoBatt?
I installed it last week and it is the same size as the factory battery except it is very slightly taller. I didn't actually measure the height difference, but the stock retaining strap still fits to secure the battery (although more snug than with the factory battery).

What I really like is the robust cranking that now occurs that gives me confidence that the bike will start after sitting outside at work all day on cold days. My 4 year old, 57,000 mile factory battery had been showing signs of weakness and especially on those below freezing morning starts.

Looks like a great price and I love the color. Easy to find. :rolleyes: Gonna PM a guy who had a Shorai and see if he wants to post here. After some issues, I'd like to know if he still thinks it's the shizzle.

Looks like a great price and I love the color. Easy to find. :rolleyes: Gonna PM a guy who had a Shorai and see if he wants to post here. After some issues, I'd like to know if he still thinks it's the shizzle.
I had one slow start in November, but it could have been an anomaly. The normal battery state is 13.6 volts, and it is 14.1 of 14.2 during operation. Then again, we have not had winter, all winter. Today was a record high in Sacramento with a high of 64 F. Amazing that the seasonal passes are open. I'm going to start my touring season in January. :clapping:

Shorai LFE 18 works well here, but I would be concerned in the northeast or any very cold climate.

Just installed a Motobatt. $69 delivered. That's quite a value. Haven't noticed an increase in cranking speed, but my ECU is in a much better place once started. The cold high idle is more consistent, and lasts longer. The cold hesitation off idle is gone. All positive.

Just ordered one from this site https://www.bikebatts.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=MBT14B4&x=22&y=10

$69 bucks delivered!!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:
What happened to the price? I just pulled up the link and it's $94.02! Did you have a coupon code? Did it go up $25 in just a few days?
This definitely looks like the battery to go for :clapping: The price on the Motobatt site is $94.99 delivered in the CONUS but they only deliver to the UK using UPS. So... on top of the $94.99, there would be UPS delivery (probably $20 but could be more), import duty and VAT, at least $25, UPS 'handling fee' for gathering the import duty & VAT, another $13. Estimated total $153, NFW!

Hunted around the UK websites and got one for £40.00 delivered ($61.20).

My OEM battery is still holding out for now so I just plan to keep this one on the shelf until........ :rolleyes:

Don

Another good source for an AGM type battery is Batterymart dot com. Just ordered one for my FJR. Have them in 4 other bikes with one 6 years old. I believe I paid $69 plus shipping.

Just ordered one from this site https://www.bikebatts.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=MBT14B4&x=22&y=10

$69 bucks delivered!!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:
What happened to the price? I just pulled up the link and it's $94.02! Did you have a coupon code? Did it go up $25 in just a few days?
No coupon code when I ordered mine. But you are correct in the new price. :angry:

Try searching google for that part number and you'll probably find it for much less than $94.02