Battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made in China, so it has Chinese quality even if it is made with rest of the world internally designed parts. At 9.5 lbs it weighs less than the 10.1 lb Westco battery, yet the Chinese battery claims 210 CCA and the Westco 135 CCA. I far as I know, it is physically impossible for the lighter Chinese battery to make 210 CCA. I wonder how many other specs that it claims, it can't achieve. I dunno how they can even purchase the guts for the battery for $40, let alone assemble it. Then again, you can buy two of these batteries for about the cost of one Westco battery.

From the ad in eBay:

• Advanced lead-calcium technology pumps up starting power
  • AGM (Gel) batteries hold voltage longer and need less charging in standby or storage model

An advantage of an AGM battery is that the glass mats help support the lead plates. Calcium is added to lead plates to help the plates stay supported and reduce plate buckling. The less calcium in the plates, the more power a battery can make. A purported advantage of AGM batteries is that they can reduce calcium yet the ad touts the calcium. Once again, I don't see how this can be a 210 CCA battery with calcium in the plates.

Contact Jeff at Bike Effects and see what his price is for a Westco battery, and ask if he offers a 'secret' discount code. Then compare shipping costs between eBay and Jeff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Alan, I really wondered what the difference between the batteries that cost more than others is.

I'd like to not spend as much as last time. This will be the 3rd battery in my FJR. Original went almost 50,000 miles. Not quite, but in that neighborhood. The 2nd, which is a Westco which has been giving up the ghost for a little while, brought me up to where I am now at 78k.

Admittedly, I do not have power in the shed where it lives & neither of the batteries were ever hooked to a tender. But on the positive side of that, my bike doesn't usually sit idle very long, either.

Again, thanks for the specific information, Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'd stay away from those cheap chinese batteries... The $20 or so bucks you save now will be lost when you have a $150 tow bill for your FJR because your cheap battery failed 20 miles outside of Bumfuk Nebraska...

Get a Wesco and ride with peace of mind.

Pete

If I only got 28K out of a Westco battery I don't think I would be buying another.

My first battery was still working at 65K and 5.5 years but very tired.

I replaced the original with a Westco from Bike Effects 2 years ago and it seems as good as new...after sitting for a week or so it still reads 12.9 on the Datel. I don't think I've ever had a battery that read higher than 12.8- most about 12.7.. Most of the time it does stay on a BT tho..

I'm running that battery. 2 years now, no issues and no tender all winter long and it fires the bike right up.

This will be the 3rd winter it's going to sit with that battery. Lets see what happens in the spring.