Battery Size for Gen1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefsantiago

Reaction score
My bike is an 2003 which I bought used. On one of the boy's ride in AZ, I had to purchase a battery while on the road as on the first day, my bike would only start by pushing. As I didn't want to hold the schedule, I decided to just pickup the battery and install it upon checking in next hotel stop. To my surprise, the dealear gave me a 12V14B-4 but the battery I have is smaller, BT12A-BS. I've looked all over for a crosscheck but as the dealer said, they gave me the correct replacement. My battery holder doesn't looked like it was modified but I have to confirm if I'm the only one that have this size.

Any 2003 that has the same size out there?

My bike is an 2003 which I bought used. On one of the boy's ride in AZ, I had to purchase a battery while on the road as on the first day, my bike would only start by pushing. As I didn't want to hold the schedule, I decided to just pickup the battery and install it upon checking in next hotel stop. To my surprise, the dealear gave me a 12V14B-4 but the battery I have is smaller, BT12A-BS. I've looked all over for a crosscheck but as the dealer said, they gave me the correct replacement. My battery holder doesn't looked like it was modified but I have to confirm if I'm the only one that have this size.
Any 2003 that has the same size out there?
The 14B-4 is the right one for the 03.

You got the correct battery from your dealer.

Voltage 12

Amp Hour 12

CCA* 135

Length 6"

Width 2 3/4"

Height 5 3/4"

The battery that was in your motorcycle may have been an act of desperation or cheapness frugality by the PO. The battery that you removed should be roughly like this:

Model: (YT)/BT12A-BS Bike Master AGM Battery

Type: AGM Maintenance Free

Volts: 12v

Amps: 10.00 Amps

Dimensions:.6" x 3.4375" x 4.1875"

Weight: 6.20 lbs

The big differences between the goner and the new one are: the new battery is 12 amps vs 10 amps and the new battery has higher cold cranking amps. The weight difference of 6.2 lbs vs 10 lbs for your new battery tell the tale of higher current and much stronger cold cranking ability.

I got a new Scorpion battery from BatteryStuff.com it has 210 CCA for $62.00 shipped, for that price you can get 3 for the price of 1 OEM

The battery that was in your motorcycle may have been an act of desperation or cheapness frugality by the PO. The battery that you removed should be roughly like this:

The big differences between the goner and the new one are: the new battery is 12 amps vs 10 amps and the new battery has higher cold cranking amps. The weight difference of 6.2 lbs vs 10 lbs for your new battery tell the tale of higher current and much stronger cold cranking ability.
Hmm. If it was just for cheaper alternative, the housing will not fit the new battery as the "L" bar that locks it in place will only hold the smaller of the 2.v I would rather use the new one only if I could. Looks like I may have to spring for the original battery holder if that's the case. Another thing I'm concerned about is the battery not holding more than 9V now after 3 days in a battery tender. Looks like the 4 months from the time they gave the battery took it's toll by making the battery weaker. I'll see if the manufacturer will warrranty the battery to put my bke back with its original battery.

Hmm. If it was just for cheaper alternative, the housing will not fit the new battery as the "L" bar that locks it in place will only hold the smaller of the 2.v I would rather use the new one only if I could. Looks like I may have to spring for the original battery holder if that's the case. Another thing I'm concerned about is the battery not holding more than 9V now after 3 days in a battery tender. Looks like the 4 months from the time they gave the battery took it's toll by making the battery weaker. I'll see if the manufacturer will warrranty the battery to put my bke back with its original battery.
I have received low batteries from dealers (aftermarket). One was shot as soon as I poured acid into it for my Duc, maybe partially my fault, I poured it in too quick??? It bubbled, heated up like I've never felt a battery that hot, had a full charge, kept bubbling, minor bubbles but non-the less. It went down hill in a few weeks.

I just recently bought one for the FeeJ, cheaper no brand Chinese battery from Cycle Gear. It had about 9V in it when I got home, I put it on the charger never went over 11.5V, and after taking it off the charger, I could watch the my DMM slowly go down 1/10 Volt every few seconds. I returned that one and bought one online from BikeBandit.com. I also worried it would be an old worn down battery. My old battery had more volts then the new one; however, I think the old ones amperage was going away as the battery felt low on liquid. After a few days on the bike, I ride it daily, it was spinning the crank effortlessly.

You just never know....

BTW BikeBandit.com has OEM batteries, not Yuasa, but from Taiwan. It has the proper Yammie OEM part number and it's only $100. Most other places ranged for a OEM or Yuasa for $140-$300.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have received low batteries from dealers (aftermarket). One was shot as soon as I poured acid into it for my Duc, maybe partially my fault, I poured it in too quick??? It bubbled, heated up like I've never felt a battery that hot, had a full charge, kept bubbling, minor bubbles but non-the less. It went down hill in a few weeks.

I just recently bought one for the FeeJ, cheaper no brand Chinese battery from Cycle Gear. It had about 9V in it when I got home, I put it on the charger never went over 11.5V, and after taking it off the charger, I could watch the my DMM slowly go down 1/10 Volt every few seconds. I returned that one and bought one online from BikeBandit.com. I also worried it would be an old worn down battery. My old battery had more volts then the new one; however, I think the old ones amperage was going away as the battery felt low on liquid. After a few days on the bike, I ride it daily, it was spinning the crank effortlessly.

You just never know....

BTW BikeBandit.com has OEM batteries, not Yuasa, but from Taiwan. It has the proper Yammie OEM part number and it's only $100. Most other places ranged for a OEM or Yuasa for $140-$300.

Good luck.
Thanks for sharing. I did buy another replacement battery from Cycle Gear which is working fine on the bike now. I plan on contacting Bike Master to claim warranty on the correct size battery for my Gen I and convert the holder back to OEM.

I'll let you know what happens.