Battery Tender Connection Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratchman

Reaction score
I am asking for ideas on where I can put the connection for a Battery Tender so that it can be used for the connection to a tankbag mounted Autocom powered through a power distribution board. OK. I searched the site for this and couldn't find anything specifically addressing this. Mostly, I found info. relating to using BMW type connectors with the rubber rain plugs and installing that in one of the black A,B,C, or D panels which could be used to connect a charger. Thing is, I don't have any other need for any such connectors and would really like to avoid cutting another hole in the panels for this. Plus, I would have to buy another male connector adapter along with the female plug to be mounted. If this is the best I can do, I can live with it. It's not the $$$, but the hole which seems so unnecessary to me that I would like to avoid. Does anyone have a creative solution to where I can store/mount the included Battery Tender connector that will go to the battery? If this post is redundant, please point me in the right direction. Thanks for the help.

Can't help you there. I have the Yuasa Automatic 12V 900 mA Battery Charger / Maintainer.

It has eyelet hookups that I can leave screwed on the battery terminals and just plug into the power unit when I need to use it.

I know it doesn't help you, but it is there for others to see if they are shopping.

Ratchetman, I do use my Battery Tender via a "BMW plug" in the B panel. However, I also run Gerbings heated clothing using an SAE plug, the two prong deal that is also supported by the Battery Tender. I've run a fused lead from the battery, through a NAPA silicone sparkplug wire sheath aside the engine compartment to the area where seat and tank meet. When not in use, I coil it under the seat.

The line has a matching SAE plug which back has been filled with black RTV for a waterproof seal. Tied to the main line, it stays put when the line is in use, and then provides a waterproof raincover when attached. In well over 100,000 miles of rain riding, my exposed SAE plugs have never caused a problem, but this is one step more toward Totally Secure.

Best wishes.

I charge my battery using a Powerlet/BMW plug in the D Panel. I think it is D, the one over the battery. I connect my GPS there otherwise. I use this connecter which, as you can see, is available at my online store.

Can't help you there.  I have the Yuasa Automatic 12V 900 mA Battery Charger / Maintainer.It has eyelet hookups that I can leave screwed on the battery terminals and just plug into the power unit when I need to use it.

I know it doesn't help you, but it is there for others to see if they are shopping.
FJRottie: I think the Yuasa uses the same SAE style plug that the Battery Tender uses(?), so the idea is the same...just to use the one hook up from the battery to both charge the battery and run the Autocom setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ratchetman, I do use my Battery Tender via a "BMW plug" in the B panel. However, I also run Gerbings heated clothing using an SAE plug, the two prong deal that is also supported by the Battery Tender. I've run a fused lead from the battery, through a NAPA silicone sparkplug wire sheath aside the engine compartment to the area where seat and tank meet. When not in use, I coil it under the seat.
The line has a matching SAE plug which back has been filled with black RTV for a waterproof seal. Tied to the main line, it stays put when the line is in use, and then provides a waterproof raincover when attached. In well over 100,000 miles of rain riding, my exposed SAE plugs have never caused a problem, but this is one step more toward Totally Secure.

Best wishes.
rdfrantz: I get the idea I think, but I can't pucture the setup you describe with the RTV waterproof seal. Sounds like it might be something I could use. Is it possible for you to post pictures or maybe email some to me?

I charge my battery using a Powerlet/BMW plug in the D Panel. I think it is D, the one over the battery. I connect my GPS there otherwise. I use this connecter which, as you can see, is available at my online store.
Mr.Bike Effects: This may be my first opportunity to make a purchase from your site. I've admired much of it's content for some time now but have'nt bought from you yet. It's coming whether or not it's this occasion! The setup you describe is exactly what I have seen and heard discussed. I'm sure it would work perfectly, I just really don't want to cut another hole in another panel if I can avoid it. Thanks for the reminder link.

This is basically the setup I just ordered from him. Got the dash panel plug, the stubby adapter to convert it to a cigarette lighter for powering accessories, and the adapter for my battery tender. Lookin forward to getting it on Monday.

Well the set up I've got is I have an un-switched SAE connector under the seat that I can connect my air compressor to to fill my tires with. I can also just pull the seat and hook my battery tender to it if I plan on parking it for any amount of time.

I just wired in my Battery Tender. All I did was attach the rings directly to the battery and run the plug up the front of the tripple clamp and through the wire loom along side the brake hose. I unplugged the protective cap from the wire end and wrapped it around the brake hose then plugged it back in so the plug won't slip away. Works fine and didn't require making any holes in the plastic panels.

If your power supply to the tank bag is going to be switched via the key, then it is not an appropriate battery charger connection.

Similar to Rogue, I have an SAE plug under the pillion seat that does triple duty as battery charger connection, cell phone charger connection and pillion electric vest power, depending on my needs of the moment. (I like to keep the phone out of the weather).

For waterproof connections, consider using dual-wall weatherproof heatshrink tube. The inner wall is basically hot-melt glue so when the heat is applied to the tube to shrink it, the joint is sealed quite effectively with the glue layer. Much less mess than tubes of RTV. In fact, a package of short lengths can easily be carried in an emergency tool kit and used for solder-less wire repair on the road -- all you need is a lighter to shrink it with.

I ran the rear Jastek plug (above the left passenger foot peg) unswitched. I can pull up to the tool pegboard in the garage, where I have the Battery Tender mounted, and plug in within seconds of dismounting from the bike.

The front Jastek (pannel D) is a switched outlet in my config so that when I turn off the bike, all the electronics in the tank bag are also turned off. The tank bag is always plugged in when I use it, so the rear Jastek outlet is the one I can always depend on being available when I pull into the garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
My SAE BT connector rests just below panel 'D'? forward of the battery, easy to reach whenever I need it.

As stated above, the connection needs to come directly off the battery.

I believe MM2 has a powerlett connector in his panel 'D'? wired direct for BT duties, he's so posh ya know. :D

Thanks for all the excellent ideas. I'm going cheap on this one. I'm going with:

1. the slapnpop placement :)

2. Skyway's idea of just leaving it underneath the pane <_<

3. Routing the SAE connector along the brakeline to the handlebar area :erm:

Then, once I prove to myself that cheap is not good here, I'll go with "the Bounce option". ;)

I am sincerely grateful to you all for sharing your ideas.

I do the same.

Use an UNSWITCHED outlet, fused. The B/T (I prefer the Craftsman clone--lots of problems with B/Ts, but never with the Sears) comes with perm-mount connectors. Cut them off and put a powerlet plug on instead. Be VERY careful of your positive and negative--checking it with a multimeter isn't a bad idea at all.

The outlet is then good for heated clothing too.

I have my battery tender hard-mounted to the battery. That way I just plug in my tender and don't have to fiddle with the clamps and or remove the panels each time I need to charge.

As a side not and I am not sure if anybody knows, but does the battery tender plug work with the Gerbing heated clothing plug? Just curious.