Battery shelf life w/o acid added

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmjf86

Reaction score
I need to get a new battery for one of my bikes and the vendor with the lowest price for the battery I want offers free shipping over $75 which is no problem as the battery I need is $92 but the battery on another bike is several years old and it's replacement would cost me $73 + $11 shipping if I purchased it separately after my existing battery on the other bike gives up the ghost. Both batteries are "AGM, maintenance free" and are shipped w/ separate acid packs that need to be added to the battery. My question is if I bought the $73 battery for the other bike now to combine the free shipping, would there be any "decay" if I kept the battery and acid separate in a dry, cool, dark environment over a year or more and added the acid when I needed to replace the battery?

I believe batteries are chemically stable for years without acid in them. Others will correct that if I am wrong.

I didn't know they were selling AGM batteries with seperate acid packs. I thought that was just traditional lead/acid.

Keep the dry battery sealed while in storage, especially if you live somewhere humid.

Last edited by a moderator:
The clock does not start until the electrolyte is added. Battery life is infinite. Once battery acid is added, allow the AGM to absorb the acid at least 1/2 hour, and longest life is achieved by slowly charging the battery at low (1.5) amps.

The last two AGM batteries I bought were both shipped dry with the acid in a pre-measured string of containers to be punched down through the protective film on top of each cell and allowed to drain into the cell. Tool anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes to complete followed by about 8 hours on a Battery Tender Jr. to fully charge them. An A Delco and a generic from WalMart for an acquaintances CBR 600 and another Ninja something. Both worked

Pretty sure AGM batteries are sealed from the factory and arrive charged up. The batteries that show up with acid packs are standard lead/acid batteries that are sealed/maintenance free. After filling it, the owner seals it and charges it before use. Not the same as an AGM battery.

AGM batteries may either be "factory activated" or "dry charged" with the acid pack to be added by the end user.

Pretty sure AGM batteries are sealed from the factory and arrive charged up. The batteries that show up with acid packs are standard lead/acid batteries that are sealed/maintenance free. After filling it, the owner seals it and charges it before use. Not the same as an AGM battery.
A.J. YUASA always ships dry. Less chance for damage, and it is pretty easy to activate. The ones you buy from the dealer were shipped dry and filled by the dealership. They may or may not condition the battery with low amp charging, which is why I prefer to do it myself.